Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 8)  (Read 37217 times)

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 8)
« Reply #240 on: March 18, 2017, 02:23:34 PM »
I have never had to run on high with the tb.
Med sometimes but low if I want plenty of room
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline mtahir

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #241 on: April 14, 2017, 08:23:49 PM »
I was wondering if the remote port on the Sony PCM-M10 can be used as a lanc port? The PCM-M10 comes with a remote that has a 2.5mm/TRRS connector. Lanc cables tend to be 2.5mm/TRS types from what I can tell. Does anyone know if it's possible?

Thanks

Offline wppcproductions

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #242 on: August 03, 2017, 05:26:16 PM »
Concerning the battery drain, is the m10 set to "nimh"? Long shot, I know. Weird stuff happening to yours, my experience matches others. No issues whatsoever.

The M10 is battery savy  compared to the R09hr.I use the same rechargeable batteries and never had issues of running flat in middle of recordings.Most live  recordings I do run 2 1/2 to 3/1/2 hours long.Since running time info is different  from everybody here .The best thing to do  is run a test of your own is let it record something not important like the radio and let the fully charged  batteries run flat.The time length will be known with the  full length of what was recorded.You always can delete the test file unless you heard something  interesting that was recorded from the radio.

Offline CaptainSumo

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #243 on: October 24, 2017, 04:46:44 AM »

(1) That Sony has discontinued the World's best pocket recorder.  I have two but then again, I simply don't understand why a company would discontinue such a great little unit.

(2) Putting aside the corporate decision to discontinue it, not having a replacement for this market seems silly.  Will I have to get a third unit?  Jeez.

I very much suspect they discontinued the M10 because it was just a bit too good for something at that price, and it was disrupting Sony's sales and pricing model. If everybody was buying the M10 and attaching it to external mics, instead of shelling out the cash for Sony's premium models, Sony had to take action. Simply adding $200 to the RRP would have caused more hassle and negative publicity than anyone wanted, so the alternative was to discontinue and make sure the replacement wouldn't be useable in the same way.

Another possible theory is that Sony's Sales and Marketing department is staggeringly incompetent and didn't realise how many people used this unit. Considering how successful Sony is, I don't think that can be the case.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 04:50:39 AM by CaptainSumo »

Offline KenH

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #244 on: October 24, 2017, 10:09:26 AM »
Wondering how would you connect a Lunatec V3 to the Sony M10.  The V3 has optical and SPDIF and XLR outs only.

TIA   
Neumann KM184s > Lunatec V3 > XLR > Tascam HD-P2

Offline willndmb

Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (1)

Offline willndmb

Offline KenH

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #248 on: October 25, 2017, 09:23:46 AM »
Didn't realize "they" made XLR pair > 1/8".  Thanks!    :coolguy:
Neumann KM184s > Lunatec V3 > XLR > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Niux

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #249 on: October 25, 2017, 02:31:59 PM »
Hi to all!
I'm new to the game, hopefully starting with a PCM-M10 if I manage to buy one.
I've read dozens of posts in these threads, but maybe with some questions I can find answers easily.
- What is the best windshield for the PCM-M10? I can't find the Sony one anymore, but online there are for exmaple Rycote 055442, Gutmann MWS-M10, Movo WS-R10/Movo WST-R10....of course the Rycote is more expensive, is it worth the money?
- What about the batteries? Does the PCM-M10 work with the modern rechargeable lithium ones (like these SOEKAVIA Rechargeable Lithium Polymer 1.5V Battery https://i.imgur.com/9UsHGz2.jpg) or better stay with the normal Ni-Mh?

Thank you guys!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 02:49:05 PM by Niux »

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #250 on: October 25, 2017, 03:15:30 PM »
Hi to all!
I've read dozens of posts in these threads, but maybe with some questions I can find answers easily.
- What is the best windshield for the PCM-M10? I can't find the Sony one anymore, but online there are for exmaple Rycote 055442, Gutmann MWS-M10, Movo WS-R10/Movo WST-R10....of course the Rycote is more expensive, is it worth the money?
- What about the batteries? Does the PCM-M10 work with the modern rechargeable lithium ones (like these SOEKAVIA Rechargeable Lithium Polymer 1.5V Battery https://i.imgur.com/9UsHGz2.jpg) or better stay with the normal Ni-Mh?

