Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: tascam DR701d or DR70d  (Read 28713 times)

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: tascam DR701d or DR70d
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2016, 03:29:35 PM »
Gh4 is about $1,500 in the USA plus lenses.   I thought bird photographers wanted the Canon 7d or the new Nikon D500 for quick focusing and rapid frames per second? 

By the time you buy any of the camera bodies you mentioned plus long reach/fast aperture lenses, this starts to look expensive. 

Offline myotis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2016, 04:23:31 PM »
Gh4 is about $1,500 in the USA plus lenses.   I thought bird photographers wanted the Canon 7d or the new Nikon D500 for quick focusing and rapid frames per second? 

By the time you buy any of the camera bodies you mentioned plus long reach/fast aperture lenses, this starts to look expensive.

Well, I just thought you had expressed an interest in what cameras the 701 supported, and that list currently includes most of the "stills" cameras that would be considered serious video cameras.

The choice of camera for stills photographs of birds, seems to be another discussion, but I do know that several photographers who use Canon/Nikon for stills also have Sony/Panasonic cameras for video.  Me included, though none that would work with the Tascam.

Cheers,

Graham

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2016, 05:26:40 PM »
Actually, it was good to find out what other cameras support timecode over HDMI, but it's a bit of a letdown if the new Nikon D500 doesn't support it.     

Offline myotis

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2016, 05:39:01 PM »
Actually, it was good to find out what other cameras support timecode over HDMI, but it's a bit of a letdown if the new Nikon D500 doesn't support it.   

I am Nikon user (for over 40 years) and will be adding a Nikon D500 to my kit, but Nikon is still lagging behind in the video arena. Great Image quality, even in video, but just not as useable as the alternatives.  The D810 replacement has to be a big step up for Nikon in terms of video. 

Cheers,

Graham

Offline myotis

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2016, 01:35:07 PM »
Just to finish this thread off, and it may seem rather odd given the starting point, but I have bought a used (only once) Fostex Fr2-le.

I couldn't make up my mind about which of the four recorders I was considering was the best buy for me, and I found myself just going round in circles.

However, with more thought, I realised the need to use the recorder with the camera was secondary to getting something I could use from a bag with my parabolic reflector. The Fostex seems to have had a lot of good things said about it and at £140, it seemed a reasonable price to get me a good low noise recorder that would open up using XLR mics.

I am obviously still aware of arguments of why I could/should have gone a different route, but I feel more relaxed now that the deed has been done and I can move on to investing in microphones and learning how to use them.  I think that once I have some good microphones, and know better what I want/need I will feel happier in spending money on a more expensive recorder.

But, I'm very glad I asked my question as it was the comments here that made me rethink what it was I really needed, and made me consider things I hadn't thought about.

Cheers,

Graham

Offline adrjork

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2017, 09:29:19 PM »
if you're doing ambient / bird song, you're going to want something with preamps that have very low noise at very high gain, and that means a higher class of equipment.  That should be your #1 priority here.  All of those Tascams will have unacceptable noise for you at the highest gain levels.  If you weren't doing ambient recording, I'd say the 60D or 70D would be the way to go, but I don't think you'll be satisfied with the preamps and I doubt the 701D preamps are going to be that much quieter than the 70D, even though its specs are a little bit better.

The cheapest way for you to go is to look for a used Sound Devices MixPre  / Shure FP-24 preamp on eBay for $300-$400, which you connect to your M10 with a mini stereo cable.  I have that setup, and it works great.  More gain than you will ever need, and very, very low noise even when you crank the level.  You'll have to use the Tape Out on the MixPre/FP24 with the M10 which will deliver 56dB max gain, but that gain level will be actually quiet enough to use for your purposes, as opposed to the Tascams which will deliver that much gain but have all kinds of noise in there along with it.
What about the 70D modded by Busman. It should be comparable to SoundDevices, isn't it?

