Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: taping a solo act  (Read 2932 times)

Offline -Q-

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
taping a solo act
« on: January 10, 2006, 04:48:05 PM »
i can set up whatever i like, here's what i'm thinking. i'm running CCM4's Mini-me.
if he going to play just acoustic..... one mic on the guitar the other on his mic stand for vocals.
if he is going to switch between acoustic/electric..... one mic on his amp the other on his stand for vocals.
it's a bar show with a shit PA. i'm not sure what the SBD is like, i might just patch off the board.
any thoughts on running my mics. this way?
I  don't know where i'm going but i'll get there.Reid Genauer

Offline cleantone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: taping a solo act
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 10:12:15 AM »
Might as well just take a board feed. If you have only a 2 track recorder you could consider doing mono board and mono room mic for a matrix. If your not buds with the soundguy he might not be keen on the double micing. Putting one mic on the amp and one on the vocals might work better than micing the acoustic and vocals. Sometimes phase will kick your ass when your doing that. In a studio you can futz to get it right, at a show you sort of cannot.
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

Offline bconnolly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 12:07:18 PM »
Might as well just take a board feed. If you have only a 2 track recorder you could consider doing mono board and mono room mic for a matrix. If your not buds with the soundguy he might not be keen on the double micing. Putting one mic on the amp and one on the vocals might work better than micing the acoustic and vocals. Sometimes phase will kick your ass when your doing that. In a studio you can futz to get it right, at a show you sort of cannot.

Unless he runs each mic into an independent recording source (or a multi-track recorder) and fixes the phase in post, right?  I imagine you could do that at least.

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 02:01:54 PM »
I've always liked the results I got by running ORTF with the elevation of the mics set at the average between the source of the vocals and the source of the guitar.  That way, you capture some of the space in which the performance was recorded.  If you're not within about 10 feet of the sound sources, then I'd recommend running the mics higher up to avoid chatter.

I've never been happy with separated tracking when there are only two sources.  You can mix it to stereo, but you completely lose the space in the room.  I like for my recordings to put the listener in the room where it was recorded, not simply bring the sound sources into a new room.
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline cleantone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 02:27:35 PM »
Unless he runs each mic into an independent recording source (or a multi-track recorder) and fixes the phase in post, right?  I imagine you could do that at least.

My point is that if you have one mic attatched to the house vocal mic, then one mic just a couple feet away picking up the acoustic guitar they might not play nice together. The reason is, espessially with condensors and mics that do not have a tight pattern... Some vocal will be picked up in the guitar mic, some guitar will be picked up in the vocal mic. When you mix these together they will not blend well. Trust me I've had this ruin recordings for me. When mics are in close range of eachother (within three feet) and there is bleed from the sound source there will most likely be phase issues when they combine. The "three to one" rule. It can be pretty tough to manipulate placement and pickup pattern when trying to use two mics like this on a singer/strummer. In a live situation you cannot spend 30-60 minutes working that out. If both mics have a really tight pattern and are placed well it might not be an issue. In the words of Lavar Burton, don't take my word for it. Try it out if you like. My suggestion would be to either split the vocal and guitar feeds to your recorder, take direct outputs of those channels, or just get the summed feed from the console. Chances are the guitar wil be using a pickup and not a house mic. Bottom line, try whatever you like and see for yourself. Thats what it's all about.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 02:30:01 PM by cleantone »
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

Offline kfrinkle

• Needs to get out more...
    • Karl Frinkle Dot Net
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 02:29:07 PM »
This thread isnt about taping yourself masturbating??
-Karl
MBHO KA200n's > Naiant Tinybox (v2.1) > Sony PCM-M10
http://tooldriveproject.net

Offline -Q-

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2006, 12:29:17 PM »
I've always liked the results I got by running ORTF with the elevation of the mics set at the average between the source of the vocals and the source of the guitar.  That way, you capture some of the space in which the performance was recorded.  If you're not within about 10 feet of the sound sources, then I'd recommend running the mics higher up to avoid chatter.

this the way i've set up in the past,it's worked quite well. always like to try something new. thanks all
Carl

I  don't know where i'm going but i'll get there.Reid Genauer

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com