Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: My first recording with Church Audio gear  (Read 3288 times)

Offline giapetus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
My first recording with Church Audio gear
« on: September 05, 2016, 10:59:48 AM »
Hi to you all!
I hope this is the right section...
Last September 1st I taped the Eagles Of Death Metal by my pcm m-10 recorder and my new Church Audio gear...
I use:
Ca14 card mics - Ugly2 preamp setting +15db - Sony PCM M-10 recorder -

Connections:
Ca14 card---->input---Ugly2---output>--->line in---PCM M-10

In the afternoon I tried my gear for the first time and channel right didn' work, after some tests I understood the problem was the cable (in a connector the right channel contact touched with the ground).
During the tests looking for the failure I turned with a screwdriver the two trimmers of the Ugly2 preamp, now they are in max position.
I'm a newbie and I don't know the right setting... How must I setting the Ugly2?  how are they must adjust? I keep them to maximum... is it correct?
How can I adjust at the right recording level before start? I noticed the volume on M-10 recorder didn't adjust the level... is it right?

I put the mics on the hat and I stayed in front of stage 10-15 meters from it My EODM recording was a bit distorted, on my m10 the 2 green leds were turned on and the 2 red leds flashed anytime, but if tried to adjust the level by the volume didn't change.

Many thanks in advance for your kind replies...

Offline TheMetalist

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
Re: My first recording with Church Audio gear
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 02:40:58 PM »
How must I setting the Ugly2?  how are they must adjust? I keep them to maximum... is it correct?

>>> Maybe this thread can help: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=175608.0

I noticed the volume on M-10 recorder didn't adjust the level... is it right?

>>> Perhaps the Rec level switch was set to 'Auto'?
"The music is your passport - Your magic key - To all the madness that awaits you." B.L. '86

Offline giapetus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 09:15:30 AM »
Thank you Olsson for the link.
Probably for to adjust the rec level of the "line in" I must adjust the Ugly2 gain...

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 09:13:07 PM »
Look on the back of the PCM-M10 to make sure the Record Level switch is on Manual. You'll notice that when you switch the display changes so that you can tell at a glance.

If you have a loud concert the preamp should be very low, or even at zero, so it is sending power to the mic but is not adding volume. Adding 15+db to a LOUD show is probably what caused the overload.

Offline Chrisedge

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 07:39:15 PM »
I have an M10, a 9200 pre and I usually set the preamp level @ 15+ for a normal "loud" show and the level all the way up. The M10 is at 3.5-4.5 on the recording level. The volume level has nothing to do with the recording.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kuj8K6jY_n8
This was recorded and was WAY loud, at those levels...(3.5 probably on the M10)
Audio: Sound Professionals SP-CMC-10 (AT933s) or Church Audio CA-14 (Omni & Cards) Mics >
Sound Professionals Battery Box SP-SPSB-1, SP-SPSB-10 or Church Audio Preamp CA9200 >
Sony PCM-A10, Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2d Recorders
Video: Panasonic DCM-ZS100 & GoPro 7 Black

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 11:35:37 PM »
The volume level has nothing to do with the recording.

To clarify this, in case it's not obvious: The little silver wheel on the right side of the M10 controls the recording levels (gain). The volume buttons on the left side only control the volume of playback.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com