Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: for board/mic mixes, 4 track recorder or 2 M-10?  (Read 10765 times)

Offline icebox

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
for board/mic mixes, 4 track recorder or 2 M-10?
« on: September 04, 2016, 07:54:43 AM »
So I have a Sony M-10 now and CA-14 mics right now that I use to record rock shows, but I'd like to add the capability to record from the board as well as mics and mix afterwards.  Would I be better off with a 4 track recorder such as the R-44, or 70D or just get a second M-10 while they still can be had and use 2 machines for the process.  Seems like that's a bit kludgy but would work.   
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 07:57:22 AM by icebox »

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: for board/mic mixes, 4 track recorder or 2 M-10?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 08:50:34 AM »
Just get the 70D.  It is less expensive than another M10 and you won't have the issue of having to sync two separate recordings in post. 
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201, um70S; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, CMBI (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh30, mkh40, md421, md431, md541; audix m1290
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia TD-1 and HV-32P, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, grace V2, DAV BG1
Cables: KCY, CMR, Naiant AKG actives, PFAs, asst.  GAKables and Darktrain
Recorders/converters/monitors: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, zoom f8 & F8n pro, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8, Neumann KH20

Yeah, I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job

Offline jagraham

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 08:59:50 AM »
^ Yeah get the 70D. It's great to not have to line up the sources after, and you will have to even with the same recorder. The only thing is that the 70D is bigger, so if you plan on any stealth it won't work for that.
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

Offline icebox

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2016, 09:17:26 AM »
I'm not planning on using this for stealth, it'll only be for open recording.  But can the CA14 be used with the 70D simply?  I will not have money to get different mics for a while, but I expect to have an opportunity to use a 4 track recorder before the end of the month.  I thought I saw something that said that the cam/Mic in port volume can't be adjusted while recording? 
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 09:20:33 AM by icebox »

Offline nolamule

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection Member
  • where's my mule?
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2016, 09:35:43 AM »
I would take a look at the R-44 if you have the extra coin. They are rock solid recorders and have recently been popping up on eBay for $400-500. As the others have mentioned time syncing sbd and audio tracks in post from two different sources is a major PIA.

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2016, 09:42:42 AM »
I'm not planning on using this for stealth, it'll only be for open recording.  But can the CA14 be used with the 70D simply?  I will not have money to get different mics for a while, but I expect to have an opportunity to use a 4 track recorder before the end of the month.  I thought I saw something that said that the cam/Mic in port volume can't be adjusted while recording?

I think that refers to issues with the camera pass through audio - the 70D has knobs for input level control.

Assuming you have some sort of battery box or preamp with the CA mics - you'll want to use the 1/8 input @ EXT IN 1/2

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2016, 09:48:30 AM »
While a four-track recorder will obviously save you time in aligning sources in post, I wouldn't necessarily rule out using two M10s. Separate recorders give you flexibility in terms of placement, without having to worry about running cables all over — plus, you then have a backup recorder for simple two-track situations.

Of course, this depends on how much of a PITA you find adjusting pitch/tempo to be. It's absolutely true that even two otherwise identical M10s will run at slightly different speeds.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2016, 01:30:22 PM »
The 1\8 input mic input is adjustable with no problem on the 70d except that there are separate gain controls for each mic.  The 60d has a ganged control for the 1\8 input on it so it is a bit easier to use when inputting a stereo signal.  The 60d was on sale for about $129 a month or so ago.  But the 70d is certainly a good option if you use an approved card in it.

Offline icebox

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2016, 05:56:28 PM »
the CA 14 has a 1/8 stereo connector.  Will the 1/8 connector give me two channels, or is it going to compress that stereo signal in to one channel?

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2016, 06:11:07 PM »
the CA 14 has a 1/8 stereo connector.  Will the 1/8 connector give me two channels, or is it going to compress that stereo signal in to one channel?

You will get two channels.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline icebox

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2016, 01:25:23 AM »
OK Thanks all, looks like the 70D, with all its warts, will be the way to go.

