Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Solo acoustic performance: Mics or SBD?  (Read 6227 times)

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Solo acoustic performance: Mics or SBD?
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2006, 01:07:59 AM »
I vote for running your mics on-stage.  In light of the acoustic treatment and spotty board feeds I'd really try and run on-stage or on the lip.  I would assume the crowd would be pretty good to you especially since Dave Matthews won't be with him.

Offline VA_TAPER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • SPA AKG C33E->Hamptone HVTP2->Tascam DV-RA1000 DSD
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2006, 08:19:44 AM »
mic the stacks, for solo acoustic it gives the best results.  Bring headphones and mess around with the distance (from the stacks) to get the proper bass balance to compensate for proximity effect.  Then mess with the height or angle of the mics to ensure a proper balance of the horn tweeter (usually on top) and the woofer.  The results can be much better than a sterile soundboard or a phasy matrix: http://www.archive.org/download/glen2005-08-30.dsd.flac/glen2005-08-30set2t09_vbr.mp3 and early/late reflections give you a stereo image that isn't present on a board with a solo artist.

The above mp3 is from this show: http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=28783&from=BA
Glen Phillips
Live At Jammin' Java
Washington D.C.
August 30th, 2005

Taper:    Chris Berryman (auralgratification@yahoo.com)
Source:   Stephen Paul Audio Modified AKG C33->Hamptone HVTP2 Stereo Tube Preamp->
          TASCAM DV-RA1000 @ 1bit/2.8mhz DSD
Transfer: TASCAM DV-RA1000->Analog XLR Out->Mytek Stereo192 A/D @ 24/44.1->Wavlab5.0 (MegaBitMax dithering via izotope)

another benefit is the near stage location is great for pics!

my $.02 peace, chris
My recordings and transfers at archive.org: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=berryman%20AND%20mediatype%3Aetree%20AND%20collection%3Aetree

“Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the votes decide everything.”  Joseph Stalin

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2006, 09:29:02 AM »
mic the stacks, for solo acoustic it gives the best results.

In some venues, you can't get close to them.  At the Ark, where I frequently record solo performers, they run a JBL PA and the four cabinets are all hung near the ceiling.  There are two centered over the stage and one on either side facing 90 degrees out.

I agree that sterile soundboards are lacking.. I think they are important to archive if you can get them. I am planning on grabbing more boards with a spare jb3.. I haven't always bothered when I have had the chance.

I have thought about trying to place my mics closer then the first couple feet of the stage. I worry a bit about the performer wanting to move the mic stand.  Now it is easy to say that probably and usually won't happen with solo... But then you have those cases where the opening solo performer comes out to sit in with the main act and they start adjusting and dragging, etc. 

Since I often run actives on a bar, I could potentially make a small clip to unobtrusively attach my mics to the stand.  But I worry about them being used as a convenient "handle" to move the mic stand.  Another thought..  4061's or ATxxx's on the performer's stand.

I record a lot of solo acts so I'm always looking for something better than setting my mics up in the sweet spot to take a mono PA recording.

Offline VA_TAPER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • SPA AKG C33E->Hamptone HVTP2->Tascam DV-RA1000 DSD
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2006, 09:39:49 AM »
a standard or extened boom to attach to your mic stand will be your best friend, I picked up an AKG boom at GC for $9.99, it screwed right on to the top of my stand and gives me 6 feet of horizontal swing so my stand could be way out of the way to the side of the stage and even if the stacks were above the stage I could still swing close enough.  In venues with a u shaped balcony it has been great too, I have managed to clamp the boom and swing the mic right in to the path of the array.

peace, chris
My recordings and transfers at archive.org: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=berryman%20AND%20mediatype%3Aetree%20AND%20collection%3Aetree

“Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the votes decide everything.”  Joseph Stalin

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2006, 11:07:04 AM »
I like using booms a lot. But it would take a 12+ foot boom to hit the central PA at this venue.  A ceiling mount is a possibility but it would be tricky.

I think the side PA could be boom mic'd. The stand could be strapped around the nearby column (essential due to the tight space and foot traffic).  I'll have to give that a hard look and maybe a test.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com