Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: $1,500+ to Burn... Need EXPERIENCED Recommendations... (COMPLETE!!!)  (Read 26887 times)

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
Re: $1,500+ to Burn... Need EXPERIENCED Recommendations...
« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2005, 11:26:41 PM »
We felt like such little badasses.

No doubt, but for me it was more like 13-14...
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2005, 07:46:54 AM »
the AT stereo mics are decent...but nothing fancy.
imo, i'd go for one of the better Sony stereo mics first.  more versitile...
most of them are Mid-Side mics (and not XY) that you can "dial in" on the mic itself.
eBay is a great source.
do a search for 'stereo microphone" and you'll find tons. 

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Taperssection All-Star
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2005, 03:58:44 PM »
Any specific sony models you are referring to? I've seen a couple of those where the angle is effectively adjustable between two settings, but a specific model that you know about or have experience with would be really helpful. Thanks!
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2005, 04:58:24 PM »
I personaly have no experience w/them..but a friend of mine used to fluff the hell out of one model.  just get the most expensive one.
:)

Offline Unitmonster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
« Reply #64 on: August 26, 2005, 01:43:48 AM »
actually, the stuff I've heard from the AT825 has been pretty impressive for a lower-end mic.
AT853rx (c,sc,o)> Fostex FR2-LE (Busman T-Mod)

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2005, 07:19:50 AM »
they can clip ...is what i've heard from a few folks. 

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Taperssection All-Star
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #66 on: August 26, 2005, 12:22:04 PM »
Honestly, I'm having a hard time thinking the Sony is better, unless I'm thinking of the wrong Sony mic? I've read a ton of posts discussing the AT822/825, and hardly anything on any Sony models. The Sony's look like they have a narrower freq. response, smaller dynamic range, and a lower max SPL rating than the AT or Rode. Am I missing something here? You must be talking about a different model Sony mic? The ability to change the effective stereo angle is cool, but seems like that's not enough to make up for the other things?

Plus, aren't there a ton of recordings on the Net made from the ATs? Not sure if I've seen to many masters mentioning Sony as their mics? I understand that the NT4 is also a pretty decent mic, but is a bit more money and a little heavier. But there certainly a lot of chit chat about the Rode too. If I want to stay somewhere under the $500 range, are there any other mics I should be considering (stereo mics, or mono combos) besides the AT822/825, Rode NT4, and the Sony?

Ray76

« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2005, 12:25:05 PM »
Honestly, I'm having a hard time thinking the Sony is better, unless I'm thinking of the wrong Sony mic? I've read a ton of posts discussing the AT822/825, and hardly anything on any Sony models. The Sony's look like they have a narrower freq. response, smaller dynamic range, and a lower max SPL rating than the AT or Rode. Am I missing something here? You must be talking about a different model Sony mic? The ability to change the effective stereo angle is cool, but seems like that's not enough to make up for the other things?

Plus, aren't there a ton of recordings on the Net made from the ATs? Not sure if I've seen to many masters mentioning Sony as their mics? I understand that the NT4 is also a pretty decent mic, but is a bit more money and a little heavier. But there certainly a lot of chit chat about the Rode too. If I want to stay somewhere under the $500 range, are there any other mics I should be considering (stereo mics, or mono combos) besides the AT822/825, Rode NT4, and the Sony?

tainted...check out the tape i just mixed with nt4s....its in the kickdowns....its a very good sounding microphone...

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2005, 12:31:54 PM »
if it were between these you mention, i'd go w/the NT4.
if it were between the sony and AT...id go w/the Sony ...just for difference sake.
i'm hip like that.
;-)

http://www.minidisco.com/ecm-ms957.html
the 907 aint bad either...but not much for bass respoce.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2005, 12:34:40 PM by Nick's Picks »

Offline Chad817

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #69 on: August 29, 2005, 06:07:22 PM »
[hijack]

speaking of s.o.d. earlier in the thread, if any of you guys have comcast, there's a 35 or so minute feature on s.o.d. in the music>concert section on demand.  Some crazy footage from a live show.  I just stumbled upon it today.

[/hijack]
studio projects c4 > edirol ua-5 [digi mod] > Microtrack II

laying around: sp cmc-4, power supply and jb3

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Taperssection All-Star
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2005, 02:13:34 AM »

I'll have to try to find that SOD VOD footage, interesting that would be on Comcast?

But, back to the project on hand...

So, the NT4 and AT822/825 are two possible single point stereo solutions, but what about getting two mics for more flexibility... Not necessarily talking stealth right now, more quality for reasonable price...

What do you guys think about the C4 mics? How about the NT5 mics?