Offline pdastoor

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2016, 05:24:37 PM »
70d is good and all but what happens if something goes wrong with your 70d? With 2 PCM-M10s, if one of them fails, you will atleast have the other running. I also carry a backup recorder just in case. Yesterday I had trouble with something and I figured out it was a cable, thank god I had a spare cable or else I would be screwed! Always carry extra everything, battery, cable, sd card, mic, recorder etc

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2016, 09:17:00 PM »
70d is good and all but what happens if something goes wrong with your 70d? With 2 PCM-M10s, if one of them fails, you will atleast have the other running...

If the 70D fails he still has the M10!

If the 70D fails so bad that it takes out the M10 - he probably has bigger problems!!

Offline yltfan

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2016, 01:24:48 AM »
Tascam Dr-680 would give you some extra channels in case you want to run a pair of mics on stage. And you can get them cheap these days.
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2016, 04:03:21 PM »
If the OP just needs 4 channels, the 70d is a respectable choice and it can be easily powered  for hours with commonly available and inexpensive 5v external cell phone batteries.

680 is still a contender if more than 4 channels are needed. 

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2016, 05:20:56 PM »
Or how about taking the new Zoom F4 plunge, if you have $650 available? Seems pretty kickass! And you have the ability to run 6 channels total[4x XLR INS + 1/8" Mini IN]. However, the F4 has the same pres as the F8, and I think the 70D preamps sound just as good/better as the F8 pres, so if you don't have $600[for a 701D] or $650[for a Zoom F4], the 70D is a great choice IMO! I have [2] 70D's now and I don't see myself switching decks around anytime soon ;)

So basically, if you want 4 channels and don't have a lot of $$, then Id get a 70D and approved SD card and be done with it! If you need 6+ channels, then look for a used Tascam DR-680mki. Someone just offered me a used 680mki for only $200!!! That's cheaper than a 70D ;D

And I ran an M10 as "backup" to my VMS02IB->70D for OVER a year, and NEVER needed to use my M10 backup, so I scratched the M10 and traded it for a 2nd 70D ;D Never looked back and now I have all balanced/locking XLR connectors, and TWO decks with 48v Phantom! I'm glad to be done with 1/8" Mini cables/connectors and back to all XLRs :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2016, 11:56:34 AM »
FWIW to my ears when people line up 2 different sources and match them, as in a SBD and an AUD using 2 unlinked decks, you can always hear some reverb and issues from the alignment. It is never a perfect match. It may not bother most people, but I find it to be less than desireable. I would go with a 4 channel deck every time. After all, that is what the deck was designed to do.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2016, 12:22:25 PM »
While a four-track recorder will obviously save you time in aligning sources in post, I wouldn't necessarily rule out using two M10s. Separate recorders give you flexibility in terms of placement, without having to worry about running cables all over — plus, you then have a backup recorder for simple two-track situations.

Of course, this depends on how much of a PITA you find adjusting pitch/tempo to be. It's absolutely true that even two otherwise identical M10s will run at slightly different speeds.

FWIW to my ears when people line up 2 different sources and match them, as in a SBD and an AUD using 2 unlinked decks, you can always hear some reverb and issues from the alignment. It is never a perfect match. It may not bother most people, but I find it to be less than desireable. I would go with a 4 channel deck every time. After all, that is what the deck was designed to do.

Consider where and how you record.  If you pickup a 4 channel recorder, which is probably the right choice, hold on to your existing M10  so that you can easily adapt and make the best of any situation.  When recording with mics placed near the board then it's far more convenient, less of a hassle, and less error prone to record both sources on one recorder.  But if you can place your mics in a more optimal location which is not near the board, then having a separate recorder for SBD and doing the file sync align/stretch afterwards can often be more practical than running long cables, if that's even an option.  If making a high quality recording is the goal that's an important option to have, given the importance of getting the mics in the most optimal recording location.

Current software tools makes for the possibility of pretty much error-free aligning and stretching of the resulting files from two separately clocked recorders, but one needs the correct software tools, the know how to use them correctly, and the motivation to take the time and make the effort do it right.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2016, 02:54:41 PM »

Consider where and how you record.  If you pickup a 4 channel recorder, which is probably the right choice, hold on to your existing M10  so that you can easily adapt and make the best of any situation.  When recording with mics placed near the board then it's far more convenient, less of a hassle, and less error prone to record both sources on one recorder.  But if you can place your mics in a more optimal location which is not near the board, then having a separate recorder for SBD and doing the file sync align/stretch afterwards can often be more practical than running long cables, if that's even an option.  If making a high quality recording is the goal that's an important option to have, given the importance of getting the mics in the most optimal recording location.

