Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Hosa ATT448 attenuators for SBD taping?  (Read 3549 times)

Offline Unitmonster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
Hosa ATT448 attenuators for SBD taping?
« on: July 26, 2008, 06:48:54 PM »
Hey all, basically trying to ensure I've got all the cabling I"ll need for sbd patches.  Recently had the unfortunate "brickwalling sbd patch" experience and figure I need to invest in a pair of attenuators for future use.

Basically I want to be well equipped to go SBD>FR2-LE (ie. xlr or 1/4" TRS in).  So far I have a dual 1/4" to XLR (Male) cable, and I plan to buy two 1/4" > RCA adaptors next. Aside from that, if I'm not mistaken, all I need is some kind of attenuation.  I can't afford to break the bank on a pair of attenuators I'll use twice a year, so I was looking at the Hosa ATT-448s which seem to sell at under $20 each (http://www.proaudiosolutions.com/product-p/att-448.htm).  Would these be ok? Anyone run into problems with them before? I saw suggestions for the Shure and AT versions but they seem to be more than 2x the price.  If I can, I'd prefer to try the Hosa models.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
AT853rx (c,sc,o)> Fostex FR2-LE (Busman T-Mod)

Offline Unitmonster

• Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
Re: Hosa ATT448 attenuators for SBD taping?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 09:43:50 PM »
which would you recommend in going from a sbd rca out (or xlr/trs for that matter) to the fostex FR2-LE?  Would the 12db suffice?  Do you mail to Canada?

Also, they seem to be male to female.  My xlr cables terminate in Male, so I guess I'd need Female to male.  Do you have those?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 09:45:40 PM by Unitmonster »
AT853rx (c,sc,o)> Fostex FR2-LE (Busman T-Mod)

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 11:17:21 PM »
Well your Fostex says max input level is +2dBV, and nominal is -10dBV.  That's only a nominal 12dB of headroom.  The problem there is a pro mixer is gonna be nominal +4dBu, which is indeed a 12dB difference, but max level is more like +28dBu, for 24dB of headroom.  I wouldn't want to guess how hot the mixer is run, and I wouldn't want to press the +2dBV limit of the Fostex, so I would want 24dB or even 30dB (I can do about any value you like).  The downside there is if the mixer isn't run hot, then you are shedding excess level, which could cost you in noise performance.  But clipping is much worse (and much harder to repair) than noise, so I'd err on the safe side.

BTW, XLR connectors should always have signal flow from male output to female input.  Think of the male pins as showing the signal direction.  The MPD is designed thus with female input and male output.  It's possible to make a symmetrical pad, but it shouldn't be necessary with XLRs.

I ship everywhere . . .

I have a pair of Naiant attenuators (24dB) and can highly recommend them.

Offline RedDawg

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 06:26:06 PM »
Hey all, basically trying to ensure I've got all the cabling I"ll need for sbd patches.  Recently had the unfortunate "brickwalling sbd patch" experience and figure I need to invest in a pair of attenuators for future use.

Basically I want to be well equipped to go SBD>FR2-LE (ie. xlr or 1/4" TRS in).  So far I have a dual 1/4" to XLR (Male) cable, and I plan to buy two 1/4" > RCA adaptors next. Aside from that, if I'm not mistaken, all I need is some kind of attenuation.  I can't afford to break the bank on a pair of attenuators I'll use twice a year, so I was looking at the Hosa ATT-448s which seem to sell at under $20 each (http://www.proaudiosolutions.com/product-p/att-448.htm).  Would these be ok? Anyone run into problems with them before? I saw suggestions for the Shure and AT versions but they seem to be more than 2x the price.  If I can, I'd prefer to try the Hosa models.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
I run these ATT448's when I have too.  they work like a champ.  I'm only mad cause I gave $8 more each on another web site.  The biggest thing on these is that you have 3 different levels (-20,-30,-40)...I like 3 options in one pc of equipment.  I think they are a great purchase.

AKG 480 (61,62,& 63) > Dogstars > ACM R-4

Once in awhile you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 01:34:25 PM »
make sure you have phantom off when using the xlr
i would try to go 1/4 as much as poss myself

and i THINK they are 1/4 ts not trs although trs will work too
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com