Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Solo acoustic performance: Mics or SBD?  (Read 6226 times)

Offline Aaron41

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Quack
Solo acoustic performance: Mics or SBD?
« on: January 13, 2006, 02:35:56 AM »
Hey everyone,

I'm hitting Tim Reynolds at The Intersection in Grand Rapids, MI next month. It is a 400 capacity bar. I saw and taped Pete Yorn there last summer. The show was plenty loud and the tape sounded good.

The big difference between these tour shows is that Tim is going to be solo acoustic. He also allows SBD patches. Since I'm cheap and only have one working JB3 I can only record one source: my AKG 391s > W-Mod UA-5 or a patch from the soundboard.

In everyone's opinion which would be the prefered way of taping? While I'd love to give my 391s more time to shine, I'd prefer the better tape. Any advice would be great. Thanks.
"The pizza game has treated me well" - Evil Taper

Offline wsphansam

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • My trading list.
Re: Solo acoustic performance: Mics or SBD?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 03:22:00 AM »
Do a matrix, best of both worlds.
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/wsphansam

Team Kansasouri, Southern Office
Team Texas

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 07:05:00 AM »
Could you clip your AT831's to his beard?

zowie

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 10:40:30 AM »
If you can get in close and capture primarily the accoustic (not PA) sound, then that's the way I'd go, because you've probably got better mics and pres than the house system.
If you're talking sound board vs. taping the PA, I'd go with the board.
Just my .02

Offline SuperDave

• Now that's a mandolin!
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 12:38:01 PM »
Tim uses a crapload of effects on his acoustic guitar.  And from what I remember, he keeps his monitors pretty low.  So his onstage sound really isn't representative of what the FOH sounds like.  I'd fly the 390's in the sweet spot if possible.  I'm not the biggest fan of boards recordings though so YMMV.

Good Luck!
I'm gonna go put my spacesuit on boys, then lets get this dirty cocksucker in the air! ...

Open Rig: ADK A-51 TL's > Oade Warm Mod UA-5 > Iriver H120/JB3
Stealth Rig: AT853 > SP-SPSB-10 > Iriver h120

Offline T.J.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Always look on the Bright Side of Life
    • My shows taped on LMA
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2006, 01:19:05 PM »
He also allows SBD patches. Since I'm cheap and only have one working JB3 I can only record one source: my AKG 391s > W-Mod UA-5 or a patch from the soundboard.

In everyone's opinion which would be the prefered way of taping? While I'd love to give my 391s more time to shine, I'd prefer the better tape. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

you can record a matrix using the Wmod UA-5, although i have never tried it personally. people have had good results using this method. i vote for experimentation: matrix of mic source and soundboard

Offline Aaron41

• Quack
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2006, 01:24:39 PM »
He also allows SBD patches. Since I'm cheap and only have one working JB3 I can only record one source: my AKG 391s > W-Mod UA-5 or a patch from the soundboard.

you can record a matrix using the Wmod UA-5, although i have never tried it personally. people have had good results using this method. i vote for experimentation: matrix of mic source and soundboard

I don't know how I feel about experimenting. If there were another taper there I'd consider running a matrix. If it came out crappy there would still be a good tape to come of the show.
"The pizza game has treated me well" - Evil Taper

Offline T.J.

• Always look on the Bright Side of Life
    • My shows taped on LMA
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2006, 01:31:50 PM »

I don't know how I feel about experimenting. If there were another taper there I'd consider running a matrix. If it came out crappy there would still be a good tape to come of the show.

agreed. if there is another taper you at least have his copy to fall back on if your experiment goes south. but like you said: it is about a month from now. that gives you more than enough time to do your homework. i have heard a lot of matrix sources via the ua-5 and all sound great. plus there is no post mixing involved. check these out:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=13901.0
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=35160.0 >>>>a lot of links here
+t and let us know what you decide

Offline wsphansam

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • My trading list.
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2006, 02:23:27 PM »
I've only had great experiences in the past few months when I've done a matrix. If you have quality headphones or earbuds it makes setting the levels alot easier. And if you read those other topics that were posted above I think there's no way you could make a crappy one.
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/wsphansam

Team Kansasouri, Southern Office
Team Texas

Offline lds490

• Demon_In_Disguise
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Ride the llama!
    • Music List
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2006, 02:24:40 PM »
I think it depends on the room and audience.  In my (limited) experience, solo acoustic shows in bars or small clubs often have lots of crowd chatter.  If you know the room, you may have an idea of how respectful the audience will be.  If it is likely that the crowd will be loud, then I'd go with the SBD.
http://db.etree.org/lds490
Open: Studio Projects C-1s-> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> Addonics Pocket EX
Stealth: AT 831 -> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> IBM Microdrive

Offline cleantone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2006, 11:22:35 PM »
I'd probably go soundboard. IF you run a matrix to tape, remember that you'll get a delay running from FOB and you cannot undo the mix.
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

Offline cyfan

• Taperssection Member
  • It's not personal
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2006, 04:14:32 PM »
If it's a noisy room and you have to choose, I'd opt for the board patch on a solo show. You'll still pick up distant crowd patter through the stage mics, so it's still sound live.
Superlux HK8 > Edirol UA-5 > JB3
Multi-tracker: Fostex VF 160 EX

Offline rowjimmytour

• Trade Count: (3)
    • My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2006, 06:31:48 PM »
I did my first matrix this weekend and I flew my mics at 9' high to avoid the chatter and the SBD feed was high so this helped. I had my UA5(XLR) inputs turned at 2 clock and my input for SDB(rca) was about 1.5 and this formula came out perfect for me. I was able to check my levels thru my SVU-1 so I was able to control any overload. Good luck.
Peace
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

easy jim

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2006, 09:29:22 PM »
For a solo acoustic, I would first find out if he uses a direct input (DI) for his guitar or not. If you only see a vocal mic on stage, chances are he is using a DI and the SBD feed will sound much better. 

If you see a vocal mic and a lower mic for the guitar, I would ask about onstage first and see if you can place a mini-stand just in front of the vocal/guitar mics and either split the vertical distance between them or line them up just above the lower mic and aim up towards his mouth for the vocals. 

Offline SuperDave

• Now that's a mandolin!
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2006, 09:49:05 PM »
For a solo acoustic, I would first find out if he uses a direct input (DI) for his guitar or not. If you only see a vocal mic on stage, chances are he is using a DI and the SBD feed will sound much better. 

If you see a vocal mic and a lower mic for the guitar, I would ask about onstage first and see if you can place a mini-stand just in front of the vocal/guitar mics and either split the vertical distance between them or line them up just above the lower mic and aim up towards his mouth for the vocals. 
I worked with him once this summer.  If it's still the same, his setup is pretty simple.

Guitar -> Volume Pedal -> Delay Pedal -> DI Box
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 09:51:24 PM by SuperDave »
I'm gonna go put my spacesuit on boys, then lets get this dirty cocksucker in the air! ...

Open Rig: ADK A-51 TL's > Oade Warm Mod UA-5 > Iriver H120/JB3
Stealth Rig: AT853 > SP-SPSB-10 > Iriver h120

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.111 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com