Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Studio Projects LSD2, version 3  (Read 24678 times)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
Studio Projects LSD2, version 3
« on: February 07, 2007, 07:18:42 AM »
Picked up the "new" version of this fantastic club.  There has been some refinements, a new shockmount, a new layout to the POS stock cable (still the same, btw).

Internaly, there are supposed to be some upgrades to the parts in there to affect the sonics.  (this mic is BEGGING to be tweaked by someone who knows better than I do).
The cable now has "upper" and "lower" designation on the Y ends.  I'll test it to see if its accurate.
Pinout on the cable is the same, so custom cables will work for each rev of this mic.

the shockmount....Jury is still out on this.
It looks cool....and its built great on first inspection.  Sturdy aluminum construction.  There is a custom little right angled mount on the bottom, and this is the weak link.  It is held together by a single screw, a small one...and it bears the entire weight of the mic/mount.  Due to the setup and strain on this, it WILL FAIL.  absolutely.
On a good note, it looks cool.  Did I say that?  The mic actually screws into the shockmounts bottom piece and then slides through weave of elastics (ala Sabra).  The problem is that the elastics are too loose to hold it well and too tight to cross the bands for a tighter fit.  Unless the mic is 100% verticle , it will rest against the elastics/metal housing.
Booo!  It looked so cool.
It is modular, so you can unscrew the weak link knuckle and then screw the rest of the mount directly on a stand/clamp with its 3/8th" female ends.  Hopefully, these pictures will show what I've discussed.

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
Re: Studio Projects LSD2, version 3
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 09:11:24 AM »
Great pics, Nick.  I think if anyone is worried about strain on the joint it is best to unscrew it and run directly on your stand as shown in your last pic.  IMO, the mount is really nice.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 09:19:49 AM »
you dont find the top part basically useless?

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 10:27:59 AM »
you dont find the top part basically useless?

Not really.  I understand your point though.  But, when aren't you going to be running the mic vertical?  IME, it's worked fine.  Yes it could be better, but for the price of this setup & the corresponding quality & output, I think it's more than adequate.  My $0.02.

I think the mount is really better suited for running the LSD2 upside down vertically for vocals / instruments.  That's why the mic is made to screw into the mount now.  Then the top portion of the mount is really only absorbing impacts and not holding it in place. 
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 10:38:43 AM »
yea, upside down it will be fine..unless yo have to tilt it.
the old mount worked better.

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 10:57:21 AM »
Great pics Nick.  So the mic screws in or do you tighten the mic in to the shock ala the 414's with their shock or does the mic actually have threads?  I'm still not sure if it would be a waste to get one of these when I have LD's already.  Hmmm.  So nice looking though.  What are your opinions of the Peluso's?  I've read mixed reviews.  Hyper more prefered over card? Sorry for the hijack.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 11:05:48 AM »
re the pelusos, last year I was running those and this.  kept the mic (sort of), and sold the pelusos because I like the performance and sound of the SP bigboy better.  Its just more fun to work with!

the new mount actually does screw right on to the end of the mic.  I'll post some pics, but you can see the threads in the pics on their www site.

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 12:14:18 PM »
Shock mount is definitely a bummer.  I was hoping to be able to angle the mic upward when running onstage.  Even running vertical, unless you run upside down I find the mic has a tendency to list a bit to the left or right in mine.   ???  Hopefully the sonics will make up for it.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 12:56:51 PM »
ok...
first try.  Screwing the shock-mount on to my bogan super-clamp*.  Just tightening it up...and trying to be gentle on that knuckle yet get a firm purchase on the bolt....and it breaks.  The metal broke, screw bent ...totally shot.
It now requires direct attachment to the aluminum pole, which is fine w/me.  However, the lean sucks.  Not that I think you could hear it in a rock-n-roll environment...but it wont be an effective isolator, imo.
I'm going to buy something else for that duty.  Too bad.  it is rather cool, and I love the screw in bottom.  I'll still futz w/this and see what I can come up with.

* LSD2 strength

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 12:57:19 PM »
and the lean!  ouch

Offline JD

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2007, 01:04:10 PM »
Thanks for the pictures Nick, looks like I'll be modding my shock mount when it comes. Fortunately I have access to a fully stocked machine shop.  ;D ;D
Mics: DPA 4022, 4060; Nevaton MC51, MCE400; Gefell sms2000, m20, m21, m27
Pres: DPA MMA6000; Grace V2; Portico 5012; Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Edirol R09hr, Sound Devices 722

Offline PH

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • can you fix it in the mix?
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2007, 02:50:43 PM »
Nick, what is the exact diameter of the mic? There have got to be plenty of shockmounts that will fit nicely with it.
+T for the great pics and accidental mod
Cheers, Phil

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
    • my recordings on LMA
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2007, 03:23:00 PM »
nice sticker on that mini me, nick   ;)
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2007, 03:27:50 PM »
accidental mod.
I love it.
2" diameter.  there are plenty of shock mounts out there.

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2007, 04:40:57 PM »
So Nick, do you have an old LSD2 now that you'd sell me?
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com