Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Dog just destroyed my AT943 hypers - help?  (Read 3724 times)

Offline LikeASong

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • U2start.com
Dog just destroyed my AT943 hypers - help?
« on: August 13, 2015, 07:54:16 AM »
Hi there.

My beloved dog  >:( has just decided that she didn't like my AT943's cable much so she has pretty much destroyed it at several spots.

The caps are intact though, thank God. So I guess all that's needed is a bit of cable cut-paste. I don't know much about soldering so I think others would do better than me at this. I can totally screw up and end up messing it more than it is already.

I would send them back to darktrain (from whom I bought them a few years back) to get them fixed but problem is that I need them back by September 10 in order to tape a few important shows that month, and shipping from and to Spain would take longer than that. So do you know if they would fix it at an electronic store or something?  Or is anyone soldering-proficient in Europe willing to fix them for me? I would pay all costs of course.

Thanks in advance,

Sergio.
The worst things in the world are justified by belief.
-U2

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
-Aldous Huxley

Offline The Other Chris

• Trade Count: (26)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • My list:
Re: Dog just destroyed my AT943 hypers - help?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 12:31:25 PM »
Darktrain is your man, if it's fixable he can probably do it.   FWIW I have a set of AT-853 bodies w/ the 4.7 mod I'm looking to get rid of if all else fails.  Good luck!

Offline LikeASong

• Taperssection Member
    • U2start.com
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 12:39:59 PM »
Yeah, I know. But as I wrote almost at the end of the post, I live in Spain, and shipping to darktrain plus fixing them plus shipping back to me would probably take longer than I can handle: I need a good pair of mics sitting in my desk by Sept. 10th, when I fly to Amsterdam in order to do a pretty important taping on which a multicam project depends. So it's not the best scenario to be waiting for the mail to arrive while a good portion of the postmen are on holiday, if you know what I mean.

Thanks anyway for the help, Chris. Appreciated.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 12:43:42 PM by LikeASong »
-U2

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
-Aldous Huxley

ilduclo

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 12:49:16 PM »
most electronics shops should be able to fix you up. It might help if you had schematics, but they should be able to fix them. It's not rocket science!

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 01:58:58 PM »
Electronics shop, guitar-tech, sound-guy, random dude with a soldering iron, most any of those should be able to splice in new cabling to remedy this.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline LikeASong

• Taperssection Member
    • U2start.com
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 07:07:45 PM »
Alright, gonna try that route. If all goes south I can always mail the caps and bodies to darktrain and pay for brand new cabling altogether. Thanks everyone! I will let you know if they work after the fix - here's hoping so, I really do love their sound and performance. Thanks again!
-U2

-Aldous Huxley

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 09:06:03 AM »
To prevent recurrence, keep some homework around, more easily dog accessible than the microphones.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 09:22:43 AM »
Splicing cable doesn't work well. The bad section will likely need to be removed, or the cable replaced.

Offline LikeASong

• Taperssection Member
    • U2start.com
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2015, 05:16:21 AM »
To prevent recurrence, keep some homework around, more easily dog accessible than the microphones.
Hahaha, brilliant ;) Yeah, I always take good care of my gear, but we have a new puppy at home and I accidentally left my guitar's room door open for just a couple of minutes - FATAL ERROR.
Won't happen again though - I just stored and locked all my taping gear and guitar cables at a new closet safe. And I will borrow some homework from my lil brother so he has an excuse, and my puppy has a new preferred destroying toy.

Thanks everyone!

By the way, a fellow taper from here (you know who you are Alex) has just lent me a pair of similar mics so I am granted being able to record these important upcoming shows. THANKS. This community never ceases to amaze me.
-U2

-Aldous Huxley

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2015, 03:34:25 PM »
I think we're going to need to see a pic of the guilty puppy.

Don't forget to put some desiccant in the safe to absorb moisture.

Fwiw, it is very difficult to splice shielded cables. The best repair on these would be to shorten the cables, or replace.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com