Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: A cackling laugh in my recording  (Read 3857 times)

Offline Aaron41

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Quack
A cackling laugh in my recording
« on: June 26, 2006, 03:36:26 PM »
Taped Bauhaus last night. Great goth rock group. Each song sounds pretty sinister.

During the first song about halfway through it a woman was walking in front of me to get to her seat. While passing me she spots some friends of hers in the row behind me. When she sees them, she laughs. This isn't just a laugh. It is a witch cackle. It wasn't that horrible in person but on the recording it is scary as hell. I was listening to my tape late last night and totally forgot about the cackle. Jumped out of my seat.

So now I'm not sure what to do. The cackle probably isn't that bad with speakers but with headphones it is unnecessarily scary. My options are to keep it as it is in all it's messed-up glory or I could release a version with the right channel duplicated. She is still a little present in the right channel but not nearly as much so. Here are some clips

Sample uncut:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/rnkh7x

Sample with the right channel duplicated:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/2jabyi

Full song uncut:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/w2ajh8

Which version should I stick with? Is there a better way to lessen the laugh? Any advice would be great
"The pizza game has treated me well" - Evil Taper

Offline cusnuff

• Taperssection Regular
Re: A cackling laugh in my recording
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 03:38:29 PM »
Could you put it through a hard limiter?  That would reduce it but not take it out completely.

I had a recording where my cell phone goes off and I did the same thing.  Stupid cell phone.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 03:41:03 PM »
Which version should I stick with?

I'd stick with the uncut, I don't think it's that bad.  Gives it a bit of character, that's all.  If you decide to go with the duplicated right channel option, consider crossfading the mono section in and out so it's not such an abrupt change.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 06:14:10 PM »
Maybe mention it in the info file? That way if folks can't say you didn't warn them. :P
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline nihilistic0

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • wat
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 06:59:43 PM »
Which version should I stick with?

I'd stick with the uncut, I don't think it's that bad.  Gives it a bit of character, that's all.  If you decide to go with the duplicated right channel option, consider crossfading the mono section in and out so it's not such an abrupt change.

i concur
SP-CMC-4 (AT853) > SP-SPSB-1 (no rolloff) > Tascam DR-05

Offline Aaron41

• Quack
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 09:58:37 PM »
Maybe mention it in the info file? That way if folks can't say you didn't warn them. :P

I was definitely considering that. It is a great tape otherwise.
"The pizza game has treated me well" - Evil Taper

Offline machinelf

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 10:59:26 AM »
Sinister goth rock + witch cackle. I don't see the problem.  >:D

I'd probably try to reduce it, myself, but then again, it wouldn't bother me if I got a recording that had it in full effect...

Offline Gedit

• Taperssection Member
    • It's Live From
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2006, 12:31:05 AM »
i had this idiot 10 feet to the right of my mic stand last week who occasionally would just YAAAAAHHHHHOOOOOOO for no reason ... completely at random, not tied to anything going on in the music or crowd or anything, except maybe the neurons misfiring in his brain.

anyway, i clipped out the worst of it by crossfading, and one of them that showed up a nanosecond before a song began i just cut out entirely.

24-track mobile audio and video production
Onyx 1640 > Alesis HD24
----------------------------------------------------------------
It's Live From
Taking Live Performance to the Next Level
http://www.itslivefrom.com
gewing@radiodial.org

Offline Md2545

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I am not a number I am a free man!!!
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006, 08:10:24 AM »
If it makes you feel better it doesn't sound that bad. I one time had this really drunk guy keep talking and talking and really making an ass of himself right in front of me at a Buckethead show I was stealthing. I had had it and asked the guy nicely to be quiet without saying anything, and pointed to my mic to show I was recording. (I've had people tell me I shouldn't have done that but it was getting out of hand. If people are being a dumbass at a show why not call them out on it.) So what does he do... Leans into my mic and yells "Let me get on this brothers recording!!" I pushed him back and mouthed the words WTF?? You never know what some jackass is going to do at a show. Came home to hear how bad it was and it's as clear as day along with all his other commentary throughout the show. I just wanted him to ask me after the show for a copy so I could really lay into him.

Matt
DSM-6S/M>PA-6>Sony PCM D50 or Sony TCD-D100

DPA 4060 > Core-Sound B.Box > Sony PCM-D50

Offline gusbud1

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I need more cowbell.
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2006, 05:04:09 PM »
i had this idiot 10 feet to the right of my mic stand last week who occasionally would just YAAAAAHHHHHOOOOOOO for no reason ...

I swear at smaller venues there is one of these people at every show, the random yelling of yaaaaahoooo or some other obnoxious cheer,and don't forget the drunk that claps his hands at mic level to what he thinks is the beat of the music.
eathworks sr78(L)>rode nt2a (c-omni)>earthworks sr78(R)>sound devices 302>apogee minime 24/96khz s/pidf>tascam hd-p2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com