Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What small hypers are there to consider?  (Read 5843 times)

Offline nicegrin

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
What small hypers are there to consider?
« on: October 25, 2015, 09:52:57 PM »
Hey guys!

I've been out of the game for some time but would like to know what the options are in the "small" hyper cardiod section.
Those that come to my mind are AT943 (aka SP CMC-8 H), AT853 H and Audix 1280 HC with Church cables.
Are there any other options to consider and what is the best one out there today?

Thanks
N.
Toy Box:

MICS:

Omnis:  6xNevaton MCE400s, Countryman b3s (modded), MM HLSOs (4.7K mod), Aevox in ear MK2s, CA-11s
Cards:   Schoeps MK4s with Schoeps CMRS, Milab VM-44 Links, SP CMC-8,  AT853, Sennheiser MKE 104, MM HLSC-1s, ECM-717
Hypers: AKG CK93s (modded), SP CMC-8, AT853, Audix 1280s (Church actives).

INBETWEEN: Naiant Tinybox (CMR mod), Naiant Tinybox (p48 mod), Naiant PFA, CA-9100, CA Ugly, Denecke PS-2 mini, MM-MBM, MM-CBM, SP SPSB-8, custom nuetrik XLR to TRS cables, 5 pin to 5 pin extension cable. 

DECKS: A10, M10, R05, Tascam DR-05, R09-HR , MT2, Sharp MS-H702, MZ-R 70.

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
Re: What small hypers are there to consider?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 11:16:43 PM »
schoeps mk41 or mk41v with a Nbob KCY.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline chinariderstl

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • https://chris-finn.com/
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 09:34:46 AM »
The Audix M1250B-HC's:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/648650-REG/Audix_M1250B_HC_M1250B_HC_Miniature_Condenser_Microphone.html

I am not sure if the Audio-Technica AT853 line has a hyper cap, but it might.

Also, I believe the Busman Audio actives come with a hyper cap.  However, I am not sure if they're still in production.

HTH, Chris.

EDIT: The Busman BSC2 actives are indeed in production and do in fact have a hyper cap.

http://www.busmanaudio.com/bsc2.htm

Also, I believe DPA offers a hyper, though they've just changed their product line around, so I'm not sure where to find that.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 11:08:01 AM by chinariderstl »
Mics: Audio-Technica AT853's, Avantone CK-40 (Busman mod), Busman BSC1's, DPA 4022's, DPA 4060's
Pres: Apogee Mini-MP, Core Sound Battery Box
Decks: Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2D, Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
Power: Initial RB-270, Naztech PB15000
LMA: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Chris+Finn%22

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 04:40:29 PM »
I don't really think any "small" (meaning smaller than Schoeps MK41" hypers are worth considering, but of the candidates I'd agree w/ the Audix.

Personally I've had far too uneven of results with the AT 853 model to recommend them, and the AT 943s are worse. No bass at all.

I don't know what's up with that small DPA hyper... I think a few people here have tried those, though in tandem with 4061s to add back bass. Paging gutbucket.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 05:37:43 PM »
^ DPA also has a supercard for the modular line (4018, I think).  I have no experience with it, so I have no clue how it sounds, but it is a small-ish option, particularly with the active cables or even the compact bodies.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 06:05:09 PM »
As Aaron mentioned, the DPA 'professional range' supercard is the 4018.  It is P48 powered but is kind of a longish capsule, I think about 2-1/2" x 3/4" in diameter (plus amplifier body).  I'm not very familiar with it.

I use the DPA 4098H, which is a miniature hypercard.  It is low-voltage powered with a microdot termination like the 406x omnis.  Same diameter as the 406x, but about 2" long once the miniature interference tube grid installed on it.  It has a DPA natural sounding clarity which I haven't found in any other miniature directional mic.  I prefer it to the AT miniature cardioids (853,933,9??.. I've only used the AT cards, not their supers/hypers and I've not especially liked what I've heard from these or other miniature super/hypers).  It is light in the bass, but with a resonance free response and smooth roll-off, and I find the bottom can usually be EQ'd up to wherever it needs to be.  Sometimes that roll-off sometimes offsets venue boominess nicely without adjustment.  The AT 858 card has far more bass sensitivity than the DPA 4098 but not the same mid and top clarity.

I typically use the 4098s in combination with a wide spaced pair of 406x omnis which take care of the bass.  I don't bother low passing the omnis as my arrangement has the omnis and 4098s separated by a few feet.  I'm completely happy with this setup and it is about to displace my reference setup using Gefell supercards (which are excellent and not lacking in bass) which I also use in combination with 406x omnis.  Wifi Jeff uses a coincident arrangement of 4099 + a 406x omni on each side, and If I remember correctly, he does low-pass the omnis with a slope which is basically an inversion of the 4099 roll-off.  As I understand it the 4099 is basically the same mic as the 4098 with a different mounting configuration and less sensitivity.

The Microtech Gefell M21 capsule is my reference supercard, and I hold it as equal in sound quality the MK41 (I actually prefer the M21) but it is not as straight forward to run 'active' if small as possible is important.  It can be run active with the appropriate tinybox and the boutique active cables available around TS, but is only provided as caps+full-bodies from Gefell and that's the only way I've run them.  The Geff M210s are certainly superior to the DPA 4098s in most all measures except size and low-powering, but in my multichannel rig with the omnis those differences become minimal and not nearly as significant.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 08:02:08 PM »
This brings up a very basic point that I wish more people would let in to their thinking: Most directional microphones in the world aren't designed for recording wide-range music at distances typical of where an audience member would be. The main application for most microphones is communications--speech pickup at close proximity and/or in noisy environments. In some important respects, the design criteria for the two kinds of microphones are mutually exclusive of one another.

