Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What's the con with slow CF cards?  (Read 2876 times)

Offline sunjan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
What's the con with slow CF cards?
« on: March 07, 2008, 11:56:09 AM »
I'm about to jump the gun on the Iriver CF mod, but I haven't made up my mind about which CF card to get.

Is there any major downside running a cheap low-speed CF card? From a taper's point of view, I mean.
Slow transfer times is obvious, but I can live with that.
Is the boot-up time severly affected, or will it annoy me in the field in other ways?

/J
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline anonymous_user

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: What's the con with slow CF cards?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 04:47:02 AM »
As far as SD cards go, the real experienced and knowledgeable users of this site (not me) have said multiple times over the last couple years that the speed of the card won't really matter for *recording*. I believe a Class 2 SD card has almost double the speed necessary to easily handle 24/48 or 24/96 recording. Key phrase being almost double... so even with a Class 2 card it's not close enough to worry about, since it's about 2x faster than the speed used for 24-bit recording. I've seen this subject come up here and there when someone asks about getting a higher class SD card, and if it's "more safe", but according to all the most well-known users here with high post counts, it's not.

The higher speed will certainly help transfer times though. Some people have also mentioned the possibility of higher-speed cards actually having potential for errors if the speed is achieved using a burst-method, but I don't believe anyone has actually confirmed that it could cause a problem with a given recorder.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com