Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Rycote Super Softie compared to their Classic Softie  (Read 21055 times)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Re: Rycote Super Softie compared to their Classic Softie
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2015, 02:54:46 PM »
Bean I haven't found the large DPA screens to be all that effective even with a fur covering although I haven't tried them with Rycote Windjammers.  The Big Ass Shure's do a better job so that's what I use outdoors and save the DPA for indoor use.

I've run the BAS since like 2002-ish I think. Last year in 2014 was the first year since I started using them that I didn't run them! I needed to sell them last spring and never rebought them. BUT, last year I used my Rode Dead Kittens, and I must say, IMO, they did just as good as my BAS did. I didn't notice ANY wind noise during any music, and very little even between songs, so I definitely think the DPAs can do the job if you have a decent fur covering them ;)

But I do agree, Id like the added durability of the BAS or some classic softies. If I can afford to before summer, I'll probably grab some BAS, if not, I'll try to get 1 or 2 pair of the MWJ's :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2015, 01:08:12 PM »
Any update on if the corrected super softies now attenuate wind noise as well as the classic softies?
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2015, 01:48:12 PM »
Link to their updated video review.  At the time I purchased it was up in the air so I purchased the classic for my video application.  Their updated review was published Feb 18, 2015.  Watch and decide for yourself as there are plus' and minus' with each depending on conditions of use.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 02:21:10 PM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2015, 02:54:47 PM »
Thanks DG~!
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2016, 06:23:08 AM »
Link to their updated video review.  At the time I purchased it was up in the air so I purchased the classic for my video application.  Their updated review was published Feb 18, 2015.  Watch and decide for yourself as there are plus' and minus' with each depending on conditions of use.

Thanks for the video link DigiGal!  There are definitely plus' and minus' with each depending upon the conditions of use.
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2016, 09:03:15 AM »

I'm considering ordering a pair of 5cm Rycote Super Softies and I noticed that B&H doesn't stock the "suitable for mics 19-22mm version", part # 033205.  Would B&H order these upon request?

5cm
Super-Softie (19/22)
Part No: 033205

Weight & Dimensions
Suitable for: Mics 19/22mm
Internal bore length: 70mm
Overall Length: 150mm
Min. Diameter: 70mm
Max. Diameter: 100mm
Net Weight: 65.2 gram

Microphone compatibility
AKG: C391B, CK 1 451, CK 1 460, CK 61 C460 B, CK 63 C460 B, CK 91 SE300 B, CK 92 SE300 B, CK 93 SE300 B
Audio-Technica: AT 4053a; AT 4053b
Audix: SCX1C
DPA: 4006, 4011, 2011c
Neumann: KM 180, KM 180 Series, KM 184, KM 185
Oktava: MC 012 / MK 012
Røde: NT55
Schoeps: CMC Series
Sennheiser: ME 40, ME 62 K6, ME 64 K6
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 02:19:06 PM by dactylus »

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2016, 02:18:29 PM »
^
The response that I received from B&H was not what I expected.  They acknowledged that they did not carry the Super Softie 5cm length for the 19-22mm diameter mics.  They did NOT offer to special order this item.   

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2016, 05:33:39 PM »
^
The response that I received from B&H was not what I expected.  They acknowledged that they did not carry the Super Softie 5cm length for the 19-22mm diameter mics.  They did NOT offer to special order this item.   

Get in touch with Justin at Pro-Sound: http://www.pro-sound.com/

He was able to special order a Rycote windscreen for me (albeit a different one). Got a good deal too.

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2016, 08:04:57 AM »
Go to Rycote's Where to Buy page and enter your location - this will give you all the nearby dealers.

Or send an e-mail to Rycote and ask for all the dealers in the USA.

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2016, 09:41:36 AM »
^

Get in touch with Justin at Pro-Sound: http://www.pro-sound.com/

He was able to special order a Rycote windscreen for me (albeit a different one). Got a good deal too.

I contacted Justin at Pro-Sound and he said that he could get the Super Softies for me...

David

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2016, 09:44:51 AM »
Go to Rycote's Where to Buy page and enter your location - this will give you all the nearby dealers.

John,

I searched that link yesterday and the only location within 500 miles of me was in Winnipeg, Canada...  If I purchase these it will be from Justin at Pro-Sound in NYC.

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2016, 10:23:51 AM »

John,

I searched that link yesterday and the only location within 500 miles of me was in Winnipeg, Canada...  If I purchase these it will be from Justin at Pro-Sound in NYC.

Yes, the Rycote Dealer list is not as good as it used to be - in the past you could select USA and it would list all the dealers in the country.

But pretty poor service when a dealer won't get the one you want in for you, even if you have to wait for his next shipment.

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2016, 01:02:22 PM »

John,

Yes, the Rycote Dealer list is not as good as it used to be - in the past you could select USA and it would list all the dealers in the country.

But pretty poor service when a dealer won't get the one you want in for you, even if you have to wait for his next shipment.

Sidebar: Anyone else annoyed when website redesigns dramatically favor form over function?  Besides Rycote, the other one that took a fantastic site full of great information and made it look "pretty", while simultaneously making it very difficult to find anything is DPA.  Very frustrating.

Back on topic: Redding Audio is the USA distributor for Rycote.  I contacted them when I was interested in some INV mounts with the softer 62-shore lyres, which is a special order item.  They were very helpful, and said that I could set up the special order directly through them and then purchase through an authorized dealer of my choice.  Redding just needed to know which dealer to send my order to ahead of time.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2016, 02:07:37 PM »
Sidebar: Anyone else annoyed when website redesigns dramatically favor form over function?  Besides Rycote, the other one that took a fantastic site full of great information and made it look "pretty", while simultaneously making it very difficult to find anything is DPA.  Very frustrating.

Yes, Sennheiser did the same thing - finding anything is virtually impossible now.

Mic. specs used to be clearly visible - now, the only way is to download the PDF owners manual.

Also, they used to have all the manuals of current and old models easily accessable - impossible to find now  :(

The rule seems to be style over information at the moment.  :(

However, the Neumann site still works well, though, with everything easy to find - and still looks good.

Schoeps is OK as well.

The Microtech Gefell site is OK, but they can be a bit slow in getting info. up, there is actually more info. on the UK site than the main one on most of the mics.

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2016, 02:39:30 PM »
The rule seems to be style over information at the moment.  :(

QFT.  Such a frustrating pain in the ass.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.105 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com