Current software tools makes for the possibility of pretty much error-free aligning and stretching of the resulting files from two separately clocked recorders, but one needs the correct software tools, the know how to use them correctly, and the motivation to take the time and make the effort do it right.

I was not talking about my own recordings. I just do not record this way. I was talking about shows posted I listen to. You can always hear some reverb, or some slight misalignment and to each his own, but I think a deck designed to eliminate that problem is a better choice. Your point is well taken though, there can be other considerations.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 04:26:26 PM by dallman »

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2016, 04:34:47 PM »
I was not talking about my own recordings. I just do not record this way. I was talking about shows posted I listen to. You can always hear some reverb, or some slight misalignment and to each his own, but I think a deck designed to eliminate that problem is a better choice.

I didn't assume you were, and completely agree that best practice is recording all channels using the same clock. But sometimes doing that is either not possible or not practical, and in those situations the use of two non-clock-linked recorders can make for a recording of superior quality than choosing a less ideal location for the microphones just so a single multichannel recorder can be placed close enough to the board to also record a SBD feed.

The part I completely disagree is the statement that one "can always hear some reverb, or some slight misalignment" in all recordings made from the combination of sources recorded on two non-clock-linked recorders, even when proper care has been taken to accurately sync the resulting files.  If you hear that stuff, it means the files weren't accurately and correctly sync'd.  It doesn't mean it's not possible to achieve.

Yes, such problems are quite common and quite possibly the rule rather than the exception for many posted shows made from a combination of files recorded using two non clock-linked recorders.  But it by no means is a forgone conclusion that those faults are unavoidable in this day and age of commonly available advanced tools for the accurate manipulation and synchronization of the files.  On the contrary, it's quite possible as long as one has the tools and is willing to make the effort to learn how to properly use them, and doing so today is much easier than it ever has been.  Granted that not long ago this used to be considerably more difficult and was more error-prone, but software advances move quickly.

I have recorded this way many times, originally out of necessity, and still do at times for reasons of practicality even though I now have a number of multichannel recorders.  It's not my prefered method as it requires additional work and careful attention to detail to avoid the problems you mention, but remains a valuable problem solving option.  It's a trade-off which demands more work afterwards to achieve identical quality.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2016, 08:00:15 PM »

That's what I was gonna say.
 :iamwithstupid:  :coolguy:

I have recorded this way many times, originally out of necessity, and still do at times for reasons of practicality (snip).  It's not my preferred method as it requires additional work and careful attention to detail to avoid the problems you mention, but remains a valuable problem solving option.  It's a trade-off which demands more work afterwards to achieve identical quality.

Oh yeah, that too.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 08:04:32 PM by morst »
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2016, 12:09:03 AM »
The part I completely disagree is the statement that one "can always hear some reverb, or some slight misalignment" in all recordings made from the combination of sources recorded on two non-clock-linked recorders, even when proper care has been taken to accurately sync the resulting files.  If you hear that stuff, it means the files weren't accurately and correctly sync'd.  It doesn't mean it's not possible to achieve.

You are correct. My statement was too strong. With proper care and preparation, it most certainly is possible. There is a lot of sloppy work out there though and that is because it is a process that takes some skill and patience.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2016, 01:20:30 AM »
As mentioned 2 recorders = better "backup" ...but also gives you the option to run rigs at different shows (like a festival). I might consider 2 M10's if I RARELY got the option to get a SBD patch and wanted the option to record 2 shows at once.

Personally I'd MUCH rather run a single 4 channel rig. Lining up the 2 sources is a piece of cake that way.

When I had a 4+ channel recorder I also had the M10. Most of the time I just ran the M10 because it was smaller and easier to use. I usually only broke out the multi-track when I had the freedom to record from whatever I wanted.

