Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Photos of Safety Cable in use  (Read 4541 times)

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
  • Needs to get out more...
Photos of Safety Cable in use
« on: March 08, 2012, 12:00:38 PM »
Can someone provide photos of a safety cable in use? I am wanting to put a usm69i and a set of neumann km140s on an extension arm and want to be sure I am using the safety cable to maximum benefit. The usm69i would hurt.
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
Re: Photos of Safety Cable in use
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 12:55:42 PM »
I'm sure there are others scattered around TS but these two are the only ones I could find quickly.
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=151303.msg1944901#msg1944901

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 01:04:47 PM »
I'm sure there are others scattered around TS but these two are the only ones I could find quickly.
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=151303.msg1944901#msg1944901

thanks, I was just wondering where to place the cable. any others?
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 01:07:14 PM »
I'll try and add some more to that thread later tonight with different setups, but if anyone else can post theirs, I'd appreciate it also.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 02:49:30 PM »
not too easy to see but it appears the carabiner is the closest item to the end of the light mounting bar
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=153698.msg1945150#msg1945150

I also vaguely recall some other pics of this setup (or a similar one from team new england) that were posted which showed a safety cable on the extension. For some reason the names tgak and/or smokin joe come to mind with the pic. http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=110425.msg1663867#msg1663867

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 09:01:48 PM »
OK,.... a search of topic found this thread. And it is dead-on to my tale from this past weekend, in regard to safety precautions!

In this image, you can see the camera that is closest to my Dummy Head rig, and extension/clamp rig.
In setting that camera up, the videographer swung his tripod a bit getting it into position.  In doing that, the entire base piece at the top of the tripod, that the camera mounts to; it also acts as the panning swivel..... I don't know what its called. It was everything from the top of the legs, to the underside of the camera. That piece fell off of the tripod, from a couple of feet above the balcony edge. It fell down, and hit squarely on the top of the rail, which is pitched sharply to fall off away from the balcony seating side, and it slopes as if to fall into the crowd below.
That piece of the camera tripod is quite heavy; I picked it up to hand it back to the vid guy, as it bounced towards my side of our gear.  It landed squarely at the top of the wall, a triangular feature, and dented it pretty deeply. It then teetered for a second, before falling at our feet.
If it had fallen the other way, it was a good 20' to the seats below.  I don't know if anyone was sitting there yet, as this was a good 45 minutes before show time. But, there were musicians milling about, their parents, tech staff, etc., already in the hall.  This thing would have maimed or killed someone directly below it.

Offline if_then_else

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 11:51:44 PM »
OK,.... a search of topic found this thread. And it is dead-on to my tale from this past weekend, in regard to safety precautions!

In this image, you can see the camera that is closest to my Dummy Head rig, and extension/clamp rig.
In setting that camera up, the videographer swung his tripod a bit getting it into position.  In doing that, the entire base piece at the top of the tripod, that the camera mounts to; it also acts as the panning swivel..... I don't know what its called. It was everything from the top of the legs, to the underside of the camera. That piece fell off of the tripod, from a couple of feet above the balcony edge. It fell down, and hit squarely on the top of the rail, which is pitched sharply to fall off away from the balcony seating side, and it slopes as if to fall into the crowd below.
That piece of the camera tripod is quite heavy; I picked it up to hand it back to the vid guy, as it bounced towards my side of our gear.  It landed squarely at the top of the wall, a triangular feature, and dented it pretty deeply. It then teetered for a second, before falling at our feet.
If it had fallen the other way, it was a good 20' to the seats below.  I don't know if anyone was sitting there yet, as this was a good 45 minutes before show time. But, there were musicians milling about, their parents, tech staff, etc., already in the hall.  This thing would have maimed or killed someone directly below it.

Looks like one of the mid-sized or big Manfrotto tripod heads. I've got a similar sized one by Benro.
Usually, they're a PITA to get off again. I wonder how much force he must have exerted to make it fall down.

You'd want a really strong safety cable with those video heads.
BTW: I use one of these safety cables
https://m.thomann.de/gb/major_saveking_4mm_10m_40kg_silver.htm?o=27&search=1498017347
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 12:03:16 AM by if_then_else »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com