Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Patching in to the soundboard  (Read 7508 times)

Offline ukj69

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Patching in to the soundboard
« on: July 15, 2008, 11:20:06 AM »
I am going to be taping a show and have permission to patch my Hi-MD recorder to the SDB.  Is this the cable I need to do that?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2110469&cp=

Offline cleantone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Patching in to the soundboard
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 11:35:50 AM »
Welcome to the forum. You will find the search function very helpful. We would need more information. The type of input your recorder has and the make and model of the console. You most likely have an 1/8" input. The console will have either RCA, 1/4", or XLR outputs. RCA to 1/8" stereo mini jack is one cable you will want. Then you can either buy 1/4" male to RCA female adapters or another cable that is two 1/4" to an 1/8" stereo mini jack.
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

Offline ukj69

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 11:37:31 AM »
Thank you for the info and yes, I have a 1/8" jack on the MD recorder, so then the link for the cable above would be the proper calbe, correct?

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 12:34:54 PM »
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,34254.0.html

you can get everything for less then that cable you linked if you go with a different brand
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline stantheman1976

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 01:21:44 PM »
Do those RCA>XLR adapters work well?  Are there any issues with noise or anything?

Offline ukj69

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 01:51:35 PM »
Thanks, and where can I purchase that cable?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 08:36:43 PM »

I don't recall where I got mine.  Google will reveal lots of options.  Keywords like...

3.5mm rca cable
rca 1/4 adapter
rca xlr adapter

...will do the trick.

Alternatively, I know it was a little tricky knowing exactly what to look for and where to find it when I started out, so here are specific options at Markertek:

3.5mm stereo | 2 x RCA-male mono cable - only need one of these;  recommend 10' since you might not always be able to have your gear close to the soundboard
RCA-female mono | 1/4"-male mono adapter - you'll need two of these
RCA-female mono | XLR-female mono adapter - you'll need two of these

Other vendors may have better prices, different manufacturers, etc., but the above should do the trick.

Even though you already have permission from the band / sound engineer to patch, make sure you politely share with the sound engineer what you'd like to do / have permission for.  Only plug in the cables yourselves if he tells you to do so (highly unlikely), otherwise show him the cable / adapters and let him plug everything in (very likely).
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 07:15:31 AM »
Do those RCA>XLR adapters work well?  Are there any issues with noise or anything?

yes.
no.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline MSTaper

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 02:17:57 PM »
I recently got a soundboard pull (the Fiddleworms from Muscle Shoals) and the engineer was very gracious. It helped that I knew him, but he had a 1/4 out and I had an adapted. He plugged in and I did my thing and stayed out of his way. It was a mono pull, but all instruments and vocals were crisp and clear in his mix. It sounds wonderful and when people complement me, I tell them it was the sound man. All I did was plug in and set the levels.

I did feel like I wasn't really taping in a way. I could have set up mics in a safe place dfc, but I wanted to try the soundboard pull since I don't get many around here. Not enough bands using boards in the bars and other times I just want to play with my mics and location.

But yeah, having the right cables/adapters is a must. I'm still amassing a collection.

MSTaper
Church Audio CA-11, Avantone CK-1
Edirol UA-5
Edirol R-09, Fostex FR-2LE

12/13 Patterson Hood - Florence, Ala.

Offline ukj69

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 09:02:52 PM »
Thank you for the info. I appreciate all the help.

Offline intpseeker

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • In music the passions enjoy themselves
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 10:13:43 PM »

I don't recall where I got mine.  Google will reveal lots of options.  Keywords like...

3.5mm rca cable
rca 1/4 adapter
rca xlr adapter

...will do the trick.

Alternatively, I know it was a little tricky knowing exactly what to look for and where to find it when I started out, so here are specific options at Markertek:

3.5mm stereo | 2 x RCA-male mono cable - only need one of these;  recommend 10' since you might not always be able to have your gear close to the soundboard

Other vendors may have better prices, different manufacturers, etc., but the above should do the trick.

Even though you already have permission from the band / sound engineer to patch, make sure you politely share with the sound engineer what you'd like to do / have permission for.  Only plug in the cables yourselves if he tells you to do so (highly unlikely), otherwise show him the cable / adapters and let him plug everything in (very likely).

Are most sbds female? I have the 3.5 to rca males and a 1/4 male adapter, and I was going to get 2 rca female to xlr male adaptors, thinking all the connections on the board are female.
Mics:        Akg 451 eb A51's, ck-1's, ck-2's, ck 8's
                Peluso CEMC6 MK2, MK4, MK21, MK41
                AKG 391
                CA-11 cards and omnis
Pre:          ST-9100
Cables:     XTC Silvers, DT47-12's
Recorders: ACM PMD660
                 Busman modded R-4
                 PCM-M10
                 DR-70D
                 Church modded R-09 micsketeer
“One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain” - Bob Marley

Offline BradM

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 10:47:01 PM »

3.5mm rca cable
rca 1/4 adapter
rca xlr adapter

...will do the trick.

Are most sbds female? I have the 3.5 to rca males and a 1/4 male adapter, and I was going to get 2 rca female to xlr male adaptors, thinking all the connections on the board are female.

I think soundboard inputs are female, while their outputs are male. From what I've seen with XLR, producers of signal (like microphones and soundboard outputs) are male (go figure...) while consumers of signal (like pre-amp or soundboards inputs) are female.

Aloha,
Brad
2015-07

03 / Pokey Lafarge / Ottawa, ON / Ritual
11 / PleasureCraft / Ottawa, ON / Irene's Pub

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 08:31:24 AM »
inputs to a console are always female, outputs are always male.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 09:08:48 AM »

This definitely holds true for XLR connections.  But 1/4" mono and RCA?  I don't think I've ever seen a 1/4" mono male output, or an RCA male output.  But I have limited experience with soundboards.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2008, 09:24:58 AM »

This definitely holds true for XLR connections.  But 1/4" mono and RCA?  I don't think I've ever seen a 1/4" mono male output, or an RCA male output.  But I have limited experience with soundboards.

good point.
unless you are patching out of a POS Mackie/Behringer, etc..., chances are the outputs will be xlr's, but low end gear does still use 1/4" and occasionally RCA outputs for record out or monitor outs. even the crappiest of the crap use xlr's as main outs.

i always remond people to bring a sp/dif and an aes/ebu cable with them for board patches too. digital boards are here to stay, and popping up all over the place.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com