Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Anyone else using Google Drive for storage  (Read 16425 times)

Offline TheMetalist

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
Re: Anyone else using Google Drive for storage
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2020, 04:20:55 AM »
I've had Seagate HD's for years (external and internal), haven't had one fail (yet). All brands of hard drives have bad batches and failures, just the luck of the draw sometimes.
TheMetalist, as it happens, I've had the exact opposite experience personally: two WD failures out of maybe half a dozen, and no Seagate failures ever out of more than twenty. And I have "heard" that WD drives are known to be unreliable.

I'm happy you guys have great a experience with your Seagate discs. I've had a lot of bad experience with them in the past and they only had 2 years warranty vs. WD's 3-5 years (depending on disc type) which says something. At least to me. They were cheaper and you get what you pay for, as always. They also had a lot of failures in general looking at tests, reviews and comparisons. Seems like they may have stepped up and it's not unlikely I will go that route for my next drive purchase. Thanks for your input on this.  :)

https://www.backblaze.com/b2/hard-drive-test-data.html

Looking at the Lifetime Hard Drive Stats through Q3 2019 the annulized failure rates are:

HGST (owned by WD): 0.47-0.80 %
Seagate: 0.57-2.67%
Toshiba: 0.74-0.81%

Which confirms that Seagate has a higher failure rate but it's not THAT bad which is great.  :coolguy:
"The music is your passport - Your magic key - To all the madness that awaits you." B.L. '86

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2020, 03:52:39 PM »
TheMetalist, as it happens, I've had the exact opposite experience personally: two WD failures out of maybe half a dozen, and no Seagate failures ever out of more than twenty. And I have "heard" that WD drives are known to be unreliable.
MANY MANY MANY years ago, before you could say that I "collect" hard drives, I had heard that WD were unreliable, so I used Seagate as my main drives when I was first expanding capacity (2001 I bought a 2Gb PATA drive for $109 and was stoked). Finally around 2008-2009 I had a seagate 2Tb or 3Tb drive or two fail gently on me (I could copy all the data off before they pooped out) but the result was that I switched over to WD.

I experimented around 2010 with WD dual-drive external cases that made RAID stripes inside, and they were not good, although I was buying refurbs off Ebay, so I can't exactly say that it was build quality.

Now ten years later, I finally had a WD drive soft fail on me. One of the BB Easystore 8TB drives. They only have a 2-year warranty, and I also believe the length of warranty is proportional to the company's belief in the quality of their own product. But the RMA process was smooth and now I have a drive which says "re-certified in Vietnam"

As for flash memory, I've had failures on SD cards from Transcend (~2008), Adata (2010)  and Sound Devices (2018, 2019) but no issues with Sandisk or Kingston (or Sony or lexar) [excluding problems traced directly to the Tascam DR-70D which is extraordinarily picky about requiring approved media!!!]
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2020, 05:55:39 AM »
My point wasn't that I know which brand is better, but that any given individual, based solely on his or her own experience, is quite likely to reach conclusions that are driven by more or less random variables, while believing that those conclusions have a more general validity than they actually possess. (In other words, typical human decisions.)

--I'm somewhat, but not strongly, persuaded that a longer warranty period indicates a more reliable product. I think the equation has quite a few controlling variables, including the oddly sporadic usage pattern (write once, disconnect for weeks / months / years) of archiving. And in terms of business economics it could be a "self-fulfilling prophecy" to some extent, if a longer warranty period is widely perceived to indicate greater reliability when that is not actually the case--increasing the sales of that product line and allowing the manufacturer to carry some additional costs of defective returns while still keeping it profitable.

There may be several concerns that need considering. Say there's an average time by which a given model of drive accumulates a 1% likelihood of failure; that time will differ for different drive types. But the failures might or might not "avalanche" after that point, such that the drive with the longest life up to its 1% point may also be the drive that reaches a 5% failure likelihood the soonest. It's purely a business decision as to what warranty a manufacturer would offer in such a case if it occurred.

Surely there are cases that go in that direction, even if not to the extent of my evil little thought experiment. I'm sure that the major manufacturers have graduate engineers on staff who spend all their time analyzing and quantifying drive failures, and I'm equally sure that we don't know what those people know. Thus I never trust any one drive (or other physical medium) longer than the minimum time necessary to duplicate its contents onto a backup.

--best regards
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 08:26:49 AM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2020, 02:19:01 PM »
My point wasn't that I know which brand is better, but that any given individual, based solely on his or her own experience, is quite likely to reach conclusions that are driven by more or less random variables, while believing that those conclusions have a more general validity than they actually possess. (In other words, typical human decisions.)

I think you just gave the non-dictionary version of the definition for confirmation bias:

The tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information in a way that confirms or strengthens one's prior personal beliefs or hypotheses.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2020, 05:51:45 PM »
You only think that because it reinforces your existing concept of confirmation bias.
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline F0CKER

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2020, 04:41:25 PM »
You only think that because it reinforces your existing concept of confirmation bias.

😂
Nevaton MC49 -> Sonosax SX-R4

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2020, 05:56:49 PM »
I have a 60TB NAS that I would like to back up but have run into several hurdles outside of my 1TB Xfinity data cap.  Most services like Backblaze, Crashplan, Dropbox, etc won't allow me to point to a mapped network drive.  Anyone here figured out a workaround?
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline Enswearry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2020, 04:49:16 AM »
I’m in the process of moving my masters to g drive for backup. Curious if anyone else foes the same and if you have any concerns about this solution? I feel comfortable my files will be protected and backed up so I’t need to worry about drive failures anymore. Is there anything that concerns you about this solution I should be thinking about - outside of the annual fee?

Also, thought it would he cool if we could open our collections to others with view / read access. I’d be willing to share mine. I haven’t moved everything yet but in the process now

Yes, I have been using Google drive for storage. For me it has been pretty good experience, all my files are readily available and are accessible to me anywhere I want. I don't think there is any concern.

Offline rigpimp

« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2020, 09:42:14 PM »
How are people getting around the 1TB limit for storage?  Apparently, if I sign up for a business account (GSuite) I only get 1TB of storage.  ??
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2020, 09:57:24 PM »
i have 2TB i think im in at $10 a month

Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2020, 03:13:21 AM »
I have a 60TB NAS that I would like to back up but have run into several hurdles outside of my 1TB Xfinity data cap.  Most services like Backblaze, Crashplan, Dropbox, etc won't allow me to point to a mapped network drive.  Anyone here figured out a workaround?

Maybe try iDrive? You can access via the web, add your phone, backup a mapped network drive, etc. 60 TB is a lot, though; I am not sure what they offer in that range... 

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2020, 11:19:00 AM »
Hightail is $15/month for unlimited storage. 

Offline rigpimp

« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2020, 01:54:46 PM »

Does it all live in a space that is easily digestible?  I want something that is a solid cloud back up that I can also share large data from

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2020, 02:45:06 PM »

Does it all live in a space that is easily digestible?  I want something that is a solid cloud back up that I can also share large data from

You can set up unlimited spaces.  I have one for my recordings and then a series of others.  Within each space there are searching, sorting and filtering options.  Also individual uploads have their own link.  That's what I generally share and I keep a document with those links (that's what I share weekly).  There is also the ability to transfer directly between some other cloud storage options. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.114 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com