Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: zoom h2  (Read 142933 times)

Offline micmonster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: zoom h2
« Reply #195 on: January 13, 2008, 10:36:55 AM »
I bought the H2 some weeks ago and really like it, the 4-track-feature is awesome ;D !
But I have a major problem: My band has really small practicing-space (12sqm) and we play loud (not extremly loud!) rockmusic. As far as I use it in 2-track mode and point it away from the drums and in direction to the guitaramps (so that it records only the reflected drums) it is no problem. But when I use it in 4-track-mode or point the mics directly at the drumset (1-2m away) there is some distortion :( .

I wrote Zoom an email and asked for a firmware-based pad. Does anybody know if this is actually possible to implement such a function or is the preamp/ gain completley hardware-based?

When it is senseless to wait for such an update, I'll think about selling the H2 (I'ld miss the 4-track-mode :'( ). Alternatives are the Marantz PMD-620 (I'm not sure if it can handle the volume), the Olympus LS-10 (it's the same with the SPL) or the Sony PCM-D50 (they say the SPL is 120dB, this will definitely be enough; but i is al little big and has no mp3-support)? What would you recommend?

Thanks, micmonster

Offline micmonster

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #196 on: January 15, 2008, 04:44:33 AM »
I got this replay from Zoom:
Unfortunately, it's not possible to implement a -20dB Pad function by firmware updates.
Anyway, we will forward your feedback to the H2 development team for future reference.
What a pitty, I could cry :'( !

Can anybody help with a new recorder (named above)?

Offline micmonster

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #197 on: January 15, 2008, 03:03:33 PM »
No one?

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #198 on: January 15, 2008, 03:19:04 PM »
It does not seem like a recorder issue. Drums are just a great deal louder. Since you mention the 2 track mode is fine, and the other recorders are 2 track recorders, switching to any of them only takes away the flexibility of the 4 track you like, so why give that up.

Is there any control over the 4 track function? Obviously having some balance control would help. Otherwise a large plexiglass screen in front of the drums or some other muting device might help.

I don't know if you can use external mics and still record in the 4 track mode, but if so you could put an attenuator on the external mic that faces the drum.

I hope this helps!
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline micmonster

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #199 on: January 16, 2008, 08:42:56 AM »
It is for sure a recorder problem. I know some drummers that use it and don't have the problem (maybe because the room is bigger, I'm not sure). But there's definitly no way, that it won't distort if you point one of the mics directly to the drums.
4 tracks only with internal mics.
Another guy with a Marantz PMD-620 had no problem recording drums even without the PAD turned on :o ! So it should work.

Zoom told me that the SPL is 115dB - this should be normally enough. Maybe my unit is damaged?

Roving Sign

« Reply #200 on: January 16, 2008, 09:10:12 AM »
It is for sure a recorder problem. I know some drummers that use it and don't have the problem (maybe because the room is bigger, I'm not sure). But there's definitly no way, that it won't distort if you point one of the mics directly to the drums.
Another guy with a Marantz PMD-620 had no problem recording drums even without the PAD turned on :o ! So it should work.

Zoom told me that the SPL is 115dB - this should be normally enough. Maybe my unit is damaged?

What are your exact settings on the H2 when getting distortion? We need to know a little more to diagnose this issue. Can you post a sample or describe the distortion?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 09:12:04 AM by Roving Sign »

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #201 on: January 16, 2008, 10:46:23 AM »

115db max spl ia not enough to record drums close up you need more like 130db Max spl handling abilities in order to record drums close up with out any distortion a snare drum at 3 feet can easily be 114db with out much effort. Cymbals can hit 118 to 120 for short peaks.. So drums are another ball game. I would suggest being at least 10 feet back from a kit if you want to use this thing for recording drums.. That being said not all drummers are loud and nothing is writen in stone.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline micmonster

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #202 on: January 16, 2008, 10:56:02 AM »
There are just 3 possible Gainsettings: Low, Medium, High. I naturally use the low-setting. I don't think, that there's anything to solve :-\ .

I think Church-Audio is right, the drums (in my small room) are (a bit) too loud for the H2, especially the snare (you can often see the H2 clip, when the snare is hit). But I have to say, that I don't really want to use the H2 for close-up-miking ;) .
I would have been so easy, if they installed a PAD.
Maybe I'll try the Marantz.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #203 on: January 16, 2008, 04:19:39 PM »
In another forum a user reported better results in similar circumstances by using a level of something like 80 instead of 100.  Yes, I know that shouldn't work, but the report was that it did.

Offline micmonster

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #204 on: January 17, 2008, 01:39:07 AM »
I think, this other user did not realize that the problems stille exist. As far as I remember I tried it with 75 and it didn't help.

Offline Kevin T

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #205 on: January 18, 2008, 02:10:30 PM »
lots of loud small room H2 experience here. your only option is a
use rear mics only and move as far from drums as possible OR put it in an isolation box.

KevinT

Offline micmonster

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #206 on: January 19, 2008, 08:53:34 AM »
Thank you for clarification. So I should better look out for another recorder...

How does the H2 behave in small to medium concert-locations (rockmusic)?

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #207 on: January 19, 2008, 09:56:01 AM »
I am getting a H2 this week and I will open it up and see if I can do some mods to it like replace the capsules with my own and build a pad for the H2 so it does not overload.

Stay tuned..

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline micmonster

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #208 on: January 19, 2008, 10:51:48 AM »
Cool 8) .
If the PAD won't be to complicated to install, I'll try this.
Looking forward for your documentation!!!

Offline seabrook

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: Recording H2 @ high SPL levels
« Reply #209 on: January 19, 2008, 05:56:59 PM »
This subject is already being scrutinized in the following thread:

http://www.2090.org/zoom/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=9945

It appears that it helps setting the mic sensitivity to 'L' along with the setting the rec levels to between 70 and 85.  Let us know if it helps you.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com