Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Alternatives to Grace design stereo bars sb30 and sb60  (Read 9447 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Alternatives to Grace design stereo bars sb30 and sb60
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2016, 09:47:13 AM »
^ I had seen those Gefell bars on your site before, John.  They look great, but they are very expensive.  According to the price list on your site: £149 for the 57cm; £392 for 120mm!!! :o  I suppose that's not all that different than the Grace Spacebar though.

This is not a criticism of you at all, but of manufacturers such as Gefell, Schoeps, DPA, etc. charging for shockmounts, stereo bars, etc. as though they are custom-machined bespoke items.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline if_then_else

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2016, 01:08:08 PM »
There are also these two alternatives.

Not really much cheaper than the Grace space bar (i.e. 250.- CHF for the Swiss mic bar).
The second option appears to be a bit more affordable  - but depending on your specific requirements you might also end up in the region of >200.- EUR.

In any case I'd prefer an easily transportable, modular solution that could also be used for gigs out of town. From my point of view these high-end bars are more geared towards recording studios.

Offline voltronic

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2016, 01:19:23 PM »
Someone posted this one elsewhere, and I have seen it used quite frequently by posters on Gearslutz: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/503258-REG/Manfrotto_154B_154_Triple_Microphone_Holder.html

I use one of followinbob's 24" wide mic bars when I do a wider spacing or a Faulkner II array, and the quality is excellent.  He has said he is no longer going to be making anymore products though...

Finally, here are the most egregiously priced stereo bars I have seen yet:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/619947-REG/Schoeps_MAB_1000_MAB_1000_A_B.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/446763-REG/Schoeps_UMS_20_UMS20_Universal_Stereo_Mounting.html
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline dream

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2016, 01:11:40 AM »
Someone posted this one elsewhere, and I have seen it used quite frequently by posters on Gearslutz: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/503258-REG/Manfrotto_154B_154_Triple_Microphone_Holder.html

This Manfrotto mic holder is fantastic - I have two of them and I use them very often with heavy tripods. It can hold even very heavy microphones. You need a special bit for preventing unwanted rotation.

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2016, 10:25:42 AM »
^ I had seen those Gefell bars on your site before, John.  They look great, but they are very expensive.  According to the price list on your site: £149 for the 57cm; £392 for 120mm!!! :o  I suppose that's not all that different than the Grace Spacebar though.

This is not a criticism of you at all, but of manufacturers such as Gefell, Schoeps, DPA, etc. charging for shockmounts, stereo bars, etc. as though they are custom-machined bespoke items.

The 120cm one is so expensive because it is. in fact, *two* 57cm bars plus a joining strip.

Plus made in small quantities and, as with most things, you have to build in a distributor and retailer margin.

They are, in effect, almost a custom made bespoke product because the sales quantity is so small.

All the quality mic. manufactures charge similar prices for these things - and it's only because thay cost this amount to manufacture and sell.  If it could be done cheaper and retain the quality, they would do it.

Offline voltronic

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2016, 01:08:29 PM »

The 120cm one is so expensive because it is. in fact, *two* 57cm bars plus a joining strip.

Plus made in small quantities and, as with most things, you have to build in a distributor and retailer margin.

They are, in effect, almost a custom made bespoke product because the sales quantity is so small.

All the quality mic. manufactures charge similar prices for these things - and it's only because thay cost this amount to manufacture and sell.  If it could be done cheaper and retain the quality, they would do it.

Thanks for your reply, John.  You raise some good points, especially regarding the economy of scale aspect of this.  It's very similar to the Nagra battery discussion going on here and the other recording forums, although I think your argument is more valid in that case because of the engineering of that part vs. items like we're discussing here.

Pardon me if I sound cynical, but for items like these Gefell bars I do believe the small quality leading to high prices is a bit self-perpetuating by design.  In other words, while a larger manufacturing run and associated increase in materials, manufacture and distribution would drive up costs initially, selling higher volumes would eventually drive up profits even as it drives down the customer's price.  That's if they decided they really want to sell more of these accessories, which they probably don't.  But keeping these items in small runs adds to their exclusivity and cachet, which in turn allows for them to keep the price high.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 01:10:45 PM by voltronic »
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com