Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: binaural recording with canine dummy head  (Read 3903 times)

Offline weroflu

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
binaural recording with canine dummy head
« on: May 11, 2011, 02:33:35 PM »
in light of the fact that dogs are known to have better hearing than us, would it not make sense to cast a dummy head and ears in the shape of your favorite canine?

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: binaural recording with canine dummy head
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 02:54:24 PM »
Possibly for quality AUD recordings of Dr. Dog, but not if your pooch only listens to poorly produced, clip-limited itune downloads via earbuds. The canine music audiophile is rarer than the endangered old white guy type. 

Fido don't file share.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 03:31:48 PM »
^^^ I don't know about that; I used to have a dog that loved music...She was particularly fond of "Seamus"...

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 04:12:37 PM »
I put microphones on my dog collar.  Does that count?  What did I get?  Well, a lot of scratching, moaning, groaning, sighing, etc.  Better to put the mics, spaced omnis, on either side of the entrance to his crate.  Or wear mics (binaural) and get up close to the dog.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 04:30:31 PM »
My neighbor once wanted to attach a tiny video cam to my cat to record her jungle roamings, but she prefers straight AUD audio and provides excellent, if non-verbal critiqe feedback to me on the ambient 'realism' of my better recordings.

..She was particularly fond of "Seamus"...

Moore or Floyd?
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline thunderbolt

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Music est vita!
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 07:01:05 PM »
I used to record binaural with my Sonic Studios using a Nerf football.  I mounted it vertically, stuck a straightened coat hanger through the middle, and mounted the mics on each end.  A lot cheaper than a purpose-built dummy head and it worked pretty well.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 07:23:30 PM »
I put microphones on my dog collar.  Does that count?  What did I get?  Well, a lot of scratching, moaning, groaning, sighing, etc.  Better to put the mics, spaced omnis, on either side of the entrance to his crate.  Or wear mics (binaural) and get up close to the dog.

Richard
Um you wear a dog collar?  ;D
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 05:59:51 AM »
..She was particularly fond of "Seamus"...

Moore or Floyd?

Floyd...She would sit between the speakers, ears pricked up, head cocked to one side, sometimes joining in on the howls...Pretty fond of the whale-song in "Echoes" too!

She was sort of a jazz-head, as well.  Particularly stuff from the hard-bop era... :)

Offline Seth01

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 05:48:04 AM »
This thread is all kinds of entertaining!
Mics: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4, CA-14 cards, CA-11 omnis, CAFS, Naiant X-X omnis, AT853 cards (with 4.7k mod)
Pres: Naiant Bigbox, CA-9100, CA-UGLY, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: Sony M-10, Zoom H4n, Edirol R-09 (retired)
Archive
eTree
Dime
YouTube Channel

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 07:30:19 AM »
Going back to the original question... I expect a dog's hearing comes from the inner ear/nerves, etc.  We have 2 dogs... a toy fox terrier with pointy ears that move around like a radar... and a lab with floppy ears that just hang, and probably cover his ear canal most of the time.  The second one seems to hear as well as the first one.

I've contemplated making a human dummy head, maybe just a nurf ball.  The main reason I don't is because I don't want to spend all night explaining to people what it is.  I think a dog head would require even more explaining.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline rhinowing

• Trade Count: (0)
    • SPLRA - Smashing Pumpkins Live Recording Association
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 07:24:47 PM »
My neighbor once wanted to attach a tiny video cam to my cat to record her jungle roamings, but she prefers straight AUD audio and provides excellent, if non-verbal critiqe feedback to me on the ambient 'realism' of my better recordings.

photographercat.com
Please contact me if you've ever taped the Smashing Pumpkins or a related group!

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 10:45:45 PM »
photographercat.com

Ground seems fertile for someone to raise the bar with a POV binaural audio / 3D video rig returning footage of battles with rodents and birds in slow motion HD playback. 

Would require cat-eye 3D glasses of course-

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.114 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com