Also, considering I'm a newb learning at a fast rate, I still feel a little clueless on what "actives" are? I was intrigued by the post about the new NT6 mics that are actives (I think)?

Re: the JB3 vs. MicroTrack debate. It is a tough call b/c I could save a lot of $ by going the JB3 route. But aren't those discontinued and unsupported. But they do do digital at 16-bit with 20 gigs which is nice. However, the MT seems like the route for the future. Flash just keeps getting cheaper, and it looks very stealthable (maybe only the MT and mics needed?). Also, are there outs on the JB3 for monitoring, or can you listen via headphone during recording on the JB3? On the other hand, there are no real-time levels on the JB3 are there? But it looks like the MT will have level-changing during the recording? Plus, do we know what that H/M/L switch does yet do we? Maybe it's padding swtiches?

Next, does anyone have any specific mic stand recommendations?

Thanks, Taint

Ray76

« Reply #71 on: August 30, 2005, 03:07:53 AM »

I'll have to try to find that SOD VOD footage, interesting that would be on Comcast?

So, the NT4 and AT822/825 are two possible single point stereo solutions, but what about getting two mics for more flexibility... Not necessarily talking stealth right now, more quality for reasonable price...

Also, considering I'm a newb learning at a fast rate, I still feel a little clueless on what "actives" are? I was intrigued by the post about the new NT6 mics that are actives (I think)?

Re: the JB3 vs. MicroTrack debate. It is a tough call b/c I could save a lot of $ by going the JB3 route. But aren't those discontinued and unsupported. But they do do digital at 16-bit with 20 gigs which is nice. However, the MT seems like the route for the future. Flash just keeps getting cheaper, and it looks very stealthable (maybe only the MT and mics needed?). Also, are there outs on the JB3 for monitoring, or can you listen via headphone during recording on the JB3? On the other hand, there are no real-time levels on the JB3 are there? But it looks like the MT will have level-changing during the recording? Plus, do we know what that H/M/L switch does yet do we? Maybe it's padding swtiches?

Thanks, Taint

studio projects c4s---BEST bang for the buck. some vets here still run them, thats how good they are. I still wish I still had mine. I got them the cheapest at bbproaudio.com but yeah, the price is no reflection as to how good these mics are. Actives---active cables allow you to run the microphone capsule without the mic bodies. , lower profile..There are indeed real time levels on the jb3 with the newest firmware(1.40.06) howver, the levels arent accurate at all. to get a good recording, you have to run the levels hot...so many folks here use the SVU-1 or SVU-2(portable level meter) in conjunction with the jb3. the svu2 has a headphone amp, the svu1 doesnt. both work great. jb3 vs microtrack...noone knows how the mt will do in the field...possible bugs, it could be a great thing, or a POS. the jb3 has proven reliable..thats why you see so many folks with them. if i were you , id get a jb3, get a feel for taping, and wait for the folks here to be guinea pigs with the microtrack.  RODE nt5....have no idea...i have heard the rode nt4s a couple times...and they sound pretty good. microtrack does look stealthy, but noone knows if the a>d onboard it will be up to par. so you will see a lot of folks hanging on to their preamps and a>d devices. for 399 bucks or whatever, i dont think many think it will be a miracle as far as being an all-in one box, but instead will prove a good 24 bit capture device. stand....the bogen/manfrottos are proven here...I have the 3336, the basic 12 foot stand, and it has served me well. I also have one of their 13 feet stands..dont know the model number..but they make quality stands, for sure...

teddy

Ray76

« Reply #72 on: August 30, 2005, 03:45:14 AM »

Thanks, Taint

and this guy is selling a pair of c4s, pmod ua5, AND svu2...http://taperssection.com/index.php?action=profile;u=5869

Ray76

« Reply #73 on: September 04, 2005, 11:26:12 AM »
another ua5(wmod) for sale  + svu-1

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=49459.new#new

if I were you id jump on one man...excellent gear.

Offline KingReptile

• Taperssection Member
  • Injection is Nice I'd Rather Be Blown----
    • http://www.angelfire.com/music5/d8maniac/KingReptile_home
« Reply #74 on: September 07, 2005, 02:39:17 AM »
if it were between these you mention, i'd go w/the NT4.
if it were between the sony and AT...id go w/the Sony ...just for difference sake.
i'm hip like that.
;-)

http://www.minidisco.com/ecm-ms957.html
the 907 aint bad either...but not much for bass respoce.

Nick knows the deal he tests all kinds of equipment..There are plenty of AT fluffers around..I finally figured out why you and Doug Oade are buddies..You both think AT mics suck!!!!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com