Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Reactive BoostBox and DPA battery box  (Read 6726 times)

Offline ab05

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Reactive BoostBox and DPA battery box
« on: March 21, 2006, 06:46:55 AM »
Hi,
recently I got a pair of DPA 4060s with microdot ends and a DPA MPS6030 battery box (with the 1/8 jack output).
It's a great (but a little quiet) gear to tape loud shows, but I would like to tape also not amplified classical music, so I need to use a pre-amp.

Now, I know the best pre-amp for my mics is the DPA MMA6000 but at the moment I don't have the extra money to buy it  ::)
BUT I have a ReactiveSounds "Boost Box" pre-amp ( http://www.reactivesounds.com/spa2.php ) so I was wondering if I could use it in this configuration:

4060s mics  -->  MPS6030 battery box  -->  ReactiveSounds Boost Box pre-amp  -->  MD Line-In

My question is this: since the mics are already powered by the DPA battery box (and I can't power both them directly with the pre-amp because of the microdot ends), is it a problem if I use also the pre-amp? Are the mics over-powered in this way (9v of the batt.box + 9v of the pre-amp)?

Probably it is a silly question, but I really need your help.
Thanks in advance for any replies.
Alberto, from Italy.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 06:54:48 AM by ab05 »

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Reactive BoostBox and DPA battery box
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 09:31:55 AM »
I only have some thoughts on this and definatly do not know the truth, but here is my $0.2 and a bump for your thread. 

The 6030 battery box most likely has a part that eliminates any power from entering back into the box.  From my understanding you should be able to use both the battery box and the reactive boost box and only have 9v going to the mics.  It sounds like the same situation when people plug their core-sound binurals into the mic (PIP) in of their MD recorder.  The 3v from the recorder never makes it to the mics.  Someone on here im sure could confirm this, but I am almost possitive you should have no problems.  I would verify before you try it though because an extra 9v will fry your mics. 

Good Luck!
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline corsair

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 12:12:04 PM »
There is a bug on the Boost Box, such that it cannot accept mics that are powered already.. That box must power
the mics itself....

You might want to check with the people at Reactive Sounds about it.
Audio-Technica ES943/C's -> Home-made 3-wire battery box -> Tascam DR-07

CHURCH-AUDIO

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 11:36:05 AM »
The DPA battery box will have dc blocking caps on the output, so it should not be a problem. The reactive sound preamp will work with powered mics, as far as I know. You will not damage the mics trying this, I would call reactive sounds and ask them if there is a resistor that you can clip the leads on to remove the plug in power, I am sure this can be done. I would also take a look at one of our preamps in the future when you want to upgrade to something else. We make custom preamps that do not have that curly cord and are smaller in size, and have a built in Hi pass filter starting at $150. Shamless plug I know.

Chris Church
Church Audio

Hi,
recently I got a pair of DPA 4060s with microdot ends and a DPA MPS6030 battery box (with the 1/8 jack output).
It's a great (but a little quiet) gear to tape loud shows, but I would like to tape also not amplified classical music, so I need to use a pre-amp.

Now, I know the best pre-amp for my mics is the DPA MMA6000 but at the moment I don't have the extra money to buy it  ::)
BUT I have a ReactiveSounds "Boost Box" pre-amp ( http://www.reactivesounds.com/spa2.php ) so I was wondering if I could use it in this configuration:

4060s mics  -->  MPS6030 battery box  -->  ReactiveSounds Boost Box pre-amp  -->  MD Line-In

My question is this: since the mics are already powered by the DPA battery box (and I can't power both them directly with the pre-amp because of the microdot ends), is it a problem if I use also the pre-amp? Are the mics over-powered in this way (9v of the batt.box + 9v of the pre-amp)?

Probably it is a silly question, but I really need your help.
Thanks in advance for any replies.
Alberto, from Italy.

Offline ab05

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 01:46:48 AM »
Thanks to all for the replies.
I've contacted Reactive Sound and this is their answer:
"Sorry, the powered mic set up will not work with our Boost Box.  They are not compatible. I am not certain if you will be able to remove the leads, we have had others try without success."

So I think I will use the mic-in of my minidisc recorder, and as soon as possible I will buy the DPA pre-amp with microdots connectors (I don't want to remove the microdots ends of my mics).

CHURCH-AUDIO

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 02:14:52 AM »
I can make you a preamp with out plug in power for your mics if your interested pm me

Chris Church

"Sorry, the powered mic set up will not work with our Boost Box.  They are not compatible. I am not certain if you will be able to remove the leads, we have had others try without success."

