Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: attenuant at the mics or recorder?  (Read 8708 times)

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: attenuant at the mics or recorder?
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2010, 12:21:43 PM »
That's way beyond my comprehension-I don't know the technical stuff.

I am not too strong with the technical stuff myself; that's why I try to be careful to put lots of qualifiers in those posts!  In the previous one, as an example, I think you might actually need to measure the voltage from the CD player at the line input on the M10 to account for the input's impedance?  Not really sure...But I am sure about needing to know references for dB comparisons.  dBs are always ratios, so to compare them directly the references need to be known...

Maybe guysonic was right as I should have suspected. However even if unity gain in really 4 and you set the M10 to 6 it shouldn't really audibly effect the recording in a negative way since the M10's pre is very quiet.

Part of one of your earlier posts gives me further reason to suspect 6 as the estimate of unity.  You said:  "And as illconditioned reported months ago, settings above 6-7 add almost no gain (I tested that with a white noise track peaking at -30 dB). It appears that you can add approximately 14 dB of gain when going line in to the M10, but most all of it is added by the time the record level wheel hits 7/10."  Here, the reference level still isn't really known, but since you are comparing everything to dBFS on the M10 it doesn't matter (the unknown quantity ends up being in both the numerator and denominator of the ratio so it cancels).  But your finding, and that of illconditioned, makes 6 seem even more unlikely; I have a hard time imagining that the entire amount of gain you can add is the interval from 6 to 7...

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: attenuant at the mics or recorder?
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2010, 02:08:07 PM »
Part of one of your earlier posts gives me further reason to suspect 6 as the estimate of unity.  You said:  "And as illconditioned reported months ago, settings above 6-7 add almost no gain (I tested that with a white noise track peaking at -30 dB). It appears that you can add approximately 14 dB of gain when going line in to the M10, but most all of it is added by the time the record level wheel hits 7/10."  Here, the reference level still isn't really known, but since you are comparing everything to dBFS on the M10 it doesn't matter (the unknown quantity ends up being in both the numerator and denominator of the ratio so it cancels).  But your finding, and that of illconditioned, makes 6 seem even more unlikely; I have a hard time imagining that the entire amount of gain you can add is the interval from 6 to 7...

That certainly makes sense...
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com