Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: A notch above Mattel....  (Read 2264 times)

Offline macroint

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Jeff's List
A notch above Mattel....
« on: September 07, 2005, 11:48:13 AM »
I don't know squat about cameras, couldn't tell the difference between a pixel and a pixie and catching my thumb in the corner of the shot is almost guaranteed...that said, I'd like to pick up a cheap digital camera to take some pics at shows. While I woud be willing to spend up to $100, I'd prefer something cheaper...I'm not looking to get published, but I would like decent enough quality to make focused photos for my own pleasure.
Peluso CEMC6>PS-2>AD-20>NJB3

SUPPORT LOCAL MUSIC
http://baltimore-taper.blogspot.com

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stomach Full of Regret
Re: A notch above Mattel....
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 11:56:18 AM »
at under $100, you are going to be pretty limited.  most likely have to stay at less than 3 mpixel resolution.  cameras in the 2 mpix range seem to go for under $100 on ebay.  you will likely not be able to blow those photos up beyond 5x7, fwiw.

here's an ebay search for all canon P&S under 3mpix:

ebay results

Offline hyperplane

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 03:32:03 PM »
or get something like the following Hewlett Packard 4 MP camera...

HEWL1834A: HP Photosmart R607 Camera, 4.1 Megapixel, 21x Zoom

i'm not attesting to this camera, as i've never used it. but apparently it makes a nice, cheap point-and-shoot camera - which is what the original poster is looking for. people at slickdeals.net are reporting buying this camera for $111 (after sales tax + shipping).

reviews:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/HP/hp_r607.asp

from Steves Digicams:
"Bottom line - the HP R607 is a great all around camera. We feel it will make a great choice for anyone who wants an affordable 4-megapixel camera with fully automatic operation, good image quality, and a helpful menu system. With a street price of around $249, it offers a great overall value and would be a perfect choice for you holiday gift list."
(see http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/hp_r607_pg5.html )
« Last Edit: September 07, 2005, 03:39:29 PM by h_vargas_2001 »

BobW

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2005, 04:30:41 PM »
Dimage X has been very good to me, but not at shows. I love to keep it in my shirt pocket for unexpected stuff.

You want a high ISO equivency(sensitivity), eight hundred or better, if possible.

I don't know, but I've been told that an old Fuji may fit the bill.

You want ISO sensitivity or ISO equivilency of 800 or better, DO NOT COUNT megapixels, especially if you are viewing on the web or computer.  Shows are all about low-light and motion, so high resolution and detail is very much "gravy."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com