Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 5  (Read 126148 times)

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 5
« Reply #300 on: September 11, 2018, 06:31:08 PM »
For a typically two band gig I use a battery sled with 8 AA rechangables. I use whatever card I have with no issue.  Guess I’m just lucky.

I have also been using the 8 AA sled with Eneloop Pros. Full levels even after a souncheck, opener and main act (two phantom channels and two soundboard channels, plus the mix). And some playback on the train home. I originally bought the 8 battery sled as an interim measure, while I figured out the best powering scheme, but I haven't felt the need to change that up yet. This post from SD may be informative with respect to this, although I think I probably get better run times with the Eneloops...

Offline Paul Isaacs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #301 on: September 12, 2018, 08:10:42 AM »
Well, it’s good to hear that it is a card failure.

However, I personally would rather physically mail the card to someone at Sound Devices (Nelson? Yes, you, Nelson. I’m looking at you) so they could check it out, send you a replacement, and keep track of who you are. Let’s say the card checks out perfectly well. Then maybe it might wind up being your deck (or some third explanation). But if you send it into your dealer and eventually it gets checked out by SD and nothing wrong is found, then how are they going to tell you that?
naw, the card is fucked, it won't be refurbished, it doesn't even read properly every time now.

I left a folder on it, named with my email & phone number and a request for contact, if someone actually looks at the card testing it.
 :help:

My problem now is that I don't know if I can trust the other card I got from the same supplier in the same order!?!

As far as I'm aware, we have not had a single Sound Devices SD card failure - that's not to say it is not possible, after all electronics, like anything else can fail - fact of life.
We'd be very interested to take a look at this card. Please contact Tech Support, mention that I suggested we take a look and they'll advise how to proceed. Many thanks.

Paul Isaacs

Offline Paul Isaacs

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #302 on: September 12, 2018, 08:15:45 AM »
“Sound Devices recorders have been used for Ambisonics field recording for many years, so it was a natural progression for us to bring our MixPre recorders into the new world of VR 360 recording,” said Matt Anderson, CEO of Sound Devices. “We are happy to partner with Sennheiser to provide a high-quality VR recording and monitoring option for our MixPre-6 and MixPre-10T customers.”

Support for the free Ambisonics plugin is a key feature of the MixPre version 3.00 Firmware, a free update being demoed at the show. The highly anticipated version 3.00 also enhances the user experience with all MixPre recorders by supporting full integration with four third-party USB fader controllers: Korg’s NanoKontrol Studio and NanoKontrol2, Novation’s LaunchControlXL, and Akai’s Midimix. The new firmware also introduces wireless remote transport control and monitoring of MixPre M models from iOS or Android mobile devices via the Wingman app.

Well, that is stupid.  Why not just make the transport control device wide instead of just the M models?  How long have we been asking for more features in the Wingman app?

Not stupid. The Classic MixPre models (non-M models) already have this functionality. v3.00 firmware brings this same bluetooth wireless remote control to the M-models ... for free.

Offline borjam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #303 on: September 12, 2018, 09:27:45 AM »
My problem now is that I don't know if I can trust the other card I got from the same supplier in the same order!?!

As far as I'm aware, we have not had a single Sound Devices SD card failure - that's not to say it is not possible, after all electronics, like anything else can fail - fact of life.
We'd be very interested to take a look at this card. Please contact Tech Support, mention that I suggested we take a look and they'll advise how to proceed. Many thanks.

The problem in this cases is, sometimes dealers won't forward defective units to the manufacturers. 15 years ago I had a really serious situation with a manufacturer of microwave links. Several units failed in sequence. Several months later I learned that the idiot dealer had not sent the broken units to the manufacturer citing "local policy" despite having been told to ship them back to the manufacturer by the fastest means possible.

"Don't worry about the drums. I'm a percussionist, I can play on carton boxes" - Peer Wyboris

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #304 on: September 12, 2018, 09:35:48 AM »
Indeed, this is far from stupid, and makes the (less expensive) "m" series fully appropriate for "what we do."

Any chance the wingman app will eventually be able to change gain? I love it and use it for monitoring, but to change levels, one still needs to user the actual knobs....

“Sound Devices recorders have been used for Ambisonics field recording for many years, so it was a natural progression for us to bring our MixPre recorders into the new world of VR 360 recording,” said Matt Anderson, CEO of Sound Devices. “We are happy to partner with Sennheiser to provide a high-quality VR recording and monitoring option for our MixPre-6 and MixPre-10T customers.”

Support for the free Ambisonics plugin is a key feature of the MixPre version 3.00 Firmware, a free update being demoed at the show. The highly anticipated version 3.00 also enhances the user experience with all MixPre recorders by supporting full integration with four third-party USB fader controllers: Korg’s NanoKontrol Studio and NanoKontrol2, Novation’s LaunchControlXL, and Akai’s Midimix. The new firmware also introduces wireless remote transport control and monitoring of MixPre M models from iOS or Android mobile devices via the Wingman app.

Well, that is stupid.  Why not just make the transport control device wide instead of just the M models?  How long have we been asking for more features in the Wingman app?

Not stupid. The Classic MixPre models (non-M models) already have this functionality. v3.00 firmware brings this same bluetooth wireless remote control to the M-models ... for free.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #305 on: September 12, 2018, 10:14:25 AM »
Indeed, this is far from stupid, and makes the (less expensive) "m" series fully appropriate for "what we do."

Any chance the wingman app will eventually be able to change gain? I love it and use it for monitoring, but to change levels, one still needs to user the actual knobs....

