Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09 "LOW CUT"? On or Off?  (Read 5212 times)

Offline 6079

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Edirol R-09 "LOW CUT"? On or Off?
« on: August 28, 2007, 02:41:02 AM »
Do you E 09 users use the "low cut" option?  I'm using the built in mic, and thought it would be best to leave "low cut" off, but the bass has been pretty overwhelming on both of the shows I recorded (Modest Mouse tonight).  The levels didn't peak, but the bass distorts.  It actually sounds like the rumble of a live show, which could be preferable to some.  But if I put "low cut" ON, that would really neuter the bass, would it not (I've only done small tests with my home stereo)?
Free Screenings of "Bill Hicks: Revelations" in Portland and Seattle
May 27th & 28th.
info: http://www.BillHicks.org  RSVP: http://Facebook.com/BillHicksNW

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
Re: Edirol R-09 "LOW CUT"? On or Off?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 05:29:51 AM »
Do you E 09 users use the "low cut" option?  I'm using the built in mic, and thought it would be best to leave "low cut" off, but the bass has been pretty overwhelming on both of the shows I recorded (Modest Mouse tonight).  The levels didn't peak, but the bass distorts.  It actually sounds like the rumble of a live show, which could be preferable to some.  But if I put "low cut" ON, that would really neuter the bass, would it not (I've only done small tests with my home stereo)?

Measured Low Cut to start operating at about 185 cycles.  This would completely cut the balls off musical bass sounds. 

Suggest not using unless for voice recording. 

Make sure you have mic Sensitivity on LOW setting.  If so, and bass still distorts, nothing to do anyway as it's the mic making things muddy with overloading, and low cut likely won't help make it sound better, just very thin.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 08:42:40 AM »

OFF! By all means. ;D
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 10:22:35 AM »
Off

Bass = Good
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline joffa64

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 10:01:46 PM »
Hi guys, old thread i know but it's all I could find on what I need help with.
Just got a R-09, taping a show at indoor arena in a couple of days using internal mics.

I've done a couple of trials with the home stereo and everything is really bass heavy, and now I'm worried my recording of the gig will turn out the same way after reading the post from 6079.

If turning on low cut is not recommended and/or will not solve the problem, does anyone have any other suggestions? Would it help to record at a low level and then boost the levels later on via the computer?

Any advice appreciated.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 11:13:48 PM »
Just got a R-09, taping a show at indoor arena in a couple of days using internal mics.

I've done a couple of trials with the home stereo and everything is really bass heavy, and now I'm worried my recording of the gig will turn out the same way after reading the post from 6079.

If turning on low cut is not recommended and/or will not solve the problem, does anyone have any other suggestions? Would it help to record at a low level and then boost the levels later on via the computer?

Any advice appreciated.

What mics are you using? thats going to dictate what settings you should use for the mics you have.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 01:55:47 AM »

Any advice appreciated.

Forget the deck's low cut as it is way too aggressive for music I think. 

Have NO FEAR of running excessive full bass from MIC into deck's MIC input as it is NOT going to overload R-09.

And likely the best tact is run your VU levels as hot as you like maybe without exceeding VU -4 dB peaks for cleanest recorded sounds.

Then reduce excessive sounding bass in post edit process on your computer to your own taste.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline joffa64

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 08:08:00 AM »

What mics are you using? thats going to dictate what settings you should use for the mics you have.

Chris

I'll be using the internal mics on the r-09, unfortunately I don't have time to get external ones organised before the gig.

Thanks for the tips guysonic.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com