Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: HD-P2 internal/external question  (Read 6060 times)

Offline ziko

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Taperssection Member
HD-P2 internal/external question
« on: November 09, 2008, 01:32:38 PM »
Hoping someone can shed light on this issue.

I run a external battery with new internal batteries. The indicator shows the plug/external is being used. The back light stays on as it should when the plug is being used. At the end of the night/morning I check the internal batteries and they show half dead. Anyone?

thanks
john

Offline Myco

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: HD-P2 internal/external question
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 06:36:14 PM »
I can't say that I have an answer for you, but I can say that I don't experience battery drain when I have an external battery hooked up.
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

Offline mattmiller

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 08:21:39 PM »
Off-topic, but is there a community-accepted best external battery for the HD-P2?  I searched the website many months ago and recall not having a conclusive enough answer to place an order for anything.
Mics: Neumann KM100 (x4), AK40 (x2), AK50 (x2)
Pre: Lunatec V3
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam HD-P2 (x2), Sony PCM-M10

Offline Myco

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 08:55:42 PM »
I use this one, but you have many options that provide 12V power.

http://www.bixnet.com/mumiexbapaki1.html
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)

Offline deadheaded

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Kind Kables
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 02:10:08 AM »
hey john
when i had an hd-p2 that would happen to me, same thing happened to coloartist as well.
it appears that is how it works.  pretty much backward from everyone else.
happy taping
ed
If it's worth getting off the couch, it's worth taping!

Offline ziko

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 07:57:58 PM »
thanks for the responses-ed it does seem odd to me to have that draw as well

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/480307-REG/Impact_BPD8000_BPD_8000_Universal_Portable_Li_Ion.html

I use this 9VOLT battery. I have read alot and from what I have read it works without issues for folks. I am having the internals drawn down so I am just concerned that maybe it should be 12 volts.

thanks for the feedback
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 08:00:02 PM by ziko »

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 09:11:48 PM »
the published specs for the HD-P2 is 12V.
(personally, I use this battery pack: http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2492)
though some people report that he deck works fine when powered by 9V externally.

However, the HD-P2 will automatically choose the highest voltage source and use that for power.
So if you put in a set of AA batteries internally, and also plug in the 9V battery external source, it does NOT surprise me that it's going to use the internal batteries first, as that provides a higher voltage.

In the HD-P2 menus, there is an option to show and monitor the existing voltages from the three potential power sources (internal, external, and firewire).

Offline Myco

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 08:57:23 AM »
(personally, I use this battery pack: http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2492)
though some people report that he deck works fine when powered by 9V externally.

However, the HD-P2 will automatically choose the highest voltage source and use that for power.
So if you put in a set of AA batteries internally, and also plug in the 9V battery external source, it does NOT surprise me that it's going to use the internal batteries first, as that provides a higher voltage.

In the HD-P2 menus, there is an option to show and monitor the existing voltages from the three potential power sources (internal, external, and firewire).

what do you get for runtime with that battery Jason? I've run mine all day at festivals and not run it down, but if I can go all weekend without recharging that might be the way to go.

Offline jkbyram

• Taperssection Underachiever
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 11:35:53 AM »
i have been using this one to power both my mmp and hd-p2 at the same time. i also notice my internals run down first and the battery is 9v.  i get around 7 hours running both pieces with this battery.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/480307-REG/Impact_BPD8000_BPD_8000_Universal_Portable_Li_Ion.html

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 09:16:59 PM »

what do you get for runtime with that battery Jason? I've run mine all day at festivals and not run it down, but if I can go all weekend without recharging that might be the way to go.

with the battery that I linked (12V, 4500mAH), I've got 8 or 9 hours (S/PDIF input, no backlight).  the battery was still going, and I've never run it until it died.  so I know I have at least 8 or 9 hours.

Offline mattmiller

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2008, 05:19:08 PM »
Can anybody tell if this has the right adapter tip for the HD-P2?  Or any other glaring pros or cons from its listed specs?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817552001

Offline Myco

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2008, 07:26:42 PM »
You need the "M" tip for the HD-P2, it doesn't come with it, but you can order it from the tekkeon site i would imagine.

Here's a link to their adapter page, give them a call and tell them what you need, i don't see it on their site. If you end up not being able to use the tekkeon and want to sell it let me know.

http://www.tekkeon.com/productcart/pc/showSearchResults.asp?VA=0&ProdSort=&iPageCurrent=1&iPageSize=5&PageStyle=h&customfield=0&SearchValues=&exact=0&keyword=&priceFrom=0&priceUntil=999999999&idCategory=15&IdSupplier=10&withStock=&IDBrand=0&order=2&SKU=

I've used this battery with my P2 for a couple years now with great results.

http://www.bixnet.com/mumiexbapaki1.html
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 07:28:34 PM by Myco »

Offline mattmiller

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2008, 08:18:49 PM »
Thanks -- "M tip" is the buzzword I was looking for.  I've e-mailed Tekkeon about it.  Does that tip come with the battery you use?

