Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DIY collar mic holder  (Read 2431 times)

Offline 1westkc3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
DIY collar mic holder
« on: April 13, 2007, 12:29:06 PM »
I have a piece of 1/2" ID flex tubing cut to length.  I've inserted the flex tubing into a polyolefin heat shrink tubing and heated it to hold the flex tube in the horseshoe shape I want.  The flex tube has a split the entire length which makes it easy to place the AT853s into each end. I've cut a notch in the rear for the cables to exit to my pre.  The mics are slightly bigger diameter and I was thinking of using a piece of the shrink tubing to secure them and aim them up slightly.  My question is do I run the risk of damaging the mics by applying the heat from a hair dryer to shrink the polyolefin?  Should I just use some black duct tape instead?

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: DIY collar mic holder
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 12:37:04 PM »
I have a piece of 1/2" ID flex tubing cut to length.  I've inserted the flex tubing into a polyolefin heat shrink tubing and heated it to hold the flex tube in the horseshoe shape I want.  The flex tube has a split the entire length which makes it easy to place the AT853s into each end. I've cut a notch in the rear for the cables to exit to my pre.  The mics are slightly bigger diameter and I was thinking of using a piece of the shrink tubing to secure them and aim them up slightly.  My question is do I run the risk of damaging the mics by applying the heat from a hair dryer to shrink the polyolefin?  Should I just use some black duct tape instead?

Unscrew the mic capsules from the mic body you should be fine with a bit of heat but dont make a career out of it :)
Do it fast.. so with the capsule unscrewed you will be ok never apply heat to a mic capsule or anywhere near a mic capsule once the mic bodies have cooled down you can then screw them back in.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline 1westkc3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 12:45:42 PM »
Thanks Chris. By they way, now that I've got the bat situation resolved, I'm lovin this ST 9100.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 01:00:15 PM »
Thanks Chris. By they way, now that I've got the bat situation resolved, I'm lovin this ST 9100.
Your welcome thanks for buying it...

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com