Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA d:VICE just announced  (Read 3892 times)

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: DPA d:VICE just announced
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2017, 08:50:41 PM »
Haven't heard back, but when I look the d:vice up on the dpa site, I see this:

"44.1, 48 (default), 88.2, 96 kHz. Sample rates can be set by 3rd-party app"

So maybe the a/d is handled by the d:vice but not set in the dpa app, but via the recording app you use...
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2017, 05:11:38 PM »
Here's another video I came across. Acoustic guitar fingerpicking with 2x 4060 > MMA d:vice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC340vBkpXU

Offline dominicperry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2017, 09:02:47 AM »
The A/D conversion is done by the d:vice. Apple's Lightning connector is digital only (unlike the old 30pin connector, which at one time was both analogue and digital, before it became digital only around the time of the iPhone 4S).

As well as the digital audio signal, Lightning carries power and control signals. So the DPA app can in theory set things like gain level and sample rate (it doesn't control sample rate at the moment). Other applications can also change these things, if the DPA d:vice and the 3rd party application use standard 'CoreAudio' functionality. The DPA app has a 'lock' button, which implies that the parameters it sets can be locked so that other applications can't change things. That would be a proprietary control.
It's hard to say how this will work in the real world without trying one.

As a similar example (and related, because Macs also use 'CoreAudio') - if you have an Apogee audio interface, the mic pre-amp gain can be set on the physical interface itself, and by the Apogee Maestro app on the Mac. If you have Apple's Logic (DAW) then you can alter the mic-preamp gain from inside Logic, but if you use Presonus Studio One, you can't.

Does that help? Probably not. We will have to wait to see..........

Dominic

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2017, 01:04:48 PM »
When I saw the demo, the dpa app locked the levels and the gain was not able to be altered with the third party app. However it was the third party app (hindenberg was the one used) that set the word length and sample rate. The app had only 2448 settings, but maybe garage band does 2496... I was told that the d:vice can go better than 24192....
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2017, 08:08:40 PM »
Any brave souls placed their order yet? It appears a few retailers are accepting drop shipment orders.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2017, 06:29:00 AM »
If I hadn't just dropped a pile of cash on some other taping toys (mics, recorder), I would have ordered one already.  I will get one soon, though, after I replenish the coffers a bit.  A month or two.  I assume there will be many reviews by then; a DPA distributor I spoke with said there has been a LOT of interest...

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2017, 08:35:41 AM »
I'm holding out for the 4-channel version.
volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values | numeric values > voltages > vibrations > virtual teleportation time-machine experience

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.133 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2017 Taperssection.com