For future reference, is there some sort of master list of the names of these adapter tips and their corresponding sizes?  And perhaps the manufacturers who commonly utilize them?

Offline Myco

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2008, 08:23:41 PM »
You know what Matt, try the "D" tip. I tried plugging it into my P2 and it seemed to fit, I just didn't ry to power it up. I always assumed their was a standardized size list, but in trying the Tekkeon tips it doesn't seem to match what I thought was a conventional system. For DVD batteries and the bixnet battery I posted a link to the "M" tip is the right tip, so if the "D" tip doesn't work for you then try to get a "M" tip.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2008, 06:00:19 PM »
I have a Tekkeon 3450 and there were 2 tips that it came with that both work. I am unsure what they are letterwise, but the HD P2 seems to accept a few different tips. You can always go to Rat Shack and get the right tip too. I ordered 2 extra (uncoiled) cables from Tekkeon and picked up extra tips for it there. Again I cannot remember the letter, but thay had a large assortment of tips.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline mattmiller

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2008, 07:38:32 PM »
You know what Matt, try the "D" tip. I tried plugging it into my P2 and it seemed to fit, I just didn't ry to power it up. I always assumed their was a standardized size list, but in trying the Tekkeon tips it doesn't seem to match what I thought was a conventional system. For DVD batteries and the bixnet battery I posted a link to the "M" tip is the right tip, so if the "D" tip doesn't work for you then try to get a "M" tip.

The D tip doesn't seem to work.  It physically fits, but the unit would not power on.  I'll take a look at Radio Shack and see if they have the right one.

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2008, 08:21:45 PM »
jason - what kind of charger and cables do you need with that battery to make it work..? does it give more juice than the bixnet one myco has posted..? would this make a difference to me since i am running phantom (to the c422)... i guess that price includes everything, whereas i think there is more stuff to buy with the batteryspace option... has anybody tried to hack the power cord that comes with the p2 to make a battery cord that fits snugly..?

my internal aa rechargeables failed on me for the first time in several years the other night, so i am looking to go to an external power setup. thanks, in advance, for any insight and information - i appreciate it.
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2008, 10:15:03 AM »
jason - what kind of charger and cables do you need with that battery to make it work..? does it give more juice than the bixnet one myco has posted..? would this make a difference to me since i am running phantom (to the c422)... i guess that price includes everything, whereas i think there is more stuff to buy with the batteryspace option... has anybody tried to hack the power cord that comes with the p2 to make a battery cord that fits snugly..?

my internal aa rechargeables failed on me for the first time in several years the other night, so i am looking to go to an external power setup. thanks, in advance, for any insight and information - i appreciate it.

i hacked the original cable that tascam sent to power on the wall wart, spliced 4pin XLR on either side, and then added a 4pin XLR on the battery pack from battery space.  that way i can reuse the wall-wart and have a nice locking connection for the battery.  we also ordered an XLR splitter so we can power both the hdp2 and the mini-me.

used different tips for a while, but seemed to never really fit perfectly, both the m and d tips.  lost enough recordings that it was definitely worth it to splice the original cable.

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2008, 01:06:13 PM »
thanks todd. that is a good idea, so that you can keep the wall wart functional, too...

i ended up buying this battery (the one that jason linked to on the previous page), this charger, and this connector. i am planning on just connecting the wires from the other end of the tamiya connector to the plug i hack from my wallwart (assuming i can find it)...

i dont really need the wall wart, i have two p2s, so i have a functioning wallwart (somewhere  :o)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 01:09:58 PM by macdaddy »
-macdaddy ++

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2008, 09:20:54 AM »
so i made the cable last night - with some help from justy guyee - and all works fine, but when i check the power readings i get 13.46v from the battery. is this too much..? i bought the 12v 4500 battery that jason linked to, so i assume it would be fine since it is the same battery others use with success...

-macdaddy ++

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2008, 06:34:34 PM »
you'll be fine.

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2008, 06:41:12 PM »
thanks - i just wanted to make sure. and thx for the link (i wouldnt have found the battery w/o your post)... i think i should be the way to go since i use the tmod, so i run the works (a/d, pres, etc.), and the AAs were not cutting it...

+t
-macdaddy ++

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 50 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com