Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Where do you buy your gear?  (Read 10708 times)

Offline Philthy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • www.alllove.com
    • Phil's Site
Where do you buy your gear?
« on: July 23, 2003, 01:14:37 AM »
If I decide to start taping, where should I be looking to purchase my gear.  I own a lot of pro audio gear, but none of it is portable...so I would be starting fresh.  Thanks for your help!

Offline super-phat-al

• Vulture Shit, heard of it?
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I am a real American
Re:Where do you buy your gear?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2003, 01:16:43 AM »
http://cascademedia.net/
www.micsupply.com  (dave is a cool guy, but pricey)

im sure other people can fill in

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2003, 01:28:25 AM »
Most of my current gear I've bought used from either here or the Oade Bros forum.

I've dealt with all of these retailers at one point or another - all have been positive experiences:

Cascade Media
Mic Supply
Sonic Sense
Oade Bros (new, not used from forum)
Masterpiece AV (Dale Pro Audio)

For media, check out the Retail Space section.  You'll find info on a TS.com discount at Cascade Media.  Sonic Sense posts some discounts there, too.  And various people post links every so often about deals to be had.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2003, 02:59:57 AM »
I buy used and have bought from Sonic Sense. Good times.

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2003, 04:26:31 AM »
Some places I've used with positive results:

Media:
  • Terrapin Tapes (usually has some of the best prices -- not always, but usually).
  • Cassette House (sale items only. Otherwise can be pricey. Stocks real DAT tape cheaper than others though).
  • Oade Brothers (stocks hard to find Maxell from Japan DAT tapes for a lot less than others -- although it looks like Maxell only uses tape from Japan now)
Decks:
  • Terrapin Tapes (almost always cheaper than anybody else for new decks).
Other hardware (mics, windscreens, mixers, etc)
  • Oade Brothers (very nice and knowledgeable)
  • Klay Anderson Audio (Klay does a lot of high end studio stuff, and has been doing audio work himself for 35 years. He knows audio. Like Dave from Mic Supply a really nice guy too. About 80% of my gear comes from Klay. He is a distributor for a lot of stuff, so if you want something give him a call he is probably a distributor. He doesn't stock a lot, but can usually have stuff drop shipped from the factory very quickly.)
  • Mic Supply (Dave is a taper himself, and a wonderful guy. But as already mentioned may not have the best pricing in the world).
  • Sweetwater Audio (These guys move a lot of gear and thus have a lot of stuff. I always call because the price listed is not always what you can get it for if you talk to them. I tend to use these guys for software and more generic stuff because I really like to support the "little guys")
Anyhow, that's my list. Brian, maybe we could turn this into a FAQ type thing. (just an idea).

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline iphone

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2003, 05:36:43 AM »
macmidimusic.com

DaryanLenz

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2003, 08:51:16 AM »
This is easy...I find the best price, I e-mail Jamie and Dan at masterpiece (Daleproaudio), and they beat it!  Yes, it is that simple!

Daryan

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2003, 10:11:22 AM »
My recent purchases have been from these retailers:
Oade
Terrapin Tapes
B&H Photo/Video
Full Compass
Markertek

I've also used Sonic Sense, Sound Professionals, Core-Sound, Masterpiece/Dale with no complaints.

I think all of the "taper friendly" retailers will match competitors' prices, but maybe not the big mail/web-order company prices.  Shop around and tell your favorite retailer what you've found - they will likely come close, if not match it, to keep your business.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2003, 10:14:11 AM »
I buy mostly from Sonic Sense, but I have used all the retailers at some point or another.  One thing that I have been doing lately for microphone stuff is to contact the distributors directly and ask for their best price.  Usually none of the retailers can touch it.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2003, 10:18:49 AM »
Sonic Sense has always been great with questions and prices.

Ebay and used forums get quite a bit of business from me....

Offline John R

• www.tapers.org
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2003, 10:19:41 AM »
Sonic Sense

jr
we all live downstream.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2003, 10:31:35 AM »
It's also fairly safe to buy from other tapers on this forum or over at Oade Bros.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2003, 11:02:51 AM »
got my current rig from sweetwater sound's trading post...i called it the taper starter package...got a d8, stock sbm1, rmr-3d and at822 stereo mic and a huge pelican case for under $600. I used this package for about a year....

i have since bought some new 391 mic off ebay

i am assembling all the things i need to run those mics now: the phantom power, line converters, good shock mounts(8410's) and a shure verticle stereo bar. all these items i have gotten used from people on this taperssection board, or the oade used gear board, or the dat heads list.