We typically look for characteristics such as flat, wide, smooth frequency response, polar patterns that are consistent across the frequency range, and low noise and distortion. Those sound like Platonic virtues that should apply everywhere, but they turn out to be specialized requirements in practice. For over 90% of the microphones that the world buys and sells, the main criteria are (a) low cost, (b) frequency response with reduced bass and one or more peaks in the treble for clarity, (c) ruggedness and reliability.

Well-known brand names with good reputations offer microphones like this because the market is SO HUGE compared to the market for high-quality music recording. They cannot afford to leave that kind of money on the table. And less good manufacturers do a land-office business in this type of microphone; for most customers low self-noise isn't a factor at all, and consistent response from sample to sample only matters at maybe the +- 3 dB level.

Unfortunately, people on this board sometimes ignore this situation and gamble on microphones (or capsules) just because they're small, directional, and affordable. But most of those are speech capsules, which sound thin when used for full-range music recording. You have to look at the frequency response diagrams and know what distance those diagrams were plotted from--or at the very least, read the manufacturer's description of what a microphone is designed to do. If there's any mention of close speech applications, then that isn't a general-purpose microphone or capsule, let alone a good one for semi-distant stereo recording with coincident or closely-spaced pairs.

--best regards
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 07:58:25 AM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 09:18:30 AM »
As Aaron mentioned, the DPA 'professional range' supercard is the 4018.  It is P48 powered but is kind of a longish capsule, I think about 2-1/2" x 3/4" in diameter (plus amplifier body).  I'm not very familiar with it.

You may be thinking of the 2011 caps; I am pretty sure that the 4018 is the same length as the 4011 and 4015, which are a little less than an inch (23 mm).

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 10:06:23 AM »
Here's the specification page on the 4018C - http://www.dpamicrophones.com/en/products.aspx?c=Item&category=234&item=24544#description
It lists microphone length as:   64 mm (2.5 in), but I suppose that includes the compact amplifier body, not just the capsule alone.

Just as DSatz mentions, the 4098H is intended primarily for voice applications as a hanging choir mic.  It's reduced bass response either compensates for over bass-heavy stuff, or you'll need to use equalization or other mics to bring up the bottom for an overall flat response at a distance.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 10:59:25 AM »
Hey guys!

I've been out of the game for some time but would like to know what the options are in the "small" hyper cardiod section.
Those that come to my mind are AT943 (aka SP CMC-8 H), AT853 H and Audix 1280 HC with Church cables.
Are there any other options to consider and what is the best one out there today?

Gefell M 310

Sennheiser MKH 8050

Neumann KM 185

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2015, 12:56:22 PM »
Here's the specification page on the 4018C - http://www.dpamicrophones.com/en/products.aspx?c=Item&category=234&item=24544#description
It lists microphone length as:   64 mm (2.5 in), but I suppose that includes the compact amplifier body, not just the capsule alone.

Yes, that's with the body.  About 2.5 inches for the capsule and compact body for most of the caps (the 2011 and the shotgun are longer).  With the DAO4010 cables, it is maybe a mm or two longer.  Caps plus the MMP-ER and MMP-ES cables essentially gets you the old compact series in modular form.  I am actually kind of surprised nobody has experimented with this supercard around here...

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2015, 02:31:54 PM »

Depends on your purpose but the SP-CMC-25's (which I think are labeled supers) are as good as it gets in the tiny mic category.  Perhaps a little light on the bass but what they record of that is good (and essentially all the tiny mics are light on bass to one degree or another).  When not using the Schoeps I rarely feel any regrets that I used these. 

If you prefer more bass (muddier :P ) in a tiny mic and are willing to spend considerably more then the DPA 406x are the choice. 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline phil_er_up

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2015, 05:16:42 PM »

Etree DPA 4018er Listing:
http://bt.etree.org/?searchsss=dpa4018&cat=0

IA  DPA 4018c Listing:
http://archive.org/search.php?query=DPA%204018c%20AND%20collection%3Aetree%20AND%20collection%3Aetree
Everyday is a gift. Enjoy each one!
Forward motion bring positive results.

Offline JiB97

• Trade Count: (12)
    • My Archive Bookmarks
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2015, 09:44:54 PM »
although not true hypers, the Audio Technica u853r line-cards (mini shotguns) are quite directional and can make good tapes, at least in my own personal experiences
AKG ck3/ck8 | c460b  + Naiant Actives | PFAs
Audio Technica u853r (omnis/mini-guns)
Tascam DR-70D

My Archive Links

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2015, 04:10:54 AM »

Etree DPA 4018er Listing:
http://bt.etree.org/?searchsss=dpa4018&cat=0

IA  DPA 4018c Listing:
http://archive.org/search.php?query=DPA%204018c%20AND%20collection%3Aetree%20AND%20collection%3Aetree

Thanks!  Too bad that only one is a "normal" stereo pair recording, though.  Any chance you can post a link to that Joe Russo show with just the DiNa 4018 source?  I would love to hear that...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com