Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DIY basket style windscreens - AKA ghetto Rycotes  (Read 10555 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
DIY basket style windscreens - AKA ghetto Rycotes
« on: March 12, 2008, 08:13:47 PM »
Rycote style dead airspace wind baskets on the cheap?

Knocked together these baskets for Langerado.  The support structure is a snap together 'plastic canvas' embroidery ball for making needle point Christmas tree ornament balls I guess.  I cut two circles of some woman's nylon hose material to cover them and used a small binder clip to secure the stretched fabric.  I didn't plan on using them, but the wind was so strong that I added the baskets over the big foams as you see in the pics.  Ideally I'd suspend the mic in the basket without the foam windscreen for better sonic transparency while still killing the wind with the dead airspace around the mic.  Fake fur would be the obvious next line of defence.  Wondering about the most sonically transparent non-fur covering material.  What's on the real deal Rycote blimps?

I may cut out every other plastic intersection to make the holes in the plastic canvas bigger to block less sound entry / diffract less.  The plastic structure should support the fabric just as well.

The plastic balls are 2-3/4" interior diameter, so they should fit 'compact' style or active mics.  The 1-3/4" foam baffle balls I was experimenting with on the 4060's allow a nice 1/2" air gap all around the ball (in this case that was taken up by the foam screen).
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

Re: DIY basket style windscreens - AKA ghetto Rycotes
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 08:15:39 PM »
Application of the stocking nylon-
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 08:21:40 PM »
Found these plastic hair curler forms at the dollar store.  They could work for small diameter 'pencil' mics and reduce the outlay from about $10 per pair for the balls, nylon and clips, to about $3 per pair ($1 for nylons, $1 for curlers, $1 for clips and rubber bands).  I splurged and spent $2 for a pack of both the small and large size. ;D

Pink curlers for your mics, anyone?  :P

[edit- the black ones on my hand are probably a bit small for most mics, but I was making these for my 4060's so I don't need much space]
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 08:24:22 PM by Gutbucket »

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 08:25:25 PM »
"Are those mics up there?"

"No, I just didn't have time to take out my curlers."

:P
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline KLowe

• Trade Count: (5)
  • CrossFit....check you ego at the door
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 08:31:44 PM »
I saw Lee's rig at Langerado.....as a purveyor of ghetto-ness myself...I gotta say.  Great idea and nice looking also.

Plus T for innovation and general ghettoness

k
I actually work for a living with music, instead of you jerk offs who wish they did.

bwaaaahahahahahaha.... that is awesome!

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 08:37:34 PM »
Thanks Mike & Kevin.  Approval from fellow dollar store, garage builders means alot!  I'll post pics in another thread of the whole 'bug eye' rig I flew at Langerado in a bit.

Check out this HRTF multi-mic array!   ;D

To recreate something for normal sized mics, I'd think you could use the ordinary plastic canvas sheet material to form a cylinder and using the half spheres as end caps, make a true blimp. 

Offline dean

• Akustische u. Kino-Geräte!!!!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • The Dude abides...
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 08:41:36 PM »
+T!!!

Lovin' that multi mic array, too!!!  LMAO!
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deanlambrecht

Offline KLowe

• Trade Count: (5)
  • CrossFit....check you ego at the door
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 08:43:49 PM »
that chick has the stealthiest surround sound mic system around....she was definintly waaaaaay ahead her time.

What are teh chances of me asking my wife to do all the stealthing now with the curlers left in???  :hmmm:

my grandma would be the ULTIMATE surround sound stealther.  She rocks the curlers w/ mad skillzzzz
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 08:45:26 PM by KLowe »
I actually work for a living with music, instead of you jerk offs who wish they did.

bwaaaahahahahahaha.... that is awesome!

Offline digifish_music

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 12:08:59 AM »
Rycote style dead airspace wind baskets on the cheap?

+T nice work.

I am a little confused however, you seem to have put the basket over an existing foam windscreen? I would expect the mic to go inside the basket 'naked' then the ball then the stocking cover + faux fur?

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 12:19:11 AM »

+T nice work.

I am a little confused however, you seem to have put the basket over an existing foam windscreen? I would expect the mic to go inside the basket 'naked' then the ball then the stocking cover + faux fur?

digifish

Yes, you are right, that's exactly the idea.  I just put them over the foams because the wind was getting through the foam and I hadn't yet devised a method to suspend the mic inside the basket (or suspend the basket around the mic), so leaving the foam on did that, with what I had out in the field.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 12:24:00 AM »
Here's a link to the thread with photos explaining the full 'Bug Eye' rig that I use these things on-
Oddball mic techiques that worked - evolution to 'Bug Eye' rig

Offline digifish_music

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 05:15:02 AM »
Here's a link to the thread with photos explaining the full 'Bug Eye' rig that I use these things on-
Oddball mic techiques that worked - evolution to 'Bug Eye' rig

That's an awesome looking rig  ;D

Great write-up.

Makes me think of a rig based on an umbrella frame and music stand base...thinking  ::)

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2008, 08:30:20 AM »

...Makes me think of a rig based on an umbrella frame and music stand base...thinking  ::)

digifish

While I was putting that together I was listening to the DPA surround demo disc they sent in the mail- 5 spaced sub cards and a telescopic 5 armed surround tree mount with integral wires.  Sounds gorgeous and costs as much as a small car.  I figured if this thing works and if I ever move on to recording in surround, an umbrella frame could work niclely for these small mics.  Pop it open and go.

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2008, 09:57:24 AM »
I figured if this thing works and if I ever move on to recording in surround, an umbrella frame could work niclely for these small mics.  Pop it open and go.

That is a really cool idea.   Your have rockin ideas!   :)
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2008, 05:37:48 PM »
Reminds me of the old Popular Science "Wordless Workshop" and the very early days of Popular Electronics when shit was made from all sorts of ordinary materials.  Like a speaker cabinet out of Cel-O-Tex with an octagonal speaker hole on the assumption you had a saw but no 10.5" hole cutter.  Great stuff and great thinking.  And I thought al you could devise was wonderful earphones.
Nov schmoz kapop.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com