i have found that tapers are very friendly, and have a certain integrity to them above the average ebay transaction, possibly because we all know this ain't a cheap hobby

good luck on your quest....you may want to sell/trade some of your studio gear for the portable gear, that's what I did...sold a fostex model 80 analog 8 track 1/4" real-to-real deck, and adat xt(have 2 more though) to feed this habit

chris k
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline JAH

• Taperssection Member
  • The kids they dance, they shake their bones!
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2003, 10:24:01 AM »
Most of my gear is either from the Oade Bros. or bought used.  Most all will price match.  If you want service then go Oade.  They do it in house and do it right.  They have gotten so busy that they don't work on "much" gear that they haven't sold from their shop...the customer comes first ;)  Good techs, nice people and knowledgeable tapers, let alone a sound engineer.

my 0.02
jah
Taping, it's a team sport!
km140/150>M148>mme or msbm-1
...yes screwdriver impaired
modified akg 461/2/ck8
iH120...and a slew of dat decks ;-(

Offline wboswell

• Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2003, 11:57:13 AM »
I'll recomment buying used gear.  Much more economical.  Most questions can be answered on this forum by users.  If you require something new, call or email around and see who has the best price.  They are going to have similar prices, but service is the going to be the main difference.

jpschust

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2003, 03:48:16 PM »
masterpiece av is my first choice for everything studio and field.

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2003, 04:39:29 PM »
Masterpiece all the way (they can't be touched)!

Offline Joe w.

• esniper
  • Turn JB Up
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2003, 10:11:38 PM »
i recommend trey woodruff audio. great deals on neumann and u89 shockmounts. :)

seriously though, i switched rigs 3 times in a 5 month span.....and found everything short of accessories at the oade.com forum or here.

cascademedia or oade for my media.
2016 National Champions
five generations with an unlocked door and a loaded burglar alarm

rabhan

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2003, 03:43:19 AM »
masterpieceav
sonicsense
oade

what we in the industry refer to as "the big three"
« Last Edit: July 25, 2003, 03:50:59 AM by rabhan »

Offline Philthy

• Taperssection Newbie
  • www.alllove.com
    • Phil's Site
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2003, 10:28:35 PM »
Thank you for all the reccomendations, I just picked up a pair of Neumann U89i mics (er, I wish  ;)).  But seriously, I will start doing research now.

On a sidenote, dude, rabhan....I enjoy a lot of photography, so seeing the word "Sigma" in your signature immediatly called up a red flag.  I know that Canon lenses are ugly, but its not their fault you bought a Canon body.  Still dude, don't abuse your camera with Sigma.  Buy a Nikon, or at least Canon lenses.  

*sarcasm /off*
Nah, just kidding man.  I'm not personally a fan of Sigma, but saw a fellow photographer and had to say SOMETHING.  I shoot Nikon too, so expect harassment.  *grins*

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2003, 12:30:13 AM »
My pa is very happy with his Sigmas (I think he has two, among several other lenses by other manufacturers) with both his EOS A-2 and 10-D.

rabhan

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2003, 03:37:39 AM »
well, i cant afford "L" glass at the moment, and with 2500$ in camera/lenses, "L" glass would have put me double that and for being a guy with a camera at a show or around town, i cant justify that. any canon lense that isnt "L" glass sucks so much ass, there is doodoo dripping from it. as far as nikon goes, well, yer just gealous bc canon has a better cmos chip.

no offense taken. :P

rabhan

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2003, 03:38:38 AM »
and u cant put nikon lenses on canon bodies

Offline Philthy

• Taperssection Newbie
  • www.alllove.com
    • Phil's Site
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2003, 12:20:48 PM »
I know you can't put Nikon lenses on a Canon body, I was saying to get a new system. And I do agree with you that Nikon needs to get something new going with their digital SLRs, the D100 and 1Dx both aren't that great (I've used them a few times).  However, I am VERY impressed with the Kodak 14n, which uses the Nikon F Mount.  I also shoot film though, and I love my Nikon.  

L glass is nice, but its overpriced and not as good as Nikon D glass.  And as you said, anything other than L glass is crap.  

btw hook up some shots yo.  http://palios.zazzo.com/portfolio

jpschust

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2003, 01:17:09 PM »
jon and i had this discussion- im way more partial to film than digital as digital just isnt there for book publication yet (which is what i shoot for).  It's there for newspaper publication but just not book yet.  I use an older EOS-1 with a tamron 28-70 f2.8 as my main rig and i love it

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2003, 02:15:53 PM »
I keep my first camera around (Minolta 500 SI with a pair of Sigma lenses ... quiet, I know!) because I want to go to digital but the quality just isn't there yet for prints as well. For those of you more in touch with the camera world than I am, at what point do you think digital photo prints will be indistinguishable from traditional prints? And for argument's sake, let's say at a 16x20 print size.

-Matt
Out of the game … for now?

Offline Philthy

• Taperssection Newbie
  • www.alllove.com
    • Phil's Site
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2003, 06:35:17 PM »
Funny you ask, I just printed three photos off the Kodak 14n as 16x20s on the Epson 9600 (awesome printer) and they look great.  You can't really say film vs. digital because film has many different grains (just as digital has different resolution) but if I compare the 14n at 14 million pixels and some Kodak Portra 400 (pro color print film) on a 16x20 the digital print will look better.

