Gear / Technical Help > Ask The Tapers

Stealth recording and metal detectors

(1/4) > >>

bonghitwillie:
I know no one wants to talk about this but i had an interesting situation recently. i don't go to many big indoor shows anymore. i went to one recently where they were wanding people. i had an edirol r9, core batt box and dpa 4061s. i knew the core box would probably trigger the wand so i had it in my hand. i had the mics in a ziplock in one pocket with keys and the r9 in another pocket with a flip phone. the keys and flip phone set it off, i took them out. the wand kept going off. turns out the dpa mics and the r9 triggered it. one by one i pulled everything out and kept them in my hands. the guard didn't notice so i got everything in. my profession requires me to go thru metal detectors and wands all the time. i usually leave everything in pockets just to see what sets these things off. sometimes nothing goes off and sometimes it does. good thing most shows i go to i can bring in and do what i want. but i might have to rethink big shows.

lsd2525:
Those things can be nutty. I had a toothbrush set a wand off one time (don't ask)

achalsey:
I could just look this up myself, but am not going to...SO, can't they calibrate how sensitive they want the wands/detectors to be?  Or do you have to buy different wands for more invasive searches?

I don't stealth, but through airports and things I usually take off/out of my pockets the absolute bare minimum since most of the time these things aren't that sensitive.

jagraham:

--- Quote from: achalsey on February 08, 2018, 08:25:29 PM ---can't they calibrate how sensitive they want the wands/detectors to be?

--- End quote ---

Yes, sometimes they will go off over nothing, sometimes you could have a large metal object and they won't detect it. Furthermore, sometimes the people running them don't know what they are doing with them. Sometimes the operators are getting paid $8/hr and simply wave them up and down people moving through the line and do nothing as they go off. Basically, you just never know if they will sound or not.

opsopcopolis:
My chapstick set one off back in May. Was the weirdest thing. Tried twice, took it out, tried again, was fine

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version