Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Is this what cell phone interferance sounds like?  (Read 2942 times)

Offline 612

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Minneapolis, MN
Is this what cell phone interferance sounds like?
« on: August 03, 2006, 07:06:44 PM »
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=FD8C5D5D5FB5B71A
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=A6CEEFEA7D6FD5FC

Both links are for the same exact file: possible_cpi.wav 2:32MB 13 seconds.

There's a hint of what I'm talking about at the end of the 1 second mark but then it gets heavy 10 - 12 seconds in.

Any input is greatly appreciated, just trying to determine if this is my first known run in with cell phone interferance. I was using the "flashlight" function of a cell phone that is accessed without making a call ect. because I had forgotten my maglite. At one point in the show I know I bumped the phone and was calling out...I quickly shut if off. I wasn't talking on the phone at all during the set.

What does everyone think?

thanks,

John
Empty's Tapes & My recordings on the LMA

"Keep active, stay positive..." - a wise man

Offline Oysterhead00

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Rock This Bitch
    • My Ugly Page In Need Of A Huge Makeover
Re: Is this what cell phone interferance sounds like?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 07:20:30 PM »
That's EXACTLY what my old Cell Phone used to do to ANY speaker or microphone including my alarm clock, my speaker phone (even when not on it), TV, etc.  If you listen to Ron & Fez on XM you'll even hear it sometime from one of their phones causing interfearence.
Big Rig:  SMK-H8K/U or MSH-1O > PS-2 > AD-20 > CJB3
Sm Rig:  SS DSM-6S (or SP-CMC-12 > SPBM-2)  > MD-MT77
ISO: Cheap iRiver 120 or 140 :)

Offline 612

• Minneapolis, MN
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 08:41:30 AM »
Thanks Oysterhead +T.

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • surly tapir
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 10:48:18 AM »
that sound is exactly what my cell does to my computer speakers and the phone at my old job... it was always sporadic... for example the phone can be on the desk, but might not cause a problem, other days, it will perk up 3 or 4 times...

i dont know, but i think it has to do with the phones tower activity, like when it bounces a signal to get info... again, i dont know anything...
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 12:07:41 PM »
i agree, thats cell phone
a side question is does anyone know what makes a phone or some phones do this? i have had it happen only once to me but i have had people on phones near me at almost every show i have taped
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Oysterhead00

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Rock This Bitch
    • My Ugly Page In Need Of A Huge Makeover
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 08:23:29 AM »
a side question is does anyone know what makes a phone or some phones do this? i have had it happen only once to me but i have had people on phones near me at almost every show i have taped

I believe it's GSM phones that do this.  Don't quote me on this, but I also heard that the interference when there are incoming calls or text are understandable, but the random ones that make no sense are when your digital network cycles through checking to see if it can get a better signal by going analog.  A larger metal and concrete venue full of electronics would make sense that your singnal would dimish making this happen more often. 

My CellOne phone that was GSM did it all the time, now I have a Verizon one that never makes a sound, but don't know what network it's on.  Unfortunately, the main culprit seems to be the flat Nokia ones that every service provider had as their base phone for a while and that a TON of people have.  The good news is that with all the bells and whistles on the new phones that don't seem to cause interference, most people should migrate over in the near future. 

Also, I think the range is only about 4' for causing interference.  At work my phone would interfere with my speaker phone all the time...finally, I realized if I just put my phone behind me on a second desk (in a cubicle so it's not far at all) it would NEVER interfere...even with incoming calls. 

Far from scientific or definitive, but that's my $0.02
Big Rig:  SMK-H8K/U or MSH-1O > PS-2 > AD-20 > CJB3
Sm Rig:  SS DSM-6S (or SP-CMC-12 > SPBM-2)  > MD-MT77
ISO: Cheap iRiver 120 or 140 :)

Offline 612

• Minneapolis, MN
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2006, 11:19:15 AM »
+Ts all. thank you.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2006, 05:21:26 PM »

I believe it's GSM phones that do this.  Don't quote me on this, but I also heard that the interference when there are incoming calls or text are understandable, but the random ones that make no sense are when your digital network cycles through checking to see if it can get a better signal by going analog.  A larger metal and concrete venue full of electronics would make sense that your singnal would dimish making this happen more often. 

My CellOne phone that was GSM did it all the time, now I have a Verizon one that never makes a sound, but don't know what network it's on.  Unfortunately, the main culprit seems to be the flat Nokia ones that every service provider had as their base phone for a while and that a TON of people have.  The good news is that with all the bells and whistles on the new phones that don't seem to cause interference, most people should migrate over in the near future. 

Also, I think the range is only about 4' for causing interference.  At work my phone would interfere with my speaker phone all the time...finally, I realized if I just put my phone behind me on a second desk (in a cubicle so it's not far at all) it would NEVER interfere...even with incoming calls. 

Far from scientific or definitive, but that's my $0.02
interesting, maybe one day i will have some friends try calls to see if we can figure anything out as to brand, or whatnot
it will be a good reason to have a party :)
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com