Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Building a Power cable  (Read 2632 times)

Offline Wes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Building a Power cable
« on: September 25, 2003, 02:46:53 PM »
I need a 4pin>FW410 12V cable.  I have called m-audio and say they don't have the part number for the actual plug that fits in the 410.  So I figure the easiest solution is to buy another AC>DC power adaptor that comes with the 410 and hack the AC/DC converter off the end and soldering the wires to a 4 pin connector.  Anybody see anything wrong with this idea?  Also, I'll be use a ec-90 as my battery.. Isn't there something else I have to do?  like connect pins 2 and 3 or something?

thanks
Wes

+T to everyone who replies!!

EDIT: DOH!! I put this under the wrong forum.. Can I move it to remote power somehow?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2003, 02:49:24 PM by jbandtheboys »
" Radio Shack md440zrs>high pass filter>whopper a>d "

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • www.tapers.org
Re:Building a Power cable
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2003, 07:48:38 PM »
we all live downstream.

Offline shmurg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • TAPES FOREVER....
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2003, 05:34:04 PM »
I would search and check out the archives for the plug asignments.  As long as the polarity is correct, and wires correctly jumped if needed you should be able to figure it out.  You can put any plug you want on the end as long as you have the appropriate pin assignments.

shmurg
 :guitarist:

search the archives...see if the polarity of the center plug and shell are the same as the ones mentioned in the archives.  YOU CAN DO IT!

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2003, 06:19:47 PM »
I don't see any reason why hacking an AC>DC cable wouldn't work.  I don't think the archives have the plug polarity for the FW410.  IMO it's just plain unacceptable from a customer service perspective that M-Audio can't tell you the specs/part number of the plug.  Complete crap.  The DC input into the FW410  probably tells you the polarity - take a look.  Or, you can just test the plug before you hack the AC>DC cable.

However, if it was me, I'd call them back and not get off the phone until they found someone who answered my question.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2003, 10:44:51 PM »
if you're going to hack the plug off to get the power jack, buy an extra 4-pin connector as well, and solder it to the AC wall side of it.  that way, you can use the cable with the battery, or with AC power.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com