Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: H-2 or R-09??? I need to pull this trigger soon...  (Read 7152 times)

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
H-2 or R-09??? I need to pull this trigger soon...
« on: October 10, 2007, 05:15:34 AM »
Hey all!  I hope you'll forgive my simple question, but I just don't know...

I have been a sharer for a while, and have finally decided to take the plunge so I can contribute something original to the community at large...

I have a show next week (Rush in Rotterdam) that I would like to record.  I have pretty much narrowed my choices of recorder to the Edirol R-09 or the Zoom H-2.  From what I have read (and there is a dizzying amount), I can't really tell whether it is worth the extra cash for the R-09...

Since I am a total newbie, I hope to keep it simple until I get a little experience.  Also, in early November, I will be seeing Brad Mehldau and Joshua Redman in Budapest.  I'd like to get those taped too, but they are sonically very different from something like Rush, so I guess versatility is important too...

Thanks for your help!

P.S.  Since Rush is a week away, I need to do this quickly.

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: H-2 or R-09??? I need to pull this trigger soon...
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 06:37:25 AM »
I definitely wouldn't get the H-2 if you are planning to use an external mic. Reports on the Zoom forum are that the H-2 mic preamp is quite noisy with all external mics tested (but not when using the on board mics).

Even using the internal mics, you could run into problems with the H-2 because someone also reported on that site that the if the H-2 signal is clipping at the L/M/H setting you choose, adjusting the digital gain won't prevent the clipping. If you turn down the gain apparently you are just reducing the volume of the already recorded signal after it has been processed by the A-D converter.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline calvinroots

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Time Will Tell
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 07:43:31 AM »
I like my R-09 but I'm no tech...just my $.02!
audio - STC-11's (card's & omni's) > CA-9100 > R-09
photog - Canon 40D, 50mm 1.8 II, 70-200 4.0 L, 28-135 kit

Roving Sign

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 08:07:55 AM »
I definitely wouldn't get the H-2 if you are planning to use an external mic. Reports on the Zoom forum are that the H-2 mic preamp is quite noisy with all external mics tested (but not when using the on board mics).

I definitely wouldn't get the R-9 if you are planning to use an external mic. Danm near everyone who has touched one has broken off one of the input jacks off the circuit board.

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 10:49:16 AM »
Rush are filming one or both Rotterdam concerts for a DVD release, but we may not get the entire concert.  Your stealth efforts will be appreciated.

I like my R-09 and knock-on-wood have had no input jack issues.  I use right-angle jacks only.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline firebaugh

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • NOLA Underground
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 01:35:47 PM »
R-09.  I've taped a number shows with mine and I've been quite happy.
M-Audio Pulsar II > UA-5 Oade wmod > R-09 (temp)
Soundboard > ST-9100 v.3 > Tascam DR-07

"When anybody asks me 'what kind of music I play' I say depression era metal." - Scott H. Biram

Offline dmonkey

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 12:03:11 AM »
FWIW, I've taped quite a few shows with my R-09 and never broken the jack. I wouldn't shy away from it for that reason. Great little device, in my opinion.
MK4's, KM140's or MC930's >  Tinybox or Aerco MP-2 > R-09, M-10, R-44 (Oade CM) or MixPre-6

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 12:48:48 AM »

I definitely wouldn't get the R-9 if you are planning to use an external mic. Danm near everyone who has touched one has broken off one of the input jacks off the circuit board.

I have been using the R09 heavily for over a year (both mic and line jacks) without a problem. 

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline china_rider

• Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 01:45:53 AM »
I'm another that have used the R-9 for quite some time without issues.  Not sure if I am more more careful then others that report issues, but I set my levels, throw the R-9 in a pocket and leave it running, and have never had a problem.  I do use a right angle mini plug.  I really like the R-9.

I know of two others personally that had the H-2.  Both were not happy with it and sold them on ebay within a few months of buying them.
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2007, 03:05:56 AM »
I know of two others personally that had the H-2.  Both were not happy with it and sold them on ebay within a few months of buying them.
It's only been available since late August - are you sure you're not thinking of the earlier H4??

Offline china_rider

• Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2007, 03:10:37 AM »
It's only been available since late August - are you sure you're not thinking of the earlier H4??

Yep... I'm actually talking about what ever is the first one that came out.
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Roving Sign

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2007, 07:34:24 AM »

Yep... I'm actually talking about what ever is the first one that came out.

Thats the H4 - The H2 is the new one...I think the verdict is still out on the H2...

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2007, 08:10:45 PM »
My H2 verdict would be that its prime feature is the four built in mics, and the recorder is best used with them.  External mics input is rather insensitive with any mics I've tried it with.  Line in seems as good as anything else.  Most of the other features are of little real use if you are going to post-produce your recordings in a PC afterwards - best to record with the gimmicks turned off, and decide how to handle the audio at your leisure later, working on a copy.

It's the audio equivalent of the point & shoot camera.  If you think of it that way, you'll be pleased.  If you expect it to be the equivalent of a DSLR, you'll be disappointed.

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2007, 02:22:59 PM »
After almost a year using my R-09 every week, no input issues so far.
Very happy with mine. Maybe I'm a lucky guy.
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2007, 02:45:30 PM »
I have an H2 and it has been ok just using the internal mics. I don't think it is the end-all, be-all of recorders though, just a cheap way to get into recording. One warning, don't use the AGC. I tried it for one show and it totally screwed up the recording.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2007, 07:51:14 PM »
Indeed, the H2 should only be used with everything flat/off/disabled.  Set the level to M 100 for anything that's not seriously loud, or L 100 if it's loud.  Not much to be gained by using the H setting.   Analog noise levels though remarkably low from the built in mics given the price do not appear to justify recording in 24 bits.  Think of it as a "point and shoot" device and do rest in your DAW program afterwards.

For an example of what it's capable of when used in a studio and tweaked afterwards, see the one-minute sample at http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/9/22/1451533/One%20minute%20skin.mp3

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.1 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com