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2017, 03:41:42 PM »
if you're doing ambient / bird song, you're going to want something with preamps that have very low noise at very high gain, and that means a higher class of equipment.  That should be your #1 priority here.  All of those Tascams will have unacceptable noise for you at the highest gain levels.  If you weren't doing ambient recording, I'd say the 60D or 70D would be the way to go, but I don't think you'll be satisfied with the preamps and I doubt the 701D preamps are going to be that much quieter than the 70D, even though its specs are a little bit better.

The cheapest way for you to go is to look for a used Sound Devices MixPre  / Shure FP-24 preamp on eBay for $300-$400, which you connect to your M10 with a mini stereo cable.  I have that setup, and it works great.  More gain than you will ever need, and very, very low noise even when you crank the level.  You'll have to use the Tape Out on the MixPre/FP24 with the M10 which will deliver 56dB max gain, but that gain level will be actually quiet enough to use for your purposes, as opposed to the Tascams which will deliver that much gain but have all kinds of noise in there along with it.
What about the 70D modded by Busman. It should be comparable to SoundDevices, isn't it?

It will not be comparable at high gain levels, which is what the OP needs.  Sound Devices will have much lower noise, even with a modified Tascam deck (which I have).  Again, the modification improves the overall sound quality but does not reduce the high-gain noise.

At low gain levels such as those used for concert recording, the differences are much smaller.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline adrjork

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2017, 04:17:11 PM »
It will not be comparable at high gain levels, which is what the OP needs.  Sound Devices will have much lower noise, even with a modified Tascam deck (which I have).  Again, the modification improves the overall sound quality but does not reduce the high-gain noise.
At low gain levels such as those used for concert recording, the differences are much smaller.
Thanks you for this clarifying answer! So let's say I'll go for a SoundDevices product: I've seen two similar items: the MixPre-3 and the 702. The first has a relative affordable price, while the second costs almost 3x more. The specs about noise seem similar between the two products, so why there is this price difference?
Thanks

Offline adrjork

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2017, 08:23:22 PM »
Here's the thing though - if you're doing ambient / bird song, you're going to want something with preamps that have very low noise at very high gain, and that means a higher class of equipment. [...] If you need this to be a one-box solution, I'd keep saving my money and get a used SD 701 or 744
I apologize for being again a bit off-topic, but perhaps voltronic can confirm my previous post/question: what gives less noise (and its better for field rec): D100 built-in mics or MixPre3+AT4053b?
Thanks

Offline voltronic

« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2017, 06:39:56 PM »
Here's the thing though - if you're doing ambient / bird song, you're going to want something with preamps that have very low noise at very high gain, and that means a higher class of equipment. [...] If you need this to be a one-box solution, I'd keep saving my money and get a used SD 701 or 744
I apologize for being again a bit off-topic, but perhaps voltronic can confirm my previous post/question: what gives less noise (and its better for field rec): D100 built-in mics or MixPre3+AT4053b?
Thanks

I have no firsthand experience with the built-in mics on the D100.  What I can tell you is that buying a MixPre3 would likely be a better overall investment if you do want to use separate mics down the road, different configurations, etc.  You would need a separate preamp to feed a D100, which is fine as long as you know what you're getting into.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline voltronic

« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2017, 06:44:29 PM »
Thanks you for this clarifying answer! So let's say I'll go for a SoundDevices product: I've seen two similar items: the MixPre-3 and the 702. The first has a relative affordable price, while the second costs almost 3x more. The specs about noise seem similar between the two products, so why there is this price difference?
Thanks

The 7-series, even though quite old at this point, is from Sound Devices flagship line of recorders.  The MixPre3 and MixPre6 are the brand new ones aimed more toward the podcasting crowd.  It is possible that their absolute performance from an audio recording standpoint may be equal or superior to the 7-series.  It's still too early to determine that, I suppose.  Watch this thread for feedback from those who have purchased these units.  They look very promising.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline adrjork

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2017, 07:11:21 PM »
Thanks really a lot!

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2017, 07:24:59 PM »
my *modified* dr70d is on sale in the yard sale: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=182486.0
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com