Sounds like you two missed the point of my post.  Good luck.  I'll go back to lurking
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #306 on: September 12, 2018, 10:20:04 AM »
I guess I don’t understand your post.

You suggested that this wasn’t a platform wide upgrade. But it is.

What were you trying to say?

Sounds like you two missed the point of my post.  Good luck.  I'll go back to lurking
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline relefunt

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
  • kindfulness
    • Milwaukee Taper
« Reply #307 on: September 12, 2018, 12:01:31 PM »
Well, it’s good to hear that it is a card failure.

However, I personally would rather physically mail the card to someone at Sound Devices (Nelson? Yes, you, Nelson. I’m looking at you) so they could check it out, send you a replacement, and keep track of who you are. Let’s say the card checks out perfectly well. Then maybe it might wind up being your deck (or some third explanation). But if you send it into your dealer and eventually it gets checked out by SD and nothing wrong is found, then how are they going to tell you that?
naw, the card is fucked, it won't be refurbished, it doesn't even read properly every time now.

I left a folder on it, named with my email & phone number and a request for contact, if someone actually looks at the card testing it.
 :help:

Paul Isaacs

Thanks Paul. It’s good to hear an actual response from someone within the company and not the type of hanging-around-the-bubbler-chatting type of speculation about lower quality control, entire batches of cards not working, etc etc
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 12:04:52 PM by relefunt »
AKG c414xls, Beyerdynamic MC930, Line Audio CM3 and OM1. Superluxe S502mk2
Sneaky: Church CA11+14, Audiotechnica AT853.
Preamps: Shure FP24, CA9200.
Recorder: Sound Devices MixPre6, Roland R05, Sony M10.
my local taping blog: milwaukeetaper.com

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #308 on: September 13, 2018, 05:59:47 AM »

Paul Isaacs

Too late. Nelson at Sound Devices said to have the retailer replace it. I just got my replacement card in the mail from Location Sound in CA, they have the old hosed card.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #309 on: September 13, 2018, 11:43:59 AM »

Sorry Paul and Noah. I thought that M models already had Wingman functionality and when I saw the term "transport control" I figured it was more than just the simple 'Record' and 'Stop' functions.  I too would like to see more features added to the app, hence me blurting out that something was stupid.  I'll just crawl back over to my corner now.
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #310 on: September 13, 2018, 06:29:29 PM »
It would be neat if you could use the Wingman app to monitor levels, but not allow the app to stop your recording.

Either READ ONLY mode or a lock "switch" would do the trick.

Haha, I just realized that I could have really made use of the Wingman app this summer if I had not been scared that it would stop my recordings! It's a good idea.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 06:31:11 PM by morst »
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline borjam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #311 on: September 15, 2018, 04:20:29 PM »
Some good news from IBC :)

Pre record buffer for the MixPres (5 seconds for the 3 and 6, 10 seconds for the 10T)

Full Ambisonics support with some really good features such as direct conversion to binaural.

Controller support for several fader packs from Novation, Korg and Akai.

https://vimeo.com/290032752

"Don't worry about the drums. I'm a percussionist, I can play on carton boxes" - Peer Wyboris

Offline down2earthlandscaper

• Gear Collector (Slut/Hoarder) and Multiple-Rig Maniac
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #312 on: September 16, 2018, 03:15:30 AM »
It really would be so useful to be able to adjust levels from the Wingman app!
 :alert:# squeaky wheel
Mics: CA-14(cards & omnis) and CA-11(cards & omnis) ; AT853's(cards, hypers, mini shotguns); Busman BSC-1 (cards, hypers, omnis)
Nakamichi CM300's (CP-1,2,3,4) Nakamichi CM700's (cards, omnis)
Tascam PE-120's (cards, omnis) Countryman B2D
DPA 4061's DPA 4022's; DPA 4080; AKG 480 ck61 and ck63; Naiant AKG Active Cables
Preamps: CA-9100; Naiant Tinybox (12v/48v + PIP 8V); Naiant Littlebox;
DPA MPS6030; Sound Device Mix Pre-D
Decks: Mixpre 10T and 6; Roland R-07; Marantz PMD620; Sony PCM M10; Edirol R-4; Zoom H6; Marantz PMD-661; Sound Devices 722

Offline relefunt

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
  • kindfulness
    • Milwaukee Taper
« Reply #313 on: September 16, 2018, 04:26:57 PM »

Pre record buffer for the MixPres (5 seconds for the 3 and 6, 10 seconds for the 10T)

Full Ambisonics support with some really good features such as direct conversion to binaural.

The buffers should really be 3 seconds for the MixPre 3, 6 seconds for the 6, and 10 seconds for the 10. Then people would feel like they are getting a little something extra for buying the next size up. Plus it would be easier to remember. 🤔
AKG c414xls, Beyerdynamic MC930, Line Audio CM3 and OM1. Superluxe S502mk2
Sneaky: Church CA11+14, Audiotechnica AT853.
Preamps: Shure FP24, CA9200.
Recorder: Sound Devices MixPre6, Roland R05, Sony M10.
my local taping blog: milwaukeetaper.com

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #314 on: September 16, 2018, 05:15:32 PM »

The buffers should really be 3 seconds for the MixPre 3, 6 seconds for the 6, and 10 seconds for the 10. Then people would feel like they are getting a little something extra for buying the next size up. Plus it would be easier to remember. 🤔

5 seconds will be great. I often need a couple extra seconds when I'm near the recorder, and not watching it when the band walks on stage.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com