Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Re-terminating job - DPA 4061 Lemo to 3.5mm  (Read 7494 times)

Offline frankhenry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re-terminating job - DPA 4061 Lemo to 3.5mm
« on: August 07, 2016, 06:46:00 PM »
Hi guys,

First time post  here after buying a couple 4061s off Ebay.  So I thought I could easily reterminate the Lemo to work with my wireless Azden transmitter (3.5mm input, TRRS).  Got a local guy here to do the job, but it now seems the impedance is off as it's very quiet.  That's my very uninformed diagnosis anyway. 

Anyone out there willing to have a go at successfully getting these working for my transmitter?  I've got attached the wiring diagram for the original mic that goes with my mic.

Thanks
Neil

Offline fandelive

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Re-terminating job - DPA 4061 Lemo to 3.5mm
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 07:04:28 AM »
First, I'd check if you were indeed sent DPA 4061.
I recently ordered 3 said to be DPA 4061 form an Ebay reseller, only to finally find out those were 4060 !!

Were you able to test them before chopping the LEMO plugs ?

Here are 3 important yet basic rules to check out before buying DPA 4060 or 4061 microphones from an Ebay reseller :

1. NEVER trust what an Ebay reseller tells you.

2. A serial number MUST be provided within each Ebay item description. Don't hesitate to contact DPA and ask them to identify the exact model for each given serial. They'll give you a prompt and friendly reply.

3. Always check joined picture(s). There MUST be a band around the cable which has the serial number printed on it. If the band is WHITE, it is a 4060. If the band is RED, it is a 4061. It's even better when the serial is clearly visible on the picture. If the band with the serial printed on it has been removed from the cable, there's no way to clearly identify the model of the microphone. See rule #1 : simply avoid buying the item unless you are ready to waste some hard-earned money !

Maybe that could explain the impedance drop off.
Mics : Sony ECM-717, MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod), SP-CMC-4 (at853), 2x DPA4060, 2x DPA4061
Battery box : SP-SPSB-6524 w/bass roll-off filter, MM-CBM-1
Preamp : Church Audio CA-9100
Recorders : Sony MZR-700PC, Edirol R-09HR, Tascam DR-2d

Offline frankhenry

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 05:51:13 AM »
Hey, thanks for the info.

Unfortunately I didn't have a Lemo transmitter to test on, so could't verify the sound before re-termination.  To your points.

1. Yep - sage advice.  Been burnt a couple of times there.

2&3.  Re: serial number - it's got the red-band, which sugests it is the 4061.  What's odd is that the serials don't match the box they came in, but I'm not so concerned about that the seller did seem to have a lot of DPA's.

I think it's more down to the Azden not being able to power these.  I'm going to test them with a Sennheise G3, now that I've got it reterminated.  Hopefully should work.

Offline andromedanwarmachine

• Taperssection Member
  • waiting for the perfect thunder storm
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 08:15:12 AM »
Hey- is the the distinction between 4060 & 61 not in terms of sensitivity, rather than impedance?

However- I am actually going the other way! And have a question-

My pair of DPA's came with 3.5mm minijacks on and I need to extend the cables. I don't really fancy the whole inline-minijack socket thing if I can avoid it- and was going to try for Lemo connectivity instead.
However, I have little experience of Lemo connectivity. I've seen 3-pin & 4-pin versions from mics and with resistors inside and all sorts.

Is someone able to push me to a 'standard' wiring configuration for this kind of thing..?

I am not going to a radio mic TX, but to a recorder- through a set of P48 powering units built into the XLR plugs.

Thankyou!
Phillips N2233 "full auto shutoff"> Aiwa HSF-150 (x2)> Sony WM-D6C (x2)> Sony TCD-D3> Sony MZ-R3> Marantz PMD-650> Sony MZ-RH1> HHB Portadisc> Macbook 13"& M-box 2 +ProTools 8! and now Nagra LB!

http://soundcloud.com/andromedanwarmachine
http://soundcloud.com/bells-of-scotland
http://soundcloud.com/bells-of-the-world

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 10:33:30 AM »
Primary difference between the 4060 and 4061 is sensitivity.  4060 is considerably more sensitive, producing a hotter output for the same SPL.

Check the voltage the transmitter supplies to the microphone, measuring the voltage across the ring and sleeve contacts (ring = pins 2/3, sleeve = pin 4 in your diagram).  It should be 5 to 10V to correctly power 4060 or 4061.  4063 has the same sensitivity as 4061 but can be powered by 3V, developed for use with wireless transmitters which do not supply 5 or more volts.

Inline TRS minijack/miniplug extension cables (headphone extension cables) work fine IME without interference, and I used those for years, but the connections can get finicky.  For best performance I'd clean them with Caig and gaff tape them tightly together, but eventually they'd go intermittent or staticy and have to be redone.  I've now transitioned most of my miniature DPA extensions, preamps, and PFA powering devices from 3.5mm TRS mini-plug/jack to locking mini-xlr, which eliminated those hassles.

Reterminating these mics is simple, but the center signal wire is very fine gauge and a bit challenging to strip and solder.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com