Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Weird recording - pretty much zero bass  (Read 5029 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Weird recording - pretty much zero bass
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2015, 05:01:22 PM »
Recording to a polyphonic WAV instead of writing multiple mono WAVs (or two stereo WAVs) won't matter.

Phase won't matter in isolation (each channel played back on its own, all by itself in isolation) but will if:
1) one channel of the pair has reverse polarity in comparison to the other channel (possible but not likely in this case- stereo imaging will also be all wonky, sound will be phasy).
 or
2) if the two stereo sources are mixed together and one source has inverted polarity with respect to the other.  That's more likely.

Do you hear the lack of low end when listening to the 150 source alone, or only when mixed together with the 461 source?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 05:09:51 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2015, 05:07:03 PM »

2) if the two stereo sources are mixed together and one source has inverted polarity with respect to the other.  That's more likely.

If they are mixed and you have this problem, try door #2......that's my bet.  It has happened to me......

Anf if you're using cables you don't normally use, start there.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2015, 05:09:01 PM »
I DID run some Mic cables O never use that have been in storage for several years. That's The only variable I changed from last outing...they were a pair built for me want back when.

DING!  Check the continuity of those cables with a ohmmeter or continuity tester.  Make sure pin 2 at the input of the cable is connected to pin 2 at the output, and pin 3 to pin 3.  If the connection between these pins are crossed, the cable will invert polarity, but will otherwise work normally.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 05:11:22 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline waltmon

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2015, 05:17:25 PM »
Will check the cables...I do remember that one did not lock into the mic itself well.  The recording is listenable as all 4 tracks, but the bass goes away when played as separate pairs
KM140's, KM150's, U89's, Mixpre-10T II, 788T, F3

CA-14 > UBB > Tascam DR-2D

1 pound non-sequential $50.00 bills

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2015, 05:21:05 PM »
I DID run some Mic cables O never use that have been in storage for several years. That's The only variable I changed from last outing...they were a pair built for me want back when.

DING!  Check the continuity of those cables with a ohmmeter or continuity tester.  Make sure pin 2 at the input of the cable is connected to pin 2 at the output, and pin 3 to pin 3.  If the connection between these pins are crossed, the cable will invert polarity, but will otherwise work normally.

Ding ding, as Gut said, check those cables & hopefully that will be your problem.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline waltmon

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2015, 05:28:13 PM »
Thanks for all the input guys...I'm going to bring these into work and look at them with a meter manyana.
KM140's, KM150's, U89's, Mixpre-10T II, 788T, F3

CA-14 > UBB > Tascam DR-2D

1 pound non-sequential $50.00 bills

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com