Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: FLAC Seek Table Help  (Read 3027 times)

Offline 1westkc3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
FLAC Seek Table Help
« on: September 22, 2006, 12:34:45 AM »
Some time ago in the Rockbox forum there was a thread regarding the absence of seek tables in files converted to FLAC from dBpowerAMP as well as other tools.  The thread provided some detail regarding modification to the metafile string to establish the seek table and gain the ability to FF and RW with FLAC and Rockbox.  It's also my understanding this is the reason upon start-up, replay reverts to the beginning of the track which was playing when the player was stopped.

I have grown sufficiently annoyed with listening to a track 3/4 of the way thru in the car, stopping for gas, drink or other quick task getting back into the car and starting the track from the beginning again (yes, I could extend the idle off time and just pause rather than turn the recorder off and have done that, but that's not ideal to me and I now want a perm solution).  So I'm looking for some specific and detailed instructions on how exactly to go about making the fix.

I emphasize specific and detailed as I am in no manner a programmer and therefore would need these instructions in a way that (as Denzel said in Philadelphia) a six year old could understand.  To illustrate my naiveté, I don't have a clue as to how I would even access the metafile code in order to begin.

So, if some kind sole out there has the knowledge and patience to detail this process, I would greatly appreciate it.  Or, if there's another fix of lesser complexity, that would be great.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 07:22:36 AM by 1westkc3 »

Offline pigiron

• Taperssection Member
  • I just did what I did
skm184, lsd2
v2, sd722, mini-me, jb3

Offline 1westkc3

• Taperssection Regular
Re: FLAC Seek Table Help
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2006, 01:50:16 AM »
Thanks for the link.  As I mentioned, I know nothing so when the instructions say "change the path to metaflac.exe" in the dtring below,  where  exactly is the path in the code?  Lokks to me like it is already "meteflac.exe".

set metaflac="C:\Program Files\flac-1.1.2-win\bin\metaflac.exe"
for /r "." %%d in (.) do (cd %%d & for %%f in (*.flac) do %metaflac% --add-seekpoint=5s "%%f")

Offline pigiron

• Taperssection Member
  • I just did what I did
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 09:58:57 PM »
1) Download and install the flac program from http://flac.sourceforge.net/download.html paying attention to which folder it's installed into... or if it's already installed, then use Start -> Search to find where the metaflac.exe file is installed on your hard drive.

2) Using a text editor, modify the set metaflac="C:\Program Files\flac-1.1.2-win\bin\metaflac.exe"  line of the script so that it matches where the metaflac.exe file exists on your hard drive.

Example: If the metaflac.exe file is installed in the C:\foo\bin folder, then edit the first line in the script to be:  set metaflac="C:\foo\bin\metaflac.exe"

When you run the script, if you get a 'metaflac.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file message... then go to step 1 ;D
skm184, lsd2
v2, sd722, mini-me, jb3

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 10:13:36 PM »
If you don't mind reconverting your tracks you can also use flac.exe.

To generate a seekpoint every 5 seconds while encoding...

flac.exe filename --seekpoint=5s

It might be better to use metaflac on existing tracks and use my suggestion on new ones.

Gordon
AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

Offline 1westkc3

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2006, 12:00:11 AM »
Got it.  My problems seemes to stem from a missing cab file.  Once I tried another text editor, the process worked like a charm.  Thanks all for the assistance and petience...TSers are the best.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 12:51:14 AM by 1westkc3 »

Offline pigiron

• Taperssection Member
  • I just did what I did
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2006, 02:21:32 AM »
It might be better to use metaflac on existing tracks and use my suggestion on new ones.

Gordon is right... only the source code knows what will happen if you try to add a seek table to a flac file that already has one ???
« Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 02:27:27 AM by pigiron »
skm184, lsd2
v2, sd722, mini-me, jb3

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com