Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 audio recorder - NEW  (Read 173280 times)

Offline dbxp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Sony PCM-M10 audio recorder - NEW
« Reply #165 on: October 22, 2009, 12:45:21 AM »
If indeed the preamp is bypassed, the line-in contributes very little to the noise floor. Typical post line-in amps do have much higher EIN than the preamps. However, due to limited gain from this point on, it will not show up much in the final output at all.

Searching for "cascaded noise figures" should come up with many nice tutorials on this.

I'm wondering about any comparisons out there of PCM-M10 versus Olympus LS-11?

Offline mloewen

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #166 on: October 24, 2009, 02:00:25 PM »
My pcm-m10 has a small glich.
When I first got it displayed the elapsed recording time or how much was left while it was recording  (I forget which).
Now it  displays the date. the time remaining is displayed small under the battery indicator.

It still records fine. I was wondering if this happen to anyone else?
I am wondering if it is a software problem that could be fixed with a down load. I will check with support before I return it.

Like I said it works but it is reassuring to glance and see the numbers changing when recording.
Mark

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #167 on: October 24, 2009, 03:04:10 PM »
When I first got it displayed the elapsed recording time or how much was left while it was recording  (I forget which).
Now it  displays the date. the time remaining is displayed small under the battery indicator.

I am wondering if it is a software problem that could be fixed with a down load. I will check with support before I return it.

Like I said it works but it is reassuring to glance and see the numbers changing when recording.
Mark

Did you try pressing the "DISPLAY" button? (It's on the right, directly below the display itself.)

Repeated pressings will cycle through a number of different time indication choices. (page 113 of the manual)

You may have pressed it inadvertently.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Whats next?
« Reply #168 on: October 24, 2009, 03:17:54 PM »
Just used mine last night for a show and really like the way it operates, it was a open show but i can see it will now be great for "not so open" gigs as well

Offline mloewen

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #169 on: October 24, 2009, 03:56:48 PM »

Mark

Did you try pressing the "DISPLAY" button? (It's on the right, directly below the display itself.)

Repeated pressings will cycle through a number of different time indication choices. (page 113 of the manual)

You may have pressed it inadvertently.

Thanks Dogmusic
I cant believe I missed that...Duh

Offline Falconidave

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection Member
  • "I went to too many concerts" said no one ever!
« Reply #170 on: October 25, 2009, 12:55:52 AM »
Okay, just ordered mine from Sweetwater.  Should be in my hands by Weds.  I'm excited about his recorder and hopeful it will be comparable to my D50 in a compact size.  I love being able to use the "mic in" to power my mics, and avoid using a pre-amp, and get excellent results.  Anybody aware of any micro card issues?  Which are preferred, any deals on 16GB sizes?
Mics: Schoeps MK41; AT853(3-wire)(c,o); AT943(3-wire)(c,o); AT933(3-wire)(c,o); Shure 185(c); Sony ECM-166BMP (o); Sony ECM-166BC (c).
Interconnects: NBob Actives
Preamps: BabyNbox v2
Recorders: Sony PCM-A10(2); Sony PCM-M10; Edirol R-09HR; Sony MZ-RH1
Video: Panasonic HDC-TM700 HD; Panasonic Lumix GX85; Panasonic Lumix DMC ZS100; Canon PowerShot SX50 HD; Sony DSC-HX50V

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #171 on: October 25, 2009, 08:49:02 AM »
Analysis of the sample posted -

Left   Right
Min Sample Value:   -3   -3
Max Sample Value:   6   6
Peak Amplitude:   -76.32 dB   -76.32 dB
Possibly Clipped:   0   0
DC Offset:   .003    .003
Minimum RMS Power:   -91.02 dB   -90.88 dB
Maximum RMS Power:   -90.01 dB   -89.9 dB
Average RMS Power:   -90.5 dB   -90.42 dB
Total RMS Power:   -90.49 dB   -90.41 dB
Actual Bit Depth:   16 Bits   16 Bits

Using RMS Window of 50 ms

Seems respectable to me off the top of my head - in line with expectations, though the testing method may be incorrect.

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #172 on: October 25, 2009, 06:53:39 PM »
Anyone have an M10 they can do without for a couple weeks to send to GuySonic for testing?

He's done great tests on decks in the past, measuring mic & line input noise levels, mic plug-in-power voltages, and other useful things.

I've been in touch with him and he would love to run some tests on this new deck, but I'll be needing mine for the next couple weeks.  If I didn't, I would send it to him.

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #173 on: October 25, 2009, 06:57:40 PM »
Anyone have an M10 they can do without for a couple weeks to send to GuySonic for testing?

He's done great tests on decks in the past, measuring mic & line input noise levels, mic plug-in-power voltages, and other useful things.

I've been in touch with him and he would love to run some tests on this new deck, but I'll be needing mine for the next couple weeks.  If I didn't, I would send it to him.
I'd like to hear tests too, but I'm in love with mine.  Cannot give it up.  I'm still using the same set of batteries.  The powersave on this thing is incredible!

Maybe someone would send a D50 to him.  You know, after they upgrade to the M10 :).

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline kfrinkle

• Karl Frinkle Dot Net
« Reply #174 on: October 25, 2009, 07:10:48 PM »
Average price on this little nugget of yumminess?
-Karl
MBHO KA200n's > Naiant Tinybox (v2.1) > Sony PCM-M10
http://tooldriveproject.net

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • it's recreational
« Reply #175 on: October 25, 2009, 07:20:43 PM »
3 bills.

Offline Falconidave

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection Member
  • "I went to too many concerts" said no one ever!
« Reply #176 on: October 25, 2009, 08:03:56 PM »

I'd like to hear tests too, but I'm in love with mine.  Cannot give it up.  I'm still using the same set of batteries.  The powersave on this thing is incredible!

Maybe someone would send a D50 to him.  You know, after they upgrade to the M10 :).

Richard

You really consider it an "upgrade" over the D50 Richard?  That's awesome!  Mine should be here Weds.  I think I'll break it in on Monte Montgomery and then a mellow Rik Emmett acoustic show coming up next month.

David
Mics: Schoeps MK41; AT853(3-wire)(c,o); AT943(3-wire)(c,o); AT933(3-wire)(c,o); Shure 185(c); Sony ECM-166BMP (o); Sony ECM-166BC (c).
Interconnects: NBob Actives
Preamps: BabyNbox v2
Recorders: Sony PCM-A10(2); Sony PCM-M10; Edirol R-09HR; Sony MZ-RH1
Video: Panasonic HDC-TM700 HD; Panasonic Lumix GX85; Panasonic Lumix DMC ZS100; Canon PowerShot SX50 HD; Sony DSC-HX50V

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #177 on: October 25, 2009, 08:31:12 PM »
I still think this is a budget D50 missing some bells and whistles. 
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #178 on: October 25, 2009, 09:46:53 PM »

It's alright. We can wait two weeks.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #179 on: October 25, 2009, 11:00:31 PM »
I still think this is a budget D50 missing some bells and whistles.
Yes, that is what I'm saying.  It seems pretty much the same, less the Cardioid mics and the Digital in.  But I never used these.  So, it is the best recorder for me...

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.097 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com