Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Franken-Mod Lowel Half Pole/UN-55 to 8ft tall pole  (Read 3316 times)

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
Franken-Mod Lowel Half Pole/UN-55 to 8ft tall pole
« on: November 29, 2016, 01:53:11 PM »
I've been thinking about this for a while...the marriage of a Lowel half pole and UN-55 stand to create a 8ft pole that collapses down to a small pole. BH had a demo UN-55 on sale so I took a  chance...

Basically remove the top section of the Half pole and the second section of the UN-55...and marry them. Nice small footprint.

I have to say...I'm very impressed with the UN-55 stand. It would do just about everything I want with one set of actives...maybe even two sets. It is a good foot taller than my Manfrotto 501b and much steadier...albeit noticeably heavier.

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline Limit35

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Franken-Mod Lowel Half Pole/UN-55 to 8ft tall pole
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 03:25:33 PM »

I like it!

I have been thinking of doing something along similar lines. Have you tried to half pole on top the UN-55? If so, how stable was it? With my MF6030 it seems a little sketchy, top heavy. I would like to have one stand, extension, and or/base to use in any given situation rather than having a bunch of stands laying around my place.

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 03:53:53 PM »
Have you tried to half pole on top the UN-55? If so, how stable was it?
I'd not put the Half Pole on the top of the UN-55 the top section diameter is a half inch. Would consider putting it on top of my Manfrotto 13ft stand as it is much heavier on the last section.

I would like to have one stand, extension, and or/base to use in any given situation rather than having a bunch of stands laying around my place.
I now have four stands and two poles. The 13ft Manfrotto was my first and only stand for YEARS (starting in '89 with the Dead)...it would do about anything except a seated theatre show that would not allow it to block the aisle...

Madeline isn't as impressed as I am...UN-55 has wider spread on legs and  puts the Microphones at 8ft with ease...the Manfrotto 501b is beside it.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 01:09:12 PM by Hypnocracy »

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 01:52:34 PM »
Are the latches and collars metal or plastic on the un-55?

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 03:15:40 PM »
All collars and latches on Lowel stands and poles that I've seen are metal...they are not indestructible...I have seen bryonsos snap one in a vanilla gorilla moment...but, you can order replacement parts just like you can for the Bogen/Manfrotto line if ever you do break one...just snug them & not tighten as hard as you possibly can...it will hold fine

I was at the Rabbit Hole last night...the closer was a cover of Rage Against the Machine "Wake UP" there were some late 30 something or early 40 year olds that decided it was a good time to relive their Mosh Pit Youth Days...they pushed my 215lb 6'3" son into the UN-55 with Gefell and Milab Actives on top...lucky for me a taper was behind and caught the stand (beer soaked floor caused the gaff tape to release too)...No worse for the wear...

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 04:50:12 PM »
Thanks. 

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 10:58:43 AM »
All collars and latches on Lowel stands and poles that I've seen are metal...they are not indestructible...I have seen bryonsos snap one in a vanilla gorilla moment...but, you can order replacement parts just like you can for the Bogen/Manfrotto line if ever you do break one...just snug them & not tighten as hard as you possibly can...it will hold fine

I was at the Rabbit Hole last night...the closer was a cover of Rage Against the Machine "Wake UP" there were some late 30 something or early 40 year olds that decided it was a good time to relive their Mosh Pit Youth Days...they pushed my 215lb 6'3" son into the UN-55 with Gefell and Milab Actives on top...lucky for me a taper was behind and caught the stand (beer soaked floor caused the gaff tape to release too)...No worse for the wear...

Who was playing last night? You didn't make the KDTU show Friday did you?
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 07:08:36 PM »
Big Something was at the Rabbit Hole Saturday....Funk You opened...there were three of us running...ToneDeaf and one other...

Didn't do anything Friday...

Link to Big Something Set.

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 10:26:51 AM »
Big Something was at the Rabbit Hole Saturday....Funk You opened...there were three of us running...ToneDeaf and one other...

Didn't do anything Friday...

Link to Big Something Set.

Tonedeaf and I ran slightly FOB at Neighborhood Friday. Hate I missed Big Something, was out of town. Owner is going to move Jackalope Jack's over to the Rabbit Hole when they get thrown out of their 7th street location in a couple of months. Hope they don't screw that place up
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com