Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: still heavy cellphone noises on recording  (Read 2739 times)

Offline ricola

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
still heavy cellphone noises on recording
« on: October 26, 2015, 12:22:06 PM »
Hey folks,
I use neutrik emc connectors on both ends of the cable, at the mic and at preamp/recorder for the usual 3 pin condenser mics - no cellphone noises anymore, here I could fix the problem.

However....when I use my 5 pin Stereo mic (splitted with a 3 pin xlr cable for right and left channel into the recorder, I still have this terrible cellphone noises on the quieter parts of the show!
I also tried to combine the splitted 3pin xlr ends with the Neutrik NC3 MXX-EMC connectors...without any success.
I'm afraid there is no way to solve that problem with a usual Stereo mic and 5 pin output??

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!!

Thanks

Offline Sonus Captor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: still heavy cellphone noises on recording
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 05:30:48 AM »
Hi Ricola,

I once asked a Neutrik rep about the EMC connectors and he said that they work most effectively if you earth your recorder/preamp.

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 12:20:27 AM »
The interference is very likely being picked up and detected (i.e. converted to audio frequency pulses) within the microphone itself. If so, the noise would already be part of the signals coming out of the microphone, and EMC connectors can't help.

That situation, if true, wouldn't be at all unusual, I'm sorry to say. Few microphones are specifically designed to withstand cell phone interference, even among the top-rank manufacturers (a paper about this problem was given at the AES Convention in 2003). Semi-pro and consumer equipment, where the design is heavily determined by cost considerations, are even worse off.

http://www.pin1problem.com/

--best regards
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 12:27:53 AM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline 404 Not Found

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 10:46:20 AM »
You can always run an inline RF filter as well.

Sescom sells these new around $25 - 30 each.  Not a bad investment.
Recorders: Alesis HD24XR | Marantz PMD661 (Oade Warm Mod) | Sound Devices 552 |Zoom F8 | Zoom H6
Pre-Amp/Mic Mixers/PS: Sound Devices 552 | Sound Devices MixPre-D | Shure FP33 | Audix APS911's | Audio Technica AT8501
Mics: Telefunken M60 FET MP/TK62's  | Miktek C5 MP's | Neumann  KM100/AK40's AK43's AK45's | Audix M1255B's | Audix M1280B's | Sennheiser K3-U/ME-20's 40's & 80's | Shure VP88
Stands-Poles: Manfrotto 3361 (8') | Manfrotto 1004BAC (13') | K-Tek KE79CC Traveler Boom Pole (1.8 - 6.7' )| K-Tek KEG150CCR Carbon fiber boom pole (12.6')

LMA: https://archive.org/bookmarks/Adam%20Axel

Team Philly!

***Team Telefunken***

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 09:22:55 PM »
Actually, the Sescom "filters" (SES-INLINE-EMCF and SES-INLINE-EMCM) are simply XLR barrel adapters with one side of each model (depending on -EMCF or -EMCM) being a Neutrik EMC connector.

I asked Sescom's engineers what they had in mind with this odd design choice (e.g. who would use one vs. the other vs. the two in tandem?), and they couldn't give me a straight answer. Nor can I imagine one.

If you want an actual RF filter (i.e. a series low-pass filter), you can get those from Shure (A15RF) and probably other manufacturers. However, such things are effective only if the microphone is putting out a clean signal with no noise resulting from interference.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 07:27:03 AM »
I would check the XLR-5F at the microphone.

Is pin-1 connected to the shell?  -  if not, I would link pin-1 to shell in the XLR-5F so you have a good screen connection to the mic. body.

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 11:53:10 AM »
I would check the XLR-5F at the microphone.

Is pin-1 connected to the shell?  -  if not, I would link pin-1 to shell in the XLR-5F so you have a good screen connection to the mic. body.

^ This

OP - what specific stereo mic are you using?
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com