Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: UA-5 Question (d-mod)  (Read 3696 times)

Offline Cheesecadet

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • http://db.etree.org/cheesecadet
UA-5 Question (d-mod)
« on: January 29, 2007, 10:59:38 PM »
I have seen others post about running mics into the XLRs and SBD into the RCAs on back.  Has anyone ever done this and had problems with delay?  I imagine that there would be some delay issues unless your mics are on stage or something like that.

Anyone have any experiece doing this with positive results from out in the crowd (maybe 35' - 50' from stage)???
AKG 481's, DPA 4061's (Matched), AT ES933's w/ AT853-ELE's (SC/C/O), ECM-19B's, MixPre-3, A10, M10 x 2, Hi Ho Silvers, Various Darktrain & GAKables

Vinyl:
Fluance RT83 Reference > MCS 3230 Receiver > Realistic MC-500's (NOS)

Upcoming:
02/10 J. Dilla
02/14 Wiliie Waldman & The Chocolate Factory
02/15 Gabe & Giz
02/16 GM5
02/28 Grace Potter

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Re: UA-5 Question (d-mod)
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 11:05:53 PM »
I have seen others post about running mics into the XLRs and SBD into the RCAs on back.  Has anyone ever done this and had problems with delay?  I imagine that there would be some delay issues unless your mics are on stage or something like that.

Anyone have any experiece doing this with positive results from out in the crowd (maybe 35' - 50' from stage)???

I've done tis numerous times with varying results.  Delay starts to become aproblem after about 25 feet.  At our local small club, its not a big deal, our stnads are usually 20' back.  But at other clubs, I'e set up as far as 50' and have gotten delay issues...  Echo... echo... echo...

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 11:36:18 PM »
I agree with terry.. more than 20-25' back echo becomes a serious issue.

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 11:46:30 PM »
I agree with terry.. more than 20-25' back echo becomes a serious issue.

I've often thought it would be cool to insert some kind of delay processor in series with the soundboard feed.  I don't know how much such a device would cost or how good it would sound, but it would be cool to dial in the delay and get a perfect matrix on the fly.

Well, those concerns are dropped now that I got an R4, but I do still use the UA5 at small venues.  At one venue I've got mics (AT853) permanently set up ("installed sound") hanging from the ceiling about 6' in front of the stage.  One pointed at the PA speaker and the other to the stage.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline jkbyram

• Taperssection Underachiever
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 01:02:10 AM »
i only use this method in small shitty sounding bars with bad echo and acoustics. usually it is in small rooms where only the voclas and kick drum are mic'd. with a small vocal pa + mics on stage i have had great sucess.

Offline Cheesecadet

• Trade Count: (21)
  • http://db.etree.org/cheesecadet
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 01:45:14 AM »
How about this...when using the UA-5 with just a straight SBD feed using XLRs.

1.) Do I just insert the XLRs from the board directly into the 2 XLR inputs on the front of the UA-5 (or are those only for Mics)?

2.) If I do just put them into the XLR spots on the front of the unit...do i have to be sure Phantom is OFF?  Will the input volume be loud enough?  Should i keep dials set all the way to the left (Line In)?  Any other settings i should be aware of when running out of the board?

Thanks for all the input!
AKG 481's, DPA 4061's (Matched), AT ES933's w/ AT853-ELE's (SC/C/O), ECM-19B's, MixPre-3, A10, M10 x 2, Hi Ho Silvers, Various Darktrain & GAKables

Vinyl:
Fluance RT83 Reference > MCS 3230 Receiver > Realistic MC-500's (NOS)

Upcoming:
02/10 J. Dilla
02/14 Wiliie Waldman & The Chocolate Factory
02/15 Gabe & Giz
02/16 GM5
02/28 Grace Potter

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 02:52:45 PM »
How about this...when using the UA-5 with just a straight SBD feed using XLRs.

1.) Do I just insert the XLRs from the board directly into the 2 XLR inputs on the front of the UA-5 (or are those only for Mics)?

You can do this.

2.) If I do just put them into the XLR spots on the front of the unit...do i have to be sure Phantom is OFF?  Will the input volume be loud enough?  Should i keep dials set all the way to the left (Line In)?  Any other settings i should be aware of when running out of the board?

FOR GOD SAKE MAKE SURE PHANTOM IS OFF.  Or you will fry the soundboard.  That's why I recommend you using the 1/4"TRS inputs on the front.  No danger of Phantom. 

As for the gain knobs, all the way to left is "unity" or zero gain.  What ever leverl you get here is what is being sent by the SBD.  Adjust accordingly with knobs. 

That's it for running SBD.

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 07:45:25 PM »
double check me on this but I believe that the RCA inputs in the back will actually attenuate some of the signal where as the front inputs only add gain - a lot of board feeds will be really hot so you may be better off running into the RCA, but again someone correct me if i'm wrong

also, running on stage you will have Zero concerns of delay
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 09:30:50 PM »
double check me on this but I believe that the RCA inputs in the back will actually attenuate some of the signal where as the front inputs only add gain - a lot of board feeds will be really hot so you may be better off running into the RCA, but again someone correct me if i'm wrong

also, running on stage you will have Zero concerns of delay

You are correct here.  The RCAs attenuate, so you could turn it down.  The XLRs only turn it up...

Terry

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com