Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Please welcome me to the 21st Century!  (Read 1522 times)

Offline lds490

• Demon_In_Disguise
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Ride the llama!
    • Music List
Please welcome me to the 21st Century!
« on: April 02, 2006, 04:40:21 PM »
I finally got around to plugging my computer into my hi fi system.  Wow, this is cool.  Now I can listen to my 24/96 recordings on my system as I track and edit them.

I'm running an optical toslink cable > Monarchy Audio DIP 48/96 Upsampler > Lite DAC 60.  Next I'll try it out without the DIP. 

I've only been listening a couple of hours.  So far, I don't notice any artifacts from the computer system (power supply, HD, fan, etc.).  My sound card was the least expensive 24 bit card at Newegg.com or eCost.com (only $19).  Unfortunately, I had to move the computer closer to the stereo and now everything is running on the same circuit.  The AV system is plugged into a line conditioner, but I see some visible effects on the TV pictures caused by the computer/cable modem/wireless router (go figure).  If anything, the sound is improved compared with my Toshiba 3960 > DIP > DAC 60.  I bet it will sound better when I move the computer again.

Obviously, I need to upgrade my CD/DVD transport.  But is optical disk playback becoming obsolete?  I currently listen to CD at home and in my car, but could easily use computer at home to replace CD/DVD.  In the car, I can use my PDA to play flash media (wav or mp3).  All I need to is input the signal to my car stereo.

I'm eventually going to rig the system so I can use my PDA as a remote for the HT system AND also to control the computer playback system via wireless.  I'll never get off the couch again!

I also need to get a much larger HD.
http://db.etree.org/lds490
Open: Studio Projects C-1s-> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> Addonics Pocket EX
Stealth: AT 831 -> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> IBM Microdrive

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
Re: Please welcome me to the 21st Century!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 04:43:06 PM »
Welcome.

FWIW, I personally think the sound quality benifits of reading data off of the HD (instead of off of a CD) far outway the power issues.

-Noah
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I love/hate tickets.
Re: Please welcome me to the 21st Century!
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2006, 05:32:24 PM »
I tried doing this w/ a laptop, but it didn't sound nearly as full as my 4960... it was lappy -> Maudio Transit -> Musical Fidelity 220A.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com