Thank you guys!

As great as the M10 is, unless you're going to be recording quiet acoustic music, you're going to want some external mics. If you're planning on running internals, you're probably going to be better off with another deck. That being said, I would think the Movo's are going to give you the best bang for the buck. I use a set on my AT4041's and love 'em. I wouldn't waste the money on the Rycote when the M10's mics aren't that great to begin with.

You should be able to grab a set of Church mics or AT853's and a battery box pretty cheap. And make much better recordings. Just my $0.02.
Mics: ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-70D

Offline Niux

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #251 on: October 25, 2017, 03:38:11 PM »
You are right, in my post I forgot to specify that I will use the internal mics for field recording (so quiet nature sounds)...here comes the question about the windshield :facepalm:
Thanks anyway, I'm still deciding what external mics :cheers:

Offline adrianb

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #252 on: October 25, 2017, 04:24:53 PM »
You are right, in my post I forgot to specify that I will use the internal mics for field recording (so quiet nature sounds)...here comes the question about the windshield :facepalm:
Thanks anyway, I'm still deciding what external mics :cheers:

Get some mics with Primo EM172 capsules. They are superb low noise, high sensitivity capsules popular for nature field recordings.

Offline mjwin

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #253 on: October 25, 2017, 05:54:35 PM »
Hi to all!

A few thoughts if you're recording nature sounds...

The EM172 capsules are a great suggestion, and they're fairly low noise (14dBA iirc). If you're handy with a soldering iron, you can buy the capsules cheaply and make up your own external mics which will power from the M10's "plug-in-power" just fine.

Interestingly though, the M10's internal mics are themselves actually EM172 omni capsules!  The problem is that they're mounted too close together to give much spatial effect.  One simple DIY approach to improving matters is to make some kind of baffle to put between them. There are a few references to this online if you search.  I used a block of closed cell foam (about 4" square and 1" thick), with a central slit to push over the M10.  This arrangement is rather fiddly to use in earnest in the field, and you then need to fashion some kind of windshield fo fit over it all, but it helps to widen the image by reducing the correlation between the mic signals, and it makes for some interesting experiments.

For recording quiet nature you really have to keep some distance between yourself and the mics, as they really will pick up every breath & rustle of clothing.  Miniature tabletop tripods are useful, especially the ones with the flexible legs which can be bent around objects, as are the various types of clamp often sold for camera mounting

If you buy one of the furry windshields made specifically for the M10, you'll be stuck with the mics as they are with no baffle. I'm not sure there's much practical difference between the brands as, when fitted, you have the option of a) having them fall off or b) covering the display!  The  M10 isn't made for such things in the first place and there's no proper means of attachment.  Even the Rycote mini-windjammer which I used was quite useless from a practical standpoint.  I  found the best option was the aforementioned foam baffle with an old knitted woolen hat pulled over the whole machine!  The baffle also acts as a spacer to keep the fabric away from the mics. Use a dark coloured hat (or knit your own in a camo pattern) and it's ideal for leaving in the woods...

As for batteries, don't bother with the fancy lithium ones. A couple of Eneloops, or anything 2000mAh+ will power the thing for ever.

The M10 is a great little recorder to keep with you in case an interesting soundscape comes up. Just don't leave it out in the rain like i did with mine :(

Offline morst

• Archivist: Camper Van Beethoven & Cracker
  • Get in touch if you wanna record Cracker or CVB!
    • Soundscape Preservation Society
« Reply #254 on: October 26, 2017, 12:44:42 AM »
I would certainly not purport that this is the BEST option but I believe it is an effective solution, and certainly a good value if it works for you.

I use a regular cheap foam "Clown Nose" windscreen as a cap for the m10. If you want to see the meters, you have to place it just right. I've found that the built-in omni mics are not overly wind sensitive and so this has worked for me when I've used it. They are available in many colors, mine is black.

Teams: Neumann, Bay Area Tapers, Multitrack, Pioneertown Tapers, Mac Geeks, Cassette Masters, Poster Collectors, Alumni of teams St Louis, Upper Midwest & Milwaukee / Southern Wisco

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.168 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2017 Taperssection.com