Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: soundforge pro file exceeds 2g  (Read 2039 times)

Offline ButchAlmberg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
soundforge pro file exceeds 2g
« on: October 25, 2015, 06:38:59 PM »
What do I do to save a .wav file in soundforge pro if the file exceeds 2 gig? I get an error message that states it has exceeded the max size allowed for this format.I'm a mac guy and I'm guessing this is a restraint with wmp??
Line Audio CM-3, CM-4, Lewitt
Sound Devices MixPre-6 II |  Tascam DR-70D

Team Line Audio

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: soundforge pro file exceeds 2g
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 06:45:26 PM »
Well in Sony Vegas there is an internal preference setting to allow wav files up to 4gb,beyond that you must render to W64.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 12:22:03 PM by beatkilla »

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 10:35:29 PM »
I have pasted together 2gb pieces and saved larger files in soundforge on windows.

Offline ButchAlmberg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 03:24:52 PM »
I was able to create a file that exceeded 2g but couldn't save or export it. What I was able to do was a 'save as', which provides a number of choices including FLAC.
Line Audio CM-3, CM-4, Lewitt
Sound Devices MixPre-6 II |  Tascam DR-70D

Team Line Audio

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 06:03:33 PM »
It is undoubtedly some sort of subtle formatting issue, to which the mac element or perhaps your version of SoundForge may contribute. 

Certain formats are limited to 2 GB in size.  FAT16 is limited to 2GB, thus the recorders nearly all of us use produce files that stop at 2 GB.   

There are several different varieties of WAV formats.  I thought some of those may also have a 2 GB limit, but it could be the program dependent rather than due to variants in WAV.  Per our friend wikipedia "The WAV format is limited to files that are less than 4 GB, because of its use of a 32-bit unsigned integer to record the file size header some programs limit the file size to 2 GB. Although this is equivalent to about 6.8 hours of CD-quality audio (44.1 kHz, 16-bit stereo), it is sometimes necessary to exceed this limit, especially when greater sampling rates, bit resolutions or channel count are required. The W64 format was therefore created for use in Sound Forge. Its 64-bit header allows for much longer recording times." 

It doesn't sound like it's an issue of your target drive's formatting since it seems you can save larger than 2 GB files in other formats?  You could not for example save a file larger than 2 GB to a FAT formatted flash card since that format poses a 2 GB limit.  NTFS (the more common Windows disk format) is limited to 4GB. 

Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.313 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com