So...if it were me I'd pick up a 4 track recorder first and then save your pennies and pick up a M10 (or similar) in the future.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2016, 05:22:41 PM »
The question just struck me why Sony has limited itself to two track recorders with the M10 and D100 and not offered a 4 track XLR recorder?  It's like Sony has built two awesome recorders, but isn't interested in expanding to multitrack recorders? 

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2016, 05:29:55 PM »
I'd consider this:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=179130.0

I have one and LOVE it.  I am considering this as a second one and linking it as a slave unit to get 8-channels.  If you buy it then I can go and get the Schoeps MK capsules that I need instead.
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline robin0112358

• Taperssection Newbie
    • theatre of noise
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2016, 03:32:56 PM »
I think the 70D preamps sound just as good/better as the F8 pres

Not even close, but if all you are doing is feeding line level maybe you won't notice.

I recently had a chance to compare the two, while four of us were on expedition. The recordist with the 70D basically said that none of their recordings were decent. There were lots of noise and signal strength issues, plus reliability with a variety of microphones (including contacts). Besides this, the form factor is really only handy when mounted under a camera, as designed.

Finally, compare noise floor. The EIN of the F8 amps is a respectable 127 dBu (A weighted). The F4 has identical circuits. The 70D pre-amps measure 7 dB worse. That's not a little.

So, no, not even close.
Theatre of Noise contains info on recorders and mics. Plus rants about film, observations on politics, and other stuff.

Offline robin0112358

• Taperssection Newbie
    • theatre of noise
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2016, 03:37:29 PM »
The question just struck me why Sony has limited itself to two track recorders with the M10 and D100 and not offered a 4 track XLR recorder?  It's like Sony has built two awesome recorders, but isn't interested in expanding to multitrack recorders?

Who can ever figure out Sony?

They make a decent M10 but put two omni caps close together, thus killing the stereo field. Doh!

They make a larger and expensive unit but then forget to provide XLR inputs. Arg!

They put their best circuits into a MiniDisk recorder, but then cripple the file format.... only opening it when the units were due to be discontinued. ?!^$"£&*(!
Theatre of Noise contains info on recorders and mics. Plus rants about film, observations on politics, and other stuff.

Offline morst

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2016, 07:16:49 PM »
I recently had a chance to compare the two, while four of us were on expedition. The recordist with the 70D basically said that none of their recordings were decent. There were lots of noise and signal strength issues, plus reliability with a variety of microphones (including contacts). Besides this, the form factor is really only handy when mounted under a camera, as designed.
I take it this was not a rock and roll adventure, but more of a "natural soundscape" type thing?

Yeah, about that form factor. I like to set it up so I can see the meters, which often winds up with me running the DR upside down as I view it, due to the angle of the display!

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2016, 01:17:26 AM »
I think the 70D preamps sound just as good/better as the F8 pres

Not even close, but if all you are doing is feeding line level maybe you won't notice.

Finally, compare noise floor. The EIN of the F8 amps is a respectable 127 dBu (A weighted). The F4 has identical circuits. The 70D pre-amps measure 7 dB worse. That's not a little.

So, no, not even close.

Couple interesting videos about the noise:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dUjmYTB060

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5tGpKlNxhI

I don't hear any self noise in the latter video and it looks like he's plugging directly into the recorders. He's not comparing a F8 in the same setting but can you hear noise?

You may recognize the name sam mallery, he was the B&H review guy. I don't know how long he's been doing this review stuff on his own but I'm happy with it. 
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 01:20:25 AM by rastasean »
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline morst

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2016, 03:56:06 PM »

What's up with this video? They claim that a "sescom cable" is the only way to eliminate the noise... I gather that any attenuator would work to keep the camera's mic level from overloading,  but they just keep calling it THE AMAZING MAGICAL MIRACULOUS WONDERFUL SESCOM CABLE or some crap... WTH?  :smash:

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2016, 05:35:16 PM »

What's up with this video? They claim that a "sescom cable" is the only way to eliminate the noise... I gather that any attenuator would work to keep the camera's mic level from overloading,  but they just keep calling it THE AMAZING MAGICAL MIRACULOUS WONDERFUL SESCOM CABLE or some crap... WTH?  :smash:

yeah, audio snake oil cable! Too bad he didn't explain what it does.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.12 seconds with 59 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com