Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Newbie curious about feedback from Nokia 808 recordings (soundcloud samps)  (Read 2402 times)

Offline MikeyLNG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
I've been to a few gigs this year, and the last 2 (or technically 3 as 2+3 were the same band playing 2 gigs in 2 consecutive days) I decided to use my Nokia 808 to try and record the entire show and see what kind of quality I could get. I did a bit of digging in the forums beforehand, and I read that you often have to make sacrifices and get away from the front barriers to get the best audio quality. Personally I always do the opposite ;D and try and get as close to the front as possible, so I'm curious how you "pros" think these recordings stack up against recordings made with much better equipment.

I use an app which has a few options, but I set it to record 16 bit PCM WAVs at 96khz (3072 kbps), and then when I get home I'll play with an equalizer to reign in the bass and try and bring out the vocals a bit more. Please note that I don't have a clue about audio engineering, and these edits are done pretty quick, so you guys would probably be able to get much better results from the original files.

I have 3 samples. This first one was my very first show recording. I was in the second row from the barriers. My 808 wasn't in an ideal position by any means, as not having the barrier to lean on (and not wanting to hold my arm up for 1+ hours) meant I had to settle for holding my phone near jeans pocket level.

This is the raw audio straight from the phone.
This is after running it through an EQ.

This second recording is another gig where I was right up at the front.

Raw audio at barriers.
EQ'ed at barriers.

Finally, this is the second night of the above band, but I decided to stand at the very back where the sound board was.

Raw audio at soundboard
EQ'ed at soundboard

So any feedback would be appreciated.

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Newbie curious about feedback from Nokia 808 recordings (soundcloud samps)
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 11:29:32 AM »
Sound like you were behind the stage in all of them,or the mic is buried in your pocket.

Get a Sony M10 and some mics for christmas. ;D

Offline down2earthlandscaper

• Gear Collector (Slut/Hoarder) and Multiple-Rig Maniac
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 12:11:36 PM »
Sound like you were behind the stage in all of them,or the mic is buried in your pocket.

Get a Sony M10 and some mics for christmas. ;D

;D ;D ;D
Mics: CA-14(cards & omnis) and CA-11(cards & omnis) ; AT853's(cards, hypers, mini shotguns); Busman BSC-1 (cards, hypers, omnis)
Nakamichi CM300's (CP-1,2,3,4) Nakamichi CM700's (cards, omnis)
Tascam PE-120's (cards, omnis) Countryman B2D
DPA 4061's DPA 4022's; DPA 4080; AKG 480 ck61 and ck63; Naiant AKG Active Cables
Preamps: CA-9100; Naiant Tinybox (12v/48v + PIP 8V); Naiant Littlebox;
DPA MPS6030; Sound Device Mix Pre-D
Decks: Mixpre 10T and 6; Roland R-07; Marantz PMD620; Sony PCM M10; Edirol R-4; Zoom H6; Marantz PMD-661; Sound Devices 722

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 12:16:35 PM »
The ones from the front have pretty much the same submerged quality as the one at the back so that useful experiment suggests you're not going to get much out of this system. 

You could do far better with some inexpensive but good mics and a dedicated recorder.  You'd be surprised how much better... 

I'm assuming cost is a factor.  Sounds like you do loud rock so at a minimum get some Church Audio CA-14s and a CA Ugly battery box (less than $200 on the sales he runs here on this board and perhaps less if anyone is selling a set used) and a Tascam DR-05 ($60-ish) or another inexpensive recorder (those aren't my first choice but if money is an object they will do the job).  That might be $260 or so total, all in for all that.  It's hard to do much at this sort of show for less.  There are also Sound Professionals mic options but those probably run a bit more. 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline bombdiggity

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 12:31:13 PM »
^ You could also just do it better and buy this:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=175761.msg0

You don't necessarily need a pre-amp as opposed to a battery box but the preamp is better.  You could decide whether you want to use the cards or the omnis (cards better back in the room, omnis may be better close to the barricades). 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 12:36:28 PM »
What bombdiggity said.

I'd also add that the best mics & preamp & recorder in the world aren't going to sound good if the sound in the venue and the sound from the position in which you're making the recording don't sound good.  Of the factors we as tapers can control, location and mic positioning make a tremendous difference.

For example, you indicated your first sample was with the recorder around hip-high.  Next time you're at a show, squat down so your ears are hip-high -- you'll find it simply does not sound very good relative to standing at full height.

And a note on EQ:  first learn to make the best possible recordings with the gear you have and scenarios in which you record, and recognize the inherent limitations of most audience recordings.  Then, if you're still not satisfied, spend a lot of time learning how to EQ.  Not everyone is good at it.  (I stink.)  It's far easier to screw up a recording with EQ than fix it.

Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline bombdiggity

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2015, 12:57:26 PM »
I missed the position piece of this.  What Brian said... 

Clip on mics such as I've suggested have the benefit that you can clip them to your collar or to a hat and get them up and pointed where you'll capture direct sound.  That will help immensely. 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com