So I think I will use the mic-in of my minidisc recorder, and as soon as possible I will buy the DPA pre-amp with microdots connectors (I don't want to remove the microdots ends of my mics).

Offline itook2much

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKA rspencer
    • my masters
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 08:58:48 AM »
Customer service right there ^
+t
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > CS BB > Edirol R-09

Backups:  DPA 4060 (1/8"), SP-BMC-2, SP-SPSB-6, Sony MZ-NH1

Quote from: tomluvsgiants
rule #1 - get the show taped
rule #2 - see rule #1    >:D

Quote from: Grace Hopper
“If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.”

Offline hyperplane

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2006, 11:12:46 PM »
yep, been keeping up with this thread as well.

FWIW, someone else on this board once said they had Chris at Sound Professionals do the DPA termination soldering (to a standard mini-plug) and it cost them like $15. so if you decide to save the $$$ of buying the DPA preamp (MMA6000?), then i would suggest getting Sound Professionals to do the mic plug modification.

CHURCH-AUDIO

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006, 12:00:31 AM »
Or just buy one of my new microdot preamps :) I am coming out with in the next few weeks..
I would make sure if your going to get anyone to cut your cable off that they dont use the cheap gold connecotors and use at least neutrik. Or better yet switchcraft right angle gold connectors rock. Or my new microdot preamp:)

Chris Church

FWIW, someone else on this board once said they had Chris at Sound Professionals do the DPA termination soldering (to a standard mini-plug) and it cost them like $15. so if you decide to save the $$$ of buying the DPA preamp (MMA6000?), then i would suggest getting Sound Professionals to do the mic plug modification.

Offline hyperplane

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006, 01:02:50 AM »
or just get the MMA6000, which is a proven excellent quality preamp that works well with the DPA microphones.

something else to consider is this: not that you'd ever part with your DPA mics, but you may get an additional set of mics - maybe some Sennheiser or Audio Technica cardioids. in this situation, if you got the DPA mics modified to terminate into a mini-plug, and got a preamp/battery box with a mini-plug input jack, then you could use *both* sets of mics (DPAs and cardioids) with the preamp/battery box. just something to consider... i know i enjoy running omnis in some situations and cardioids in other situations, and it's nice when you can use one piece of gear (a preamp or battery box) for multiple set ups (i.e. more than one pair of mics). just a thought...

Or just buy one of my new microdot preamps :) I am coming out with in the next few weeks..
I would make sure if your going to get anyone to cut your cable off that they dont use the cheap gold connecotors and use at least neutrik. Or better yet switchcraft right angle gold connectors rock. Or my new microdot preamp:)

Chris Church

Offline madman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2006, 01:20:53 AM »
or just get the MMA6000, which is a proven excellent quality preamp that works well with the DPA microphones.
I agree.  While it may not be within everyone's budget, it is an excellent pre.  Very rugged and I like the notched gain knobs.  I would definitely entertain trying Chris' microdot pre when he has it available.  Like everything else, there are pluses and minuses to almost every setup out there.  You just have to determine what is right for you. 

Offline ab05

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2006, 03:15:24 PM »
Thanks for the info, I could be very interested in your new microdot preamp, if it will be not too expensive as the DPA one...
I will check the specifications as soon as it will be available.

As for the mic plug modification, I prefer to keep the microdot ends. I will use my Reactive pre-amp for other pairs of mics in the future.

Chris Church

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2006, 03:58:54 PM »

I currently use an RA switchcraft with my DPAs and it is a fairly large and bulky connector that completely dwarfs the 406x's.  I'd like to switch to a very low profile RA miniplug but all the small ones seem to pre-molded to a cable.  I don't like doing splices but that is the size I want. I'll probably hack a switchcraft with epoxy at some point.

Offline divamum

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2006, 04:01:38 PM »
really st00pid question but...

is there nothing along the lines of a simple microdot--->miniplug adapter cable that you can put on the DPAS and then plug straight into the Reactive? Or do the DPAs have special power requirements?

This particuarly interests me since i have a reactive box and lust after a pair of 4060s....  ;D
DPA4060
R09

Offline madman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2006, 04:55:12 PM »
I think the only microdot adapters are microdot->XLR to use them w/phantom power.  Other than that, you have to chop off the microdots and get a 1/8" plug soldered on.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com