So basically the point where digital looks as good as film has come, the only issue is that your paying $5,000+ for the same quality you can get out of a $1,000 film camera.  Also remember that with most digital photography you can't just take the shot and then print it, I always run it through Photoshop and adjust many aspects of the photo before printing.  With film I can usually do some basic color and density adjustments then crop and print.

rabhan

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2003, 06:42:02 PM »
unsharp mask :wink2:

Offline smanky

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Bruce Campbell is cool
    • The Ari Hest Show Archive
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2003, 01:11:29 AM »
masteripiece av, and if they don't stock it/ can't get it, then I'll look elsewhere or go used.

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2003, 03:12:26 PM »
cascademedia.net
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2003, 03:23:22 PM »
unsharp mask :wink2:

goddamned cheaters ;)

Offline mirth

• Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2003, 06:23:47 PM »
Unsharp mask?
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2003, 06:27:13 PM »
Photoshop. ;D

Offline mirth

• Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2003, 06:28:57 PM »
Yeah, I gathered that... Is it a filter?
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline dyermaker73

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2003, 08:55:03 PM »
Funny you ask, I just printed three photos off the Kodak 14n as 16x20s on the Epson 9600 (awesome printer) and they look great.  You can't really say film vs. digital because film has many different grains (just as digital has different resolution) but if I compare the 14n at 14 million pixels and some Kodak Portra 400 (pro color print film) on a 16x20 the digital print will look better.

So basically the point where digital looks as good as film has come, the only issue is that your paying $5,000+ for the same quality you can get out of a $1,000 film camera.  Also remember that with most digital photography you can't just take the shot and then print it, I always run it through Photoshop and adjust many aspects of the photo before printing.  With film I can usually do some basic color and density adjustments then crop and print.

i don't think it's as much the equipment as it is the eye of the photographer... i saw an exhibit, this guy was shooting with very expensive digital equipment, beautiful color, but half of it was out of focus, he has very large prints where if you went up close you could see the pixels and selling his prints for $350 on top of that.  another female photographer was shooting 35mm tri-x on an old olympus with a standard 50mm lense and her work was BEAUTIFUL.  of course when you print large the grain becomes an issue but it isn't as ugly as blown up pixels on someones face... i still don't think digital has matched film.  they're trying... but it's still not there...

p.s. nikon fan all the way though

Offline jkoso

• Taperssection Regular
  • "I sure wish Madonna was here. . ."
    • www.phishhook.com/lists/jkoso
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2003, 11:39:40 PM »
If anyone is still interested in the original ?, my vote is micsupply.com.
I have given Dave thousands of dollars of my money.
He will not hold you to his true prices.
Get to know him.
He is a taper, and not as arrogant as Nutter.
I will always buy all my gear from Dave.
How many pieces of fried chicken could Dave Schools eat on a good day?

jessedscott

« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2003, 11:46:45 PM »
Get to know him.

Not that I care to much, but you might want to watch what you say, oh and check to see who is registered on here before you say it....just my 0.02....

Offline John R

• www.tapers.org
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2003, 09:20:18 AM »
Get to know him.

Not that I care to much, but you might want to watch what you say, oh and check to see who is registered on here before you say it....just my 0.02....

Good call, jesse.  jkoso, guess you must have had a bad one with nutter once.  never been arrogant with me.  

just like manufacturers, we have loyalty to vendors also.

jr
we all live downstream.

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2003, 03:39:25 PM »
Just curious if anyone has had any problems with American-Digital as far as media was concerned.  Didn't see them mentioned in anyone's posts, and I was curious why...I used to work there, so I'm interested.  Dan and Larry are good guys who will do their best to help you--their sony dat prices are nice too!  

Also--Jesse Scott--are you out there?  Need to get you that Little Feat master and just wanted to give a shout out!

Heath
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2003, 10:08:36 PM »
I have never had an issue with american digital.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2003, 10:26:00 PM »
I actually still go with am-dig...their media prices are just a smidge higher than the TS.com deal but I can get the cheapest shipping they offer and it'll still be here the next day...
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2003, 12:52:31 AM »
Oade & sonicsense.
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2003, 02:51:21 AM »
Oade & sonicsense.

Yeah, what he said, at least for the big stuff.  Hardware comes from those with the best price (usually BHPhoto and Markertek now)
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

Offline onlywaytofly

• Taperssection Regular
  • you ain't seen nothing yet...............
    • PornTube
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2003, 01:26:37 AM »
Bought stuff from sonicsense, oade and the oade board, masterpieceav, and  of the ever popular ebay (m248), pure luck though. Everybody has their certain vendors they like and that's why they're around to make everybody happy.
mod sbm-1>d8

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.164 seconds with 69 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com