Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Upgrading from T3i  (Read 9354 times)

Offline xjsb125

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • An Our Lady Peace Fan Forum
Upgrading from T3i
« on: April 25, 2015, 09:28:50 PM »
I've had my Canon T3i for about 3 years now. I have loved shooting photo and video with it, and the trusty 50mm 1.8 lens. I'm interested in upgrading bodies, and am considering the 6D as a full frame option, or the new 7D Mark II if I stick with a crop sensor. My still photography is all over the place, from concerts, to trains, landscapes, and family. Video functionality is very important, as I would be using video 98% of the time in concert situations. I'd love to buy a 5D Mark III, but I don't have the budget, nor the amount of use to justify it. Thanks!
"I'm the one who's gonna have to die when it's time for me to die. So let me live my life, the way I want to."

Offline Phil Zone

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Upgrading from T3i
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 10:06:57 PM »
I've had my Canon T3i for about 3 years now. I have loved shooting photo and video with it, and the trusty 50mm 1.8 lens. I'm interested in upgrading bodies, and am considering the 6D as a full frame option, or the new 7D Mark II if I stick with a crop sensor. My still photography is all over the place, from concerts, to trains, landscapes, and family. Video functionality is very important, as I would be using video 98% of the time in concert situations. I'd love to buy a 5D Mark III, but I don't have the budget, nor the amount of use to justify it. Thanks!

I have a t5i and if I ever upgraded I'd go for a 70d or 7d Mark II. Both are great, having a crop sensor for video is nice for the extra reach. I think I'd just compare the two cameras and make the choice that best suits you.
Microphones: AKG 460B, 480B, Naiant Actives,CK61,CK62,CK63, CK69, Busman BSC-1, CA-14
Preamps: (3) Naiant Littlebox, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: (2) Zoom F6, Tascam DR-05

LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Cam%20Keough%22&sort=-date

Offline Datfly

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 10:48:12 AM »
The video on my Panasonic FZ1000 shoots 4K and for me it is far superior to the video from my Canon 5D3 and even the razzed down 1080 is better.
Mics: Schoeps MK41's - Ass't Shure & Sennheiser for stage
Pre-Amps: Naiant Tinybox 2.2 o/t 
Cables: Nbob Actives V1
Recorders: Zoom F8nPro - F3 - H6 x 3 + Tascam DR-2d x 2
Panasonic ZS100 4K X 2
Sony NX80 4K | Sony AX700 4K  X 4 Camcorders
Canon 5D MK III
Canon 300 2.8 IS II | Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II | Canon 24-70 2.8 II | Canon 16-35 4.0

Offline xjsb125

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 11:23:20 AM »
I like Panasonic's video. I had a PV-GS500 that I loved until it was stolen. Great reviews on the FZ, looks like a great intermediate between point and shoot, and dslr. Still, I'm interested in hearing what people have to say between the 6D, and 7D MK II.
"I'm the one who's gonna have to die when it's time for me to die. So let me live my life, the way I want to."

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 03:11:59 PM »
I returned my 7d mkii because the photos were way softer than my 7d classic.So ifo its between 6d and 7d mkii i would choose 6d.What are you hoping to gain in a new body is the question.

Offline xjsb125

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 05:04:37 PM »
I'm looking for versatility for different shooting situations. I need quick focus in still and video for concerts, and sharpness for all situations. The soft images are mixed in the reviews I've read On the 7D II. Some of the reviews complained about it, others said it wasn't an issue. My T3i has been great, but I'd like to make a step up in image quality, and video quality.

Offline beatkilla

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 06:37:53 PM »
Id say moving to full frame you will see improved quality from aps-c.Also using custom profiles for video if your not already,such as cinestyle,marvel,flat.id get the 6d or 5dmkiii.

Offline xjsb125

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2015, 07:14:21 PM »
How is the focus speed on the 6D? How is it's performance in a concert environment?

Offline beatkilla

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2015, 07:19:52 PM »
I dont have a 6d but i bet its great.Also have you considered the 70d,it has dual pixel in video,so no more manual focus only.If you werent into video i would suggest what i use,the 5d classic,outstanding image quality,but no video,you can find them used on BH for about 550$

Offline Phil Zone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2015, 09:18:35 PM »
Everything I have seen and read on the 70d sounds very favorable. It's lives view auto focus system is really great so that can only make great results for video. Also the stm lenses are really good with it and for video that stem tech is rock solid.
Microphones: AKG 460B, 480B, Naiant Actives,CK61,CK62,CK63, CK69, Busman BSC-1, CA-14

LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Cam%20Keough%22&sort=-date

Offline Joshua_G

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2015, 12:08:44 PM »
Prior to recommending anything, what are you missing with the T3i and what do you want to improve upon it?
Do you use Magic Lantern for video?
(I had a 7D which was replaced by 2 x T3i, for the sake of video).

Offline xjsb125

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2015, 08:47:04 PM »
I've used more of Magic Lantern's still photo capabilities than the video. HDR video just didn't seem practical for concert video. Just looking for a gain in overall image quality and speed. Moving to a full frame intrigues me, but I've also read good things about the 7 as well. Though I don't often use 1080p60, knowing the option is there would be nice too. I'm just past 20,000 actuations on the shutter. I'm not sure how much is normal wear before routine service is recommended. At some point it's going to wear out, and the next camera I get I would like to step up the overall picture quality. I know good lenses suited for different shooting scenarios is important too, but for now I'm just gathering opinions on bodies.

Offline Phil Zone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2015, 09:55:50 PM »
A t3i shoud have a shutter life around 100,000 shots and that's a minimum. Some cameras if not most can easily surpass that.

I just want to point it out that a really nice lens will get you better video than a camera with the same lens. I'd but a 70-200 f2.8 before a new body no matter how good.

Offline Joshua_G

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2015, 05:48:49 AM »
I've used more of Magic Lantern's still photo capabilities than the video. HDR video just didn't seem practical for concert video. Just looking for a gain in overall image quality and speed. Moving to a full frame intrigues me, but I've also read good things about the 7 as well. Though I don't often use 1080p60, knowing the option is there would be nice too. I'm just past 20,000 actuations on the shutter. I'm not sure how much is normal wear before routine service is recommended. At some point it's going to wear out, and the next camera I get I would like to step up the overall picture quality. I know good lenses suited for different shooting scenarios is important too, but for now I'm just gathering opinions on bodies.
Using Magic Lantern for video will improve the image quality since you can record with it video in a higher bitrate, which means less compression. The focus peaking, zebras and histogram in ML also assist video shooting.
The T3i is one of the most successful Canon DSLRs in terms of video image quality. When the shutter will die, replace it

I just want to point it out that a really nice lens will get you better video than a camera with the same lens. I'd but a 70-200 f2.8 before a new body no matter how good.
I second the suggestion that improving the glass (lens or lenses) will improve the video image quality more than changing the body. However I'd recommend the Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8.
On Canon crop body, 17-55 have equal POV of 27.2-88 on full frame.
Also, the T3i has electronic zoom which, up to 3 times zoom, actually takes the image from a small portion of the sensor, therefore there is no degradation of image quality (with up to 3 times electronic zoom). Thus the 17-55 with x3 zoom turns into 51-165 with equal POV of 81.6-264.

Offline xjsb125

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2015, 09:02:49 AM »
That makes me feel better about the shutter life. I've looked at the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 as an option. Thoughts on it? My current budget could support up to about 650, 700 max. I appreciate all the comments on the bodies. You guys have probably saved me a lot of money!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.097 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com