Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Primo caps and Nakamichi 700's  (Read 18901 times)

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Primo caps and Nakamichi 700's
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2007, 04:33:40 PM »
I found some pics that I took of the CM-1000/CP-101(card cap):
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,67635.msg909501.html#msg909501

I'll take come pics of the 700 caps when I get home...

That NAK 1000 cap is made by Primo its an OEM version of the em 23 cardioid cap they changed a few things but there is one dead give away the phase plug in front of the capsule is 100% primo engineering.

There's two different caps in those pictures....the top is from a cm300.  The bottom two are from the 1000.  Is that the one you're referring to?

They are both made by Primo the one pictured for the Nak 1000 was never for sale to the public it was strictly OEM for Nak I know this because the front of the capsule for the Nak1000 that is pictured has the same phase plug as the large Primo measurement capsule that is used in Simpson Decibel meters.  So they are made by the same company. As primo has a patent on that phase plug.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 04:35:14 PM by Church-Audio »
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2007, 04:51:43 PM »
Interesting...
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2007, 05:23:43 PM »
Interesting...

Primo is a Japan company with very strong ties to other Japanese microphone companies, they have done OEM capsules for a lot of products. They are no longer on the top of there game because of the Chinese capsules but at one time the quality and price were very hard to beat. I have about 3,000 Primo capsules. None of the ones used in the Nak mics but, I have these little omni capsules that have a frequency response from 20hz to 40khz. And they handle 120db they are the EM125 capsule. I have always liked Primo capsules. They are one of the few companies that actually had real specs for there products. And the build quality is quite good. The Crown CM 311 headset considered by many to be one of the best cardioid headsets for rock and roll Uses the Primo em23 capsule. And to this day Crown still uses primo capsules. For mics like there PZM mics and other boundary mics AT uses a few different Primo capsules as well.

Offline audBall

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2007, 05:48:53 PM »
As promised....

The cards are on the left, the omnis are on the right. 

Notice the color difference in my cards (brass ring vs. silver, black plastic vs. grey)

dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2007, 02:06:56 AM »
As promised....

The cards are on the left, the omnis are on the right. 

Notice the color difference in my cards (brass ring vs. silver, black plastic vs. grey)

You can see here that Primo simply put a back chamber on the omni mics and left the backplate open on the Cardioid mics. They use a simple gasket approach to allow the tailoring of the front to back ratio of the capsule. This is one tweak that can be done to this mics to alter the directional characteristics of this capsule. By tightening the plastic screw on the back of the capsule you can infect control the back venting of the back plate thus control the compliance of the diaphragm. This tweak can allow for more bottom end or less bottom end depending on how "open" the screw is.

Offline audBall

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2007, 07:26:52 AM »
You can see here that Primo simply put a back chamber on the omni mics and left the backplate open on the Cardioid mics. They use a simple gasket approach to allow the tailoring of the front to back ratio of the capsule. This is one tweak that can be done to this mics to alter the directional characteristics of this capsule. By tightening the plastic screw on the back of the capsule you can infect control the back venting of the back plate thus control the compliance of the diaphragm. This tweak can allow for more bottom end or less bottom end depending on how "open" the screw is.

Chris, this is all great info! 

When you say 'plastic screw' are you referring to the outer ring with the holes on either side?  The two holes kinda remind me of the screw-back watches and their special 'screwdrivers'.

dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2007, 08:33:39 AM »

When you say 'plastic screw' are you referring to the outer ring with the holes on either side?  The two holes kinda remind me of the screw-back watches and their special 'screwdrivers'.

The plastic part with the 4 holes in it that unscrews is the part that can be adjusted.

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2007, 08:24:51 AM »

The plastic part with the 4 holes in it that unscrews is the part that can be adjusted.

Chris, now that you have the pics. Are these caps available from Primo? Part number?

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2007, 08:35:52 AM »

Chris, now that you have the pics. Are these caps available from Primo? Part number?
EM-21

The cardioid capsule is the EM-21 the omni capsule is the EM-23 go to http://www.primomic.com/ or Call
1-972.548.9807 you can order the parts direct from them $50- If I remember correctly.

Chris

Offline ts

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2007, 08:41:46 AM »

EM-21

The cardioid capsule is the EM-21 the omni capsule is the EM-23 go to http://www.primomic.com/ or Call
1-972.548.9807 you can order the parts direct from them $50- If I remember correctly.

Chris

I think those are the CM300 caps. I'm looking for the CM700 caps. Much smaller. Audball posted pics.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2007, 08:46:02 AM »

EM-21

Chris

I think those are the CM300 caps. I'm looking for the CM700 caps. Much smaller. Audball posted pics.

Measure the diameter of the capsule and tell me what it is. I dont have a 700 here. But I am pretty sure they are the same size? or Am I wrong?

Offline ts

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2007, 09:11:16 AM »

EM-21

Chris

Measure the diameter of the capsule and tell me what it is. I dont have a 700 here. But I am pretty sure they are the same size? or Am I wrong?

They are def different. I think the CM700 dia. is 1/2 in. and longer in length than the 300 cap.

Roving Sign

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2007, 09:20:29 AM »
I had speculated in another thread that these might be the 700 caps

http://www.primomic.com/products/cm-23b5.htm

Chris the 700s look kind of like a measurement mic...tapered tips like earthworks...

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2007, 10:57:24 AM »
I had speculated in another thread that these might be the 700 caps

http://www.primomic.com/products/cm-23b5.htm

Chris the 700s look kind of like a measurement mic...tapered tips like earthworks...

Oh ok I know what your talking about now. I did find out what capsule that was it was a capsule that Primo used as a measuring mic the one you linked too is similar but this one is the exact one used for the omni capsule.

Offline audBall

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2007, 11:03:19 AM »
Do you have a part number for those, Chris?  It appears that those might be the same in diameter, but just a little longer from front to back....but that could just be the pics.  I wonder if the thread patterns are the same.
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.103 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com