Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-100mkIII NEW Unreleased Recorder  (Read 114943 times)

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: TASCAM DR-100mkIII NEW Unreleased Recorder
« Reply #210 on: August 05, 2018, 08:18:10 AM »
I just noticed there's a firmware update for the DR100mk3 (FW v.1.05) from last February:

http://tascam.com/product/DR-100mkIII/downloads/
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline rogs

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #211 on: August 07, 2018, 05:45:24 AM »
Thanks for the heads up on this...I'd missed that.. I obviously need to check the Tascam website more often!

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #212 on: August 07, 2018, 08:20:15 AM »
Thanks for the heads up on this...I'd missed that.. I obviously need to check the Tascam website more often!

Me too!
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

jcable77

« Reply #213 on: August 07, 2018, 08:30:05 AM »
Thank you.

jcable77

« Reply #214 on: August 07, 2018, 05:22:06 PM »
Dumb ass question but what sequence of buttons is it to get it into update mode, I forgot from last time I updated firmware and its not in the manual. Thanks

Online jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #215 on: August 07, 2018, 05:30:04 PM »
Should be in the firmware instructions!!

Dumb ass question but what sequence of buttons is it to get it into update mode, I forgot from last time I updated firmware and its not in the manual. Thanks
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

jcable77

« Reply #216 on: August 07, 2018, 05:32:29 PM »

It isnt. Nor is it in the manual, unless i overlooked it.

jcable77

« Reply #217 on: August 07, 2018, 05:33:30 PM »

Oops. Just found it.

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #218 on: August 10, 2018, 11:50:14 AM »

Oops. Just found it.

There you go!

Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline MVCG-17002

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #219 on: October 19, 2018, 04:22:27 PM »
So  I got a DR-100III and pair of DPA 4061s with DAD6001s Reddot to XLR connectors. I want to record some Rock/Grunge/Metall shows, so it will be pretty loud...
What would be the best settings to do that?

Pad seems to be a good idea.
Limiter aswell.
Dual ADC cannot be used with the limiter.
Dual level recording also seems to be a good idea, but it cannot be used when dual ADC is used. Using dual level with the limiter should work though (the limiter only affects the louder signal).

Should I use the low cut filter? Options are Off/40/80/120/220Hz...

So what would you say is the best combination of settings for a loud stealth show, where checking levels is not possible at all times...

thanks
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 04:39:48 PM by MVCG-17002 »

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #220 on: October 21, 2018, 09:39:43 AM »
So  I got a DR-100III and pair of DPA 4061s with DAD6001s Reddot to XLR connectors. I want to record some Rock/Grunge/Metall shows, so it will be pretty loud...
What would be the best settings to do that?

You have a superb recorder and awesome mics!

Pad seems to be a good idea.
Yep. Not only a good idea: it's something you need to do.

Limiter aswell.
Nope. You don't want that, trust me.

Dual ADC cannot be used with the limiter.

What I've just said. Do use Dual ADC, sir

Dual level recording also seems to be a good idea, but it cannot be used when dual ADC is used. Using dual level with the limiter should work though (the limiter only affects the louder signal).

Should I use the low cut filter? Options are Off/40/80/120/220Hz...

I wouldn't go that way. In my experience you can always remove undesirable bass on post.

So what would you say is the best combination of settings for a loud stealth show, where checking levels is not possible at all times...
Look, the DR-100mkiii is not exactly small. It's not huge, but it's far from easy to hide. Add to that the big XLR connectors  :o. I'm no DPA expert, but if I were you, I would buy an adapter (DPA has a wide variety of adapters) terminated with a right angle plug to use the Ext In (either Line or Mic) . Well, stealth or not you need to check the levels. But as a really (really!) basic guide, if you're runnning Line In, be ready to set your recording levels up to 9 or 10 (12 being the highest level) even for really loud shows. But if you're using Ext Mic (even with the Mic Pad engaged) I doubt you're going to exceed recording levels greater than 7 or 8 (28 is the maximum).

thanks

You're welcome
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 10:19:55 AM by Dede2002 »

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline junkyardt

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #221 on: October 21, 2018, 11:02:40 AM »
yeah, i’m not sure why you chose the dr-100mkiii if hardcore stealth is your thing. i had a dr-100mkii and ended up selling it because it was too big and bulky for that purpose. i would highly recommend what the other guy said by getting some sort of option that allows your dpas to terminate in a 1/8” plug, and then sell your dr-100mkiii and get a roland r-07 instead. the r-07 is much smaller and it also takes care of your concern about checking levels, because the r-07 has a companion phone app that lets you start and stop recordings and set levels all from the app without ever touching the recorder itself. this is something you can’t do with the tascam.

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #222 on: October 21, 2018, 12:56:19 PM »
yeah, i’m not sure why you chose the dr-100mkiii if hardcore stealth is your thing. i had a dr-100mkii and ended up selling it because it was too big and bulky for that purpose. i would highly recommend what the other guy said by getting some sort of option that allows your dpas to terminate in a 1/8” plug, and then sell your dr-100mkiii and get a roland r-07 instead. the r-07 is much smaller and it also takes care of your concern about checking levels, because the r-07 has a companion phone app that lets you start and stop recordings and set levels all from the app without ever touching the recorder itself. this is something you can’t do with the tascam.

I confess that I thought about selling my DR-mkIII because of its size. But I love the feel and performance of this recorder. I've never used the Roland R-07. But as an Edirol R 09 and R 09HR user I'm sure that your recommendation is spot on. In this category I would also recommend the Marantz PMD 620. Impressive little machine. Take care.

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #223 on: October 21, 2018, 01:15:00 PM »
It's a tradeoff, but I'll trade off the larger size of stealthing with the tascam for gaining the security of the XLR connection between the mics and the recorder. The unit fits in the front pocket of baggy cargo shorts or the front pocket of most hoodies, you just need to set the levels conservatively and sneak a peak or two during a loud passage when the show begins, then set and forget the levels.

Offline junkyardt

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #224 on: October 21, 2018, 02:29:30 PM »
yeah, i don’t want to imply i’m crapping on the tascam at all. i owned the dr-100mkii for about a year from july 2017 to july 2018 or so, and made a number of great recordings with it in that time. i’m sure the mkiii is even better. once i got a mixpre-6 a few months ago i no longer needed the tascam for open or light stealth situations, and found it too big to be comfortable crotching for heavy stealth situations. thus it was kind of caught in a no-mans land middle ground for me where it would just collect dust, so i sold it and put the $ toward an r-07. the tiny size makes the r-07 great for crotching and the ability to be fiddling with it from your phone without ever touching the unit itself is great for situations where you have a security guard staring at you all night. but yeah, if you don’t mind the extra bulk, the dr-100 is a great unit, and the xlr inputs are a nice feature.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.11 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com