Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Philips DVT7500  (Read 3823 times)

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Philips DVT7500
« on: July 17, 2017, 01:09:06 PM »
I couldn't find any discussion of this recorder from searching.  I'm having problems with my R-05 at the moment so I'm researching possible replacements and came across the DVT7500, which appears to be new.  Here's the info from Philips: https://www.dictation.philips.com/kr/products/product/voicetracer-audio-recorder-dvt7500/

Supposedly it's geared towards music recording.  Anyone have any experiences with it or thoughts about it?  It's currently $300 from B&H. 
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 11:34:42 AM by heathen »
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Philips DVT7500
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 11:34:20 AM »
I had some questions about this that I sent to Philips.  Here's the response I got:

1- The microphone gain settings should not change if the control is moved while the unit is locked.
2- XLR inputs provide phantom power 24V and 48V.
3- Unfortunately, we don't have any information about what kind of microphone preamps this unit uses. I apologize for this inconvenience.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline Kamen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 07:51:02 PM »
Hmmm, looks like they took a leaf out of the Olympus LS-series' notebook (overall design, two cards and an omni to improve bass). Olympus sort of dropped the ball with quality, pro-level handhelds after the LS-10/11, so this could be good news. Let's hope it's not another glorified dictaphone.

+: - I think the XLR adapter idea is great.
     - There are some hints about multitrack recording capability.

-: - Don't like the internal battery idea. If it's not user-reolaceable, it's a deal-breaker for me.
    - That grille on top: What's the point of protecting the omi mic and then leave the cards exposed?

We need a proper field review of this. What are the capsules and pres like, what's the actual size of the unit. Etc.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 03:00:30 AM »
A couple of user reviews here -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-7500-Digital-Audio-Recorder/dp/B01IYR3JOO#customerReviews

An interesting device - but pricey.

Gleaned from the manual - you have to press the "focus" button before and after adjusting levels.  Presumably that's how the level setting is locked (lock the buttons and you can't press "focus" to change the setting).

The XLR adapter has its own rechargeable battery.

It has a "high performance Wolfson audio decoder chip" - which means nothing to me...

There's a timer recording function for auto start and stop at required times.

You can assign inputs to channels but there's no indication that there are more than two recording channels / tracks.

You can only record mp3 format on an external memory card.  For PCM you must use the internal memory.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 04:21:28 AM by Ozpeter »

Offline Kamen

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 09:06:09 AM »

Doesn't look very encouraging, does it? This having to press a button *before* being able to adjust levels is a deal-breaker for me. Tascam's DR-44WL has a similar arrangement. Ugh. Also, you have to select a folder to recod to before recording. (Remember the Olympus LS-100? Ugh, ugh, and ugh.)

A couple of user reviews here -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-7500-Digital-Audio-Recorder/dp/B01IYR3JOO#customerReviews

An interesting device - but pricey.

Gleaned from the manual - you have to press the "focus" button before and after adjusting levels.  Presumably that's how the level setting is locked (lock the buttons and you can't press "focus" to change the setting).

The XLR adapter has its own rechargeable battery.

It has a "high performance Wolfson audio decoder chip" - which means nothing to me...

There's a timer recording function for auto start and stop at required times.

You can assign inputs to channels but there's no indication that there are more than two recording channels / tracks.

You can only record mp3 format on an external memory card.  For PCM you must use the internal memory.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com