Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: need help with recording own gigs..  (Read 3499 times)

Offline 6_strings_for_life

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
need help with recording own gigs..
« on: July 12, 2006, 09:37:12 PM »
Hello everyone, I was guided by an online friend here when I proposed a question to him about how I should record my own gigs.  This site seems to be a great find and a wonderful community.  Now here is the question.  I am a musician that does solo gigs aroung my town and I have been asked many times for live recordings.  Now I play through a Peavey Eacoustic 112 amp and a Shure SM58 Mic, along with a few effects petals.  Now the amp has an XLR output that im assuming can be used for a situation such as this.  I have a iRiver iHP-140 mp3 player that Ive heard has been used by others to get good results. What else do I need or what is the best way to hook up my iRiver?  Im a college student with a limited budget so cheap recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for all help..
Time is Just a Melody...

Offline beefstew

• Taperssection Member
Re: need help with recording own gigs..
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 09:38:33 PM »
well u have acess to the soundboard right?
*Audio*
Mics:
SP-CMC-19
Panasonic WM61a

Recorders:
MZ-RH910 (Hi-MD)
Sony TC-WE435 (CASS)

*Video*
Canon ZR-500 [Mini DV]
54" Tripod

I spend most of my money on gambling, booze, and women. The rest i spend foolishly.

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 09:39:47 PM »
no, I dont own a soundboard.  I almost always use my own equipment...
Time is Just a Melody...

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 09:49:50 PM »
what are you trying to accomplish? a direct sound, like the sbd mix? or, something with more ambience?

Im trying to record my entire live shows through my amp.

I have no idea what a sbd mix is.
Time is Just a Melody...

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 09:59:31 PM »
sbd = soundboard

do your vocals go throught he amp too?
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 10:09:54 PM »
sbd = soundboard

Yes.
Time is Just a Melody...

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 10:48:23 PM »
sbd = soundboard

Yes.

you could try just getting the xlr -> 1/8" and give 'er a rip at home and see if that works. Does the XLR output say "line out"? I think you might have issues with the vocals and guitar not being mixed together well though.  Maybe not though.  And it will probably be mono.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
    • my recordings on LMA
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 11:22:39 PM »
sbd = soundboard

Yes.

you could try just getting the xlr -> 1/8" and give 'er a rip at home and see if that works. Does the XLR output say "line out"? I think you might have issues with the vocals and guitar not being mixed together well though.  Maybe not though.  And it will probably be mono.

If I understand you right you play in smal clubs by yourself with just a guitar and an amp with one mic running throught the same amp as the guitar, right?

if this is the case then what your outputting is mono anyway.  try running the line out on the amp first.  you probly wont like though.  it's gonna sound hot, out of balance, and harsh.  your only other option is gonna be to invest a little money in some audience recording gear.  how much is up to you.  you already hve the recorder so I'd work around that.  an inexpensive single point stereo mic, a battery box and a small stand would probly run you around 100-200 bucks in the used market.  you could do better but you'd be surprised at what a decent recording you can get with very little.  you can obviously spend more but I'd think about weather or not you plan to persue this as a hobby outside of your own solo act or not.  If so or if you plan to ever play with a full band a decent set of 'drum overhead mics ' (lux's, oktava, akg, or c-4's are all in the 200-400 dollar range for a pair) they will go a long way as field recording mics.  but then you're gonna need phantom power and a pre.

start with the line out and see what you think.

+T for wanting to tape yourself...
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2006, 06:59:03 PM »
sbd = soundboard

Yes.

If I understand you right you play in smal clubs by yourself with just a guitar and an amp with one mic running throught the same amp as the guitar, right?

if this is the case then what your outputting is mono anyway.  try running the line out on the amp first.  you probly wont like though.  it's gonna sound hot, out of balance, and harsh.  your only other option is gonna be to invest a little money in some audience recording gear.  how much is up to you.  you already hve the recorder so I'd work around that.  an inexpensive single point stereo mic, a battery box and a small stand would probly run you around 100-200 bucks in the used market.  you could do better but you'd be surprised at what a decent recording you can get with very little.  you can obviously spend more but I'd think about weather or not you plan to persue this as a hobby outside of your own solo act or not.  If so or if you plan to ever play with a full band a decent set of 'drum overhead mics ' (lux's, oktava, akg, or c-4's are all in the 200-400 dollar range for a pair) they will go a long way as field recording mics.  but then you're gonna need phantom power and a pre.

start with the line out and see what you think.

+T for wanting to tape yourself...

wow thanks alot..

Yes I Have the guitar and mic running through the amp.  You said that I should invest in some audience recording gear. What does that consist of?  Im assumed that I would get better results running through the amp, then with a seperate mic.  I dont know what you mean by a single point stereo mic either.  Im not looking to get some amazing quality recordings, just decent.  I will try to get a XLR -> 1/4 adaptor and see what I can do with that. Thanks so much for all the help so far..

Also, what the hell does +T stand for?
Time